Ford Mustang Forum banner

Need 302 Engine advice

679 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  zray 
#1 ·
I have a 1966 Mustang Coupe that currently has a straight 6 200 engine with a C4 transmission. I want to install a 302 but not exactly sure what all i would need. I will need a new crossmember because of the bigger oil pan. i think a new wiring harness. new dual exhaust and I believe a suspension change will be necessary. Is there anything else that I will need to do. I appreciate any feedback

#2 ·
Yes, a lot of the suspension will need to change: spindles, springs, wheels too. I sure someone will chime in with a complete list.

Sent you a PM regarding the crossmember. I sell a darn good one that you might be interested in.

Shameless plug:

Ads

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...le-street-competition-engine-crossmember.html

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...6-street-competition-engine-crossmembers.html

Reviews:

Zray cross member review - Vintage Mustang Forums

Competition Engine Crossmember Review - Vintage Mustang Forums

Review excerpts:

"....What I really noticed is that I don't fight it through the turns now, the steering wheel stays in one place...."

"......I took the car for a ride, and maybe it's in my mind, but it’s a night and day difference. It feels a lot more solid in the turns now and the suspension even feels better over bumps. Eliminated a few squeaks also. it's also nice to jack the car up and not watch the x member bend like the stocker..."

",......Took my Vert for a drive afterwards and I could definitely feel a difference. The combination of the Crossmember, export brace and a Monte Carlo bar has completely changed the way the car handles and drives. So much more solid!...."

"....I have noticed that the car has a much more aggressive feel, not as much movement in the front end. I could not be happier!...."

"....Update. Took it to an autocross and I've even more impressed with this thing. Steering was incredibly sharp and the car transitioned quickly through slaloms. No more vague steering feel. More like pinpoint precision. I got within .2 seconds of fast time of day ( 2008 BMW M3 with an advanced level driver ). A '65 Mustang matching times with a BMW M3?? LOL
*Very happy with this crossmember..."

#3 ·
the crossmember is the same for both. I did the swap years ago.
you need trans, suspension , steering, brakes, driveshaft, radiator, wheels, spindles, rearend
wiring is the same I used stock didn't need to change. so will say you need kit for senders but I didn't.

#4 ·
I might have misread the OP, but it sounds like he's going with a a larger non-stock Oil pan for his new V-8. In which case he'll need a different crossmember. If this is not the case, then as you say, the 6 cyl. crossmember will fit.

But In any case, an improved (non stock) crossmember will benefit the car in several ways, regardless of the fitment issue. The stock crossmember does little to stiffen the lower unibody, and does nothing to stabilize the lower control arm pivot points, a well known weak spot that hurts steering precision.

Z

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.