Ford Mustang Forum banner

2012 Mustang Convertable Top Cleaning and Maintenance

9K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  locoandroid 
#1 ·
My name is Mike I'm new here...I just purchased a 2012 Mustang Convertable and would like to know what to use on the top to prevent fading from UV. As far as I know it is fabric, but I'm not entirely sure. I have an excellent product 303 Aviation to apply but want to make sure I'm using the right product, they do make both a vinyl cleaner and protectant and another for fabric. Any top tips would be appreciated-

Mike

#2 ·
Yeah, I would love to know also. I have not had a convertible before.

#3 ·
For routine cleaning and UV protection, I use DriWash Leather/Vynil cleaner.

Mr Clean Magic erasers and 50/50 Simple Green works for cleaning stains. Don't get too aggressive with convertible tops as you degrade the material.

#4 ·
Dont use this stuff on a cloth top. Go to autogeek.net and look at their detailing help area. They will show you how to determine your material and how to care for it. Most premium GTs came with the better cloth top in 2012. I use ragtopp cleaner/ sealer on my cloth top. They also make for other materials so make sure you order the right one. I nkow this is an old post, but for those newbies...

#5 ·
Go to AutoGeek.com, and scroll down the left side menu to Auto Detailing facts, tips, and Tricks. Than go to cleaning conv tops. It will give you all the info you need to keep your top up. I have an 07 GT conv, and the top looks just as good now as when it was new in 07. I've been using thw AutoGeek method for 7 years now.
GrumpysGT

#6 ·
Hi guys, I have a 2013 convertible and to keep it clean I use Meguiar's Convertible Top Cleaner. It comes in a spray bottle, like how a bottle Windex would come in and it is easy and quick to use and works WONDERFULLY! All you have to do is spray down the soft top with water, then spray the cleaner onto the soft top and gently rub the cleaner to help it break down dirt and stains, and finally rise off with water. When you rise it off it might make more suds, thats fine, just continue to wash it off and your convertible will look brand new!

#12 ·
I use this after a wash and the top is dry using a micro fiber cloth after experimenting.

My top was not 'black' from no treatment when I bough my '14. After several applications the light parts darkened and now the color is even throughout.

#7 ·
my convertible is pretty faded and ive done a few applications of black dye to it any recommendations on what to do to get the color back?

#10 ·
For those who don't know the easiest way to tell if a convertible top is vinyl or cloth is to put a small amount of water on the top and rub it in with your finger. If the water is absorbed into the top it is cloth, if it doesn't then it's vinyl. You definitely do not want to use products designed for cloth on vinyl or vis a visa. I use Ragg Topp convertible top cleaner (this can be used on either vinyl or cloth tops) a horse hair brush and Ragg Topps vinyl protectant every 3-6 months depending on exposure. This product is a little pricey but works great. My Mustang is a 2010 and the top still looks new. Most people think it is much newer than a 2010. There is videos on youtube explaining how to properly clean and protect convertible tops. Hope this helps,coffee2.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.