Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Regional > United States > SouthEast

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Introductions | Mustang Lounge | Tech Forums | Racing Forums | Regional Forums

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 12-14-2005   #1 (permalink)
JB02GT is offline Senior Member

4.6L Member

JB02GT's Country Flag  View JB02GT's 10 photos
The Hills of East   Tennessee
JB02GT is on a distinguished road
Default Mustang salvage in Knoxville, TN area

For anyone who lives in the Knoxville, TN area, I found a couple of salvage yards ('junkyards' doesn't seem right when referring to 'Stangs) today that specialize in Mustangs. One is called Mustang Performance Parts (hereafter MPP) and is on Douglas Dam Road (off Asheville highway - from Knoxville, take the right fork at Four Way In - I actually have a card with their phone #, but my wallet is downstairs and I am too lazy to get it right now, but will post it later if anyone wants). The other is called Performance Parts (hereafter PP - from Knoxville, take the right fork then stay on Asheville highway, about four or five miles beyond Douglas Dam Road). I went looking for salvage interior appearance pieces such as Bullitt edition stuff, aftermarket billet pieces, etc. There were actually a couple of Bullitts at MPP. They had 'resurrected' one (black) and had it for sale (but without the Bullitt wheels - it had bright Cobra wheels), while the other (highland green) was beyond saving and had been pretty much stripped of every Bullitt part that wasn't ruined. The guy told me that they have had several Bullitts in there but the others were so far gone they have already been stripped and crushed. Man, with only a limited number made, if Bullitts are getting thrashed that badly only four years later, I wonder how many will be left ten years from now.

Anyway, they didn't have the salvage appearance stuff I wanted, but I imagine that I would have had better luck if I had been looking for a fender, etc. or maybe mechanical parts. I didn't see any 'classic' Mustangs at either place, but that doesn't mean they weren't there. Both yards were pretty big to be filled with mostly Mustangs. One of them also specializes in Jeeps, but I can't remember which one.

MPP has a few new UPR billet pieces in stock, but not many. PP has quite a few of the standard interior parts and either place can get most anything you want. I have thought about ordering some pieces directly from UPR, but it is kind of nice to see what you are getting at the point of sale, not to mention the prices are about the same or maybe a little cheaper from PP than on the UPR website.

Both places said that they have 'rebuildable' Mustangs and both, but especially MPP, had some apparent Frankenstangs for sale. Was kind of on a mission, so I didn't look too closely at those. Did sit in the black Bullitt they redid, just to check out the seats. I decided that, as cool as they look, I like my regular GT leather seats much better. I am too big for seats with side bolstering!

On the subject of UPR, you can also order that stuff through Racing Innovations in West Knoxville. Those guys are mostly into imports, but are pretty cool guys and knowledgeable about Mustangs.

Most long time Mustang owners in this area may already know about all of these places, but I thought I would post for folks in the Knoxville/East Tennessee area who, like myself, are just discovering what resources are out there. I have been driving and going to junkyards for about 17 years now. In fact, the motor for my first car came from a junkyard, but most of the junkyards of which I was already aware have very few if any Mustangs, so I am glad to have found these two. In a couple of days, I plan to head the other direction and see what I can find in the Athens, TN area. If anyone has any experience dealing with these places, or any information about other salvage or new Mustang resources in this area, please post.

FInal note: I didn't see a single yellow Mustang at either salvage yard. Maybe this is a good sign for me and means that yellow Stangs don't wreck!

The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits - Drive-by Truckers lyric

Some say, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend." It is wise to remember, though, that sometimes the enemy of your enemy hates your guts, too. - Me.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2006   #2 (permalink)
BlackLX91 is offline Rookie

Tn
BlackLX91 is on a distinguished road

I live kinda close to Knoxville & Im looking for some parts for my 91' Lx 5.0. If you have their numbers or know of any websites or salvage yards I could find some interior and other parts pretty reasonable please let me know, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks & Happy New Year

*=Future Mods=*
- Long Tube Headers
- Trick Flow Intake
- Cobra R Wheels
- Rebuild 302
- Shift Kit
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 01-03-2006   #3 (permalink)

4.6L Member

One of them is called 'Mustang Performance" and I have their business card. The information on it basically reads as follows:

Mustang Performance
Specializing in New & Used Parts
Rebuildable Wrecks
609 Tuckahoe Rd. * Kodak, TN 37764
Approx. 2 miles from Exit 407 (I-40)

Brad Huffaker * Owner

Phone: 865 - 933 - 2814 * Toll Free: 866-739-7156

I don't have the business card for the other place (Performance Parts), but the guys at Mustang Performance directed me there and I am sure they will do the same for you if they don't have what you need. Both places seem to refer customers to the other if they don't have what the customer wants and the other guys do. Performance parts is actually where I will probably be going most of the time. I want to paint some interior pieces and do not want to paint my originals. I started with plastic part of the dash that goes around the gauge cluster and has the hole for the headlight pull. I bought that piece for $10 at Performance Parts and can get door pulls (the next step) for about $30 for the pair. He had the piece I bought in the warehouse portion of his store, already removed from the salvaged car. Performance Parts also has a lot more UPR in stock, although either place can get UPR pieces.

If you go to www.performancemustangparts.com you will be redirected to something like repairablewreck.com. From the directions given there, the address and some of the pictures shown, I think this is Performance Parts website. If not, then there are three Mustang salvage yards in that same area, but I am pretty sure it is their website. I got the web address from a sign on the Interstate in Sweetwater, TN of all places and hoped it was in the Sweetwater/Athens area as that is actually much closer to me than Kodak and New Market, but when I went to the website, saw the address and pictures, I was pretty sure it was the same place I had been. Good luck and let me know how it turns out if you deal with either of them. I haven't dealt with these places except the one time and will be interested to see how others fare.

The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits - Drive-by Truckers lyric

Some say, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend." It is wise to remember, though, that sometimes the enemy of your enemy hates your guts, too. - Me.
Unread 01-19-2006   #4 (permalink)
nc_stang_girl is offline Rookie

nc_stang_girl's Country Flag  View nc_stang_girl's 5 photos
Southeast   North Carolina
nc_stang_girl is on a distinguished road

I really like the guys at MPP. We met them at Fun Ford Weekend at Bristol a few years back, and they're really nice guys. So now we stop and talk to them every year when we're at FFW. They've got some great deals too.
Unread 02-13-2006   #5 (permalink)
TonyBolton is offline Rookie

TonyBolton's Country Flag
Loudon, TN   Tennessee
TonyBolton is on a distinguished road

New guy here..........

You can visit www.repairablewreck.com for website searching.
Unread 02-23-2006   #6 (permalink)
Snake Pliskin is offline Senior Member

4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Snake Pliskin's Country Flag
Lenoir City   Tennessee
Snake Pliskin is on a distinguished road

I have gotten parts from both the places you mentioned. They regularly advertise in the Bargain Mart. I have had good dealings with both. The one nearer to Sevierville stays pretty much into stangs whereas the one off Asheville Hwy does Jeeps too. Both have at least a few pieced back together cars on the lot at all times. I allmost bought an ex South Carolina SSP from one a few years back but some other guy from L.C. beat me to it. I saw it in L.C. about a month later. The best thing I ever got stang wise from Mustang Salvage was Robert Hindman's phone number and shop location. If you haven't heard of him just pick up ANY copy of MM&FF or 5.0 and look for the yellow UPR Cobra or his brother Gene's Gold LX. They are the most dominating forces nationally in mustang bracket racing...and they have a shop that mods others cars when they are not racing. Hence pulley and Diablo tune for my snake, thanks Robert.
Unread 02-23-2006   #7 (permalink)

4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Pliskin
I have gotten parts from both the places you mentioned. They regularly advertise in the Bargain Mart. I have had good dealings with both. The one nearer to Sevierville stays pretty much into stangs whereas the one off Asheville Hwy does Jeeps too. Both have at least a few pieced back together cars on the lot at all times. I allmost bought an ex South Carolina SSP from one a few years back but some other guy from L.C. beat me to it. I saw it in L.C. about a month later. The best thing I ever got stang wise from Mustang Salvage was Robert Hindman's phone number and shop location. If you haven't heard of him just pick up ANY copy of MM&FF or 5.0 and look for the yellow UPR Cobra or his brother Gene's Gold LX. They are the most dominating forces nationally in mustang bracket racing...and they have a shop that mods others cars when they are not racing. Hence pulley and Diablo tune for my snake, thanks Robert.
I have heard of Robert Hindman, but have no idea where his shop is located. I am a long way off from needing a tune (lots of $ and parts, in other words - maybe even a couple of years), but it would be nice to know where to get a good one when I am in the market.

I saw some of the 'rebuilt' cars at Mustang Salvage. They had a Bullitt for sale there and I took the opportunity to sit in it because I had heard how much better the seats were than in a regular GT. I have to say, probably because of my size, I disagree with that. My GT seats, because they are more flat, are much more comfortable to me. That Bullitt did look nice, though. I didn't drive it but, at least cosmetically, it looked like they had done a good job. I like the Fox body racer that is in their showroom. My wife can't drive a stick, so I joked that she should get that one since it is an auto.

Unread 02-23-2006   #8 (permalink)
Snake Pliskin is offline Senior Member

4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Snake Pliskin's Country Flag
Lenoir City   Tennessee
Snake Pliskin is on a distinguished road

Robert Hindman's shop is on Tazewell Pike. I think his father's shop is called Black Oak Automotive but don't quote me on that. Robert's shop is next door. His phone number is (865) 688-7890. We are very lucky to have such a knowledgable championship winning guy in our backyard. He won mod moter again this year which includes a 05 Gt from Ford.:eyepoppin You should stop by just to see what he's got and hear his reccomendations, you'll walk away with something. It's really neat just to see the tons of trophys and articles on him and his brother that are all over the shop. My wife hates it when I say I'm going over to Robert's whether it be Hindman for Mustang parts or Farnsworth in Vonore for guns.
Unread 02-24-2006   #9 (permalink)

4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Pliskin
Robert Hindman's shop is on Tazewell Pike. I think his father's shop is called Black Oak Automotive but don't quote me on that. Robert's shop is next door. His phone number is (865) 688-7890. We are very lucky to have such a knowledgable championship winning guy in our backyard. He won mod moter again this year which includes a 05 Gt from Ford.:eyepoppin You should stop by just to see what he's got and hear his reccomendations, you'll walk away with something. It's really neat just to see the tons of trophys and articles on him and his brother that are all over the shop. My wife hates it when I say I'm going over to Robert's whether it be Hindman for Mustang parts or Farnsworth in Vonore for guns.
Now Farnsworth's I do know. I've bought a couple of guns from there and that is where I almost always go for ammo. I was there a couple of weekends ago and one of the other customers had a red 05/06 GT with the tri-blade 'spinners' on his Bullitts. They looked good enough that I may have to consider trying to get ahold of some of those for my Bullitt rims. At least I think I have heard that they are available as an aftermarket add-on to 'regular' Bullitt wheels.

Unread 12-19-2010   #10 (permalink)
mikeisenuff is offline Rookie

mikeisenuff's Country Flag
Knoxville   Tennessee
mikeisenuff is on a distinguished road
Default Rude guys at peformance parts

I went to Performance parts mustang salvage and i asked the guy a question and he picked up the phone and started talking to one of his buddies. irritated me pretty bad cause he stayed on the phone with me standing there for a good 20 minutes. another guy walked out of a backroom and sat behind the counter so i asked him a question and he said "i dint work here i hate mustangs" so i will probably not be going back to that place. just really really really bad customer service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162