Ford Mustang Forum banner

A couple of my toys...

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  2k5GTC 
#1 ·
Hey all. Figured I might as well post some pics of my XM Satellite and Bluetooth installs, just in case someone needs ideas as to where to put them. I am working on a "hood" for the XM controller unit to keep the sun off it when the top is down. I'll post the results as soon as I figure it out! :shigrin

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
2k5GTC said:
Hey all. Figured I might as well post some pics of my XM Satellite and Bluetooth installs, just in case someone needs ideas as to where to put them. I am working on a "hood" for the XM controller unit to keep the sun off it when the top is down. I'll post the results as soon as I figure it out! :shigrin
How do you like the Motorola Bluetooth adapter so far ?

I'm currently shoping for one and never tested this one !

#3 ·
2k5GTC said:
How did you get the head unit on the ceiling near the dimmer lihgts like that? I must know this! :)

#4 ·
2k5GTC said:
Looks great. I wanted Sirius and a Kenwood Music Keg in our convertible and considered lots of places to mount the external controller, but never thought of putting it there. I finally decided to replace the head unit. The only double-DIN receiver Kenwood has is the one with a DVD player and LCD screen, so naturally I had to get that and the DVD navigation system to go with it. So I added satellite radio for only $3000! :hihi:

-- Roger
http://mustang.jadebox.com/

#5 ·
tw0scoops123 said:
How did you get the head unit on the ceiling near the dimmer lihgts like that? I must know this! :)
I fabricated a custom mounting bracket. I used 1/16" lexan and shaped it into the bracket. It is secured up inside the header panel with a couple of screws. The bracket and the back of the control unit were routed out to 1/2 their original thickness in order for the control unit cable to fit BEHIND the control unit itself, then up into the header, so no wires are showing. Pretty ingenious if I do say so myself. :rolleyes:

Attachments

#6 ·
jadebox said:
Looks great. I wanted Sirius and a Kenwood Music Keg in our convertible and considered lots of places to mount the external controller, but never thought of putting it there. I finally decided to replace the head unit. The only double-DIN receiver Kenwood has is the one with a DVD player and LCD screen, so naturally I had to get that and the DVD navigation system to go with it. So I added satellite radio for only $3000! :hihi:

-- Roger
http://mustang.jadebox.com/
Looks nice. Of course you had to get all the goodies. What good is a touch screen unit without all the bells and whistles! :hihi: I'm eventually going to put in the Pioneer double-din unit, if and when I am allowed to (probably never :doh: ).

#8 ·
I assume it runs thru the car speakers? or? and how much did it run?
Currently happy with just the earpiece. But its a toy ya gotta have ya know, lol

#9 ·
Stoenr said:
I assume it runs thru the car speakers? or? and how much did it run?
Currently happy with just the earpiece. But its a toy ya gotta have ya know, lol
I paid $139.00 at malcomwireless.com. With the Ford adapter cable ($50.00 from Ford), the Motorola unit (model # S9642) will mute the Shaker. I tried hooking the units speaker outputs to the adapter cables' aux audio inputs, but the moto unit doesn't have enough power to drive the car speakers. I could barely hear anything when I tested it. I'm thinking about hooking up a 25 or so watt amp between the moto unit and the shaker. But, I have other projects in mind with higher priority! :laughlitt

#10 ·
Hmm. for 200, I think Ill stick to my moto earpiece. more portable.

I think you might need to get the thing to auto close the top too! lol. Maybe a little windy.

Still a neat gadget.

#11 ·
Very nice. Are you running the xm on the aux input or ona radio signal? And how does the lights/sensor console thingy come off?

Love the location!

#12 ·
ultraclyde said:
Very nice. Are you running the xm on the aux input or ona radio signal? And how does the lights/sensor console thingy come off?

Love the location!
Can't run it through AUX yet. Only people that seem to be making an adapter right now is P.I.E. but they haven't put it into production yet.

#13 ·
ultraclyde said:

Love the location!
Right now I am using an FM modulator. The Terk XM Commander also has a digital direct output that, if and when the PIE adapter comes out, should feed the signal directly into the aux inputs.
The map light console just pops off with a bit of careful prying. Of course, I had to remove the entire header trim to do the mod. :)

#14 ·
Stoenr said:
Hmm. for 200, I think Ill stick to my moto earpiece. more portable.

I think you might need to get the thing to auto close the top too! lol. Maybe a little windy.

Still a neat gadget.
:rolleyes: Got my first call yesterday while the top was down. Wow. I had to scream at the mic for my Dad to hear me. Needless to say the remote mic for these things is not made for top down conversations! :doh: :wavey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.