Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > SVT Cobra Mustang > SVT Cobra Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Introductions| Mustang Lounge | SVT Cobra Talk | SVT Cobra Tech | Mustang Tech | Tech | Racing | Regional

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 04-05-2012   #1 (permalink)
imjrk is offline PONY Member

5.0L Member

imjrk's Country Flag
Chilton   Wisconsin
imjrk is on a distinguished road
Default wiper switch issue

I am having an issue with the wipers on an ’01 Cobra. The wiper switch did not work in any position but “High”. And when I turn the switch off the wipers stop wherever they happen to be, they do not finish the cycle and stop in the “parked” position.

I changed the multi-function switch and the only thing that changed is the wipers now sweep at low speed instead of the previous high speed. The wipers still only work when the switch is in the “Hi” speed position.

Did I possibly get a bad multi-function switch? But, it is doing the same thing as before I changed the switch which makes me think it is something else. I do not have any clues what else may be the issue.

Thank You
Have a great day
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2012   #2 (permalink)
2Manystangs is offline Banned

4.6L Member

2Manystangs's Country Flag
Tampa   Florida
2Manystangs is on a distinguished road

you try disconnecting the battery for about 15 minutes? The ECU may need a good reboot
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 04-05-2012   #3 (permalink)

5.0L Member

imjrk's Country Flag
Chilton   Wisconsin

I'll give that a try and let you know if it fixed it; Thanks.
Unread 04-05-2012   #4 (permalink)

5.0L Member

imjrk's Country Flag
Chilton   Wisconsin

Left the battery unplugged for half an hour, no change in the operation of the wipers. Need some other ideas.

Thank You
Have a great day
Unread 04-06-2012   #5 (permalink)

5.0L Member

imjrk's Country Flag
Chilton   Wisconsin

I pulled the relays from under the hood, the wipers stopped working, I swapped the relays between the two places, no change. i.e. both relays allow the wipers to operate on “HI” when either is placed in the place holder closest to the engine. When either relay is placed in the second position from the engine, wipers still will not operate in intermittent or “Lo”.

I can hear a “click” coming from the engine compartment when I switch positions on the wiper switch. Any ideas what is not allowing the wipers to operate in “lo” or intermittent?

Thank You
Have a great day
Unread 07-10-2012   #6 (permalink)
SuperSixSleeper is offline Rookie

SuperSixSleeper's Country Flag
Sanford   North Carolina
SuperSixSleeper is on a distinguished road

I am having the same issue with my 99 Cobra, except mine works in "Lo" and "High" positions and then stops in the intermittent ones.

I'll try unplugging the battery first to see if that works and if not then I'll swap in a used multi-function switch to see if that fixes it. It might be a few days before I have time to swap the switch, but I'll post the results.

I also have a short somewhere that blanks the odometer anywhere from 1-5 mins and then returns to normal. I'm curious as to whether these problems are related.
Unread 07-19-2012   #7 (permalink)
RockinThe302 is offline Apprentice

RockinThe302's Country Flag  View RockinThe302's 1 photo
Richmond   Virginia
RockinThe302 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSixSleeper View Post

I also have a short somewhere that blanks the odometer anywhere from 1-5 mins and then returns to normal. I'm curious as to whether these problems are related.
This is a common problem in the 99-03 F150s also. I've driven 3 f150s that have this happen, the worst being the odometer stays blank and only comes on for like a minute then goes blank again. It's probably the solder joints for the odometer. Over time the solder may start to fade. Heat also comes into the play. On hot days, the solder can heat up and become semi-liquid and move away from the connections. I would recommend looking into it, but from what I've seen, you would have to apply some solder to the joints where the original solder has failed. You just need to remove the gauge cluster, get a solder gun or solder iron, some rosin core solder (not acid core), steady hands and it shouldn't be too hard. Hope this helps.

The wife's car: 1993 Mustang LX 2.3 Auto, stock for now, besides Sony stereo
Unread 07-21-2012   #8 (permalink)

5.0L Member

imjrk's Country Flag
Chilton   Wisconsin

Speaking of 99-03 F150’s, I do not have any gauge cluster issues, but I do have the same wiper issue with my ‘99 F150 that I am having with the ’01 Cobra. Put a new multi-function switch in both and still have issues. With the F150 they didn’t work at all, so I cut some wires and put the wipers on a toggle. With the toggle switch they only swipe at fast intermittent which is fine.
But with the Cobra, I am not cutting wires. The wipers recently stopped working completely, good thing we are in a drought and can’t buy any rain. But I do need to get these wipers functioning again, but do not know where to go from here, if you read my previous posts on this.
Thank You
Have a great day
Unread 08-01-2012   #9 (permalink)
SuperSixSleeper is offline Rookie

SuperSixSleeper's Country Flag
Sanford   North Carolina
SuperSixSleeper is on a distinguished road

I just had some other work done by a great mechanic and he said the wiper problem could be from one of three things: the multifunction switch, the control module (in the motor), or the car fuzes being bad. Unfortunately I did not have time for him to test the wipers that day. For my Cobra, I'm guessing it is the control module that is not functioning properly since the wipers still work on fast and slow settings. I should have time to stop by his shop tomorrow and if so I'll post the results of the test.

I have a solder gun and have taken a part the gauge cluster in my v6 Mustang before so it shouldn't be much trouble.
Unread 08-04-2012   #10 (permalink)
RockinThe302 is offline Apprentice

RockinThe302's Country Flag  View RockinThe302's 1 photo
Richmond   Virginia
RockinThe302 is on a distinguished road

There's also something else that may be a possibility. On latemodelrestoration.com, I've seen a wiring harness for the multifunction switch. The description says it was a common problem for the 94-04 Mustang wiring harnesses to melt due to circuit overload and stop working. Looking at the terminals in the harness and the prongs of the multifunction switch in my haynes catalog, the harness matches up for the wiper section of the switch. It may fix it, may not. Just throwin suggestions out

The wife's car: 1993 Mustang LX 2.3 Auto, stock for now, besides Sony stereo
Unread 08-10-2012   #11 (permalink)

5.0L Member

imjrk's Country Flag
Chilton   Wisconsin

I have tried everything suggested and I am still coming up empty. I changed the multi-function switch months ago, wipers still only worked on high, no low or intermittent. Last month even high would no longer function.

Put in new wiper motor last night, no change. Changed the wiring harness from the multi-function switch to the plug under the dash today, no change.

To describe the power I have going to the motor, looking from the plug side towards the wiper motor, the left most wire is a white one and lights up my test light when the switch is on high. BUT, it will not run the motor. The next one is blue with red stripe and is supposed to run the low speed. There is no power coming in on that wire.

On both of these terminals on the motor, when I supply 12 volts directly from the battery to either of the terminals, they operate the motor.

The middle wire on the plug is ground. The next wire to the right is hot whenever the ignition switch is on. The last wire has no power going through no matter what position the wiper switch is in.
I have spliced wires near the wiper motor; the only wire coming in from the firewall to the plug that will run the wiper motor is the green one. The white one will light up the test light, but will not power the wiper motor.

I have come to the conclusion that I can either pay the stealer BIG $$$$ to try to fix this issue, or I can splice in a toggle switch like I did for my F150. I will probably go the toggle switch route.

If anyone has any other ideas, I am open to suggestions.

Thank You
Have a great day
Unread 08-16-2012   #12 (permalink)

5.0L Member

imjrk's Country Flag
Chilton   Wisconsin

Went the rocker switch route; wipers function, but have not driven it in rain to test how well. I took the foglight switch from a 94 GT parts car and put it in the console “hole” that would house the retractable top switch on a ragtop. Looks like it has always been there.
Spliced a wire from the green wire at the wiper motor plug and ran the wire through the firewall to a terminal on the rocker switch on the console. Then ran a wire from the other terminal on the switch on the console back through the firewall to the blue/w red stripe wire on the wiper motor plug. This powers the “LO” speed on the wiper motor.
Not the way I wanted to do this, but I ran out of suggestions of how to fix the original problem.
Thank You
Have a great day
Unread 08-17-2012   #13 (permalink)
Quan Cheese is online now GT Member

4.6L Member

Quan Cheese's Country Flag
Chester County   Pennsylvania
Quan Cheese is on a distinguished road

You need to replace the wiper motor. There is a sensor in there. Had this problem on my 98 z28
Unread 08-17-2012   #14 (permalink)

5.0L Member

imjrk's Country Flag
Chilton   Wisconsin

I did replace the wiper motor, multi-function switch, wiring harness and checked the relays, all to no avail. Luckily the auto parts store took the new motor back and gave a full refund because it worked no different than the original one that was in there.

Thank you
Have a great day
Unread 08-25-2012   #15 (permalink)
hotcobra03 is offline PONY Member

hotcobra03's Country Flag
poteet   Texas
hotcobra03 is on a distinguished road

do any of you with wiper issue have a different radio installed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162