Ford Mustang Forum banner

2000 V6 Manual Driveline Issues?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  IbnAlfreak 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I just bought my Mustang about a month ago and after the euphoria wore off, I am now left realizing that I may have some serious driveline issues. There are a ton of different "symptoms" my Stang is exhibiting that has me a little worried. Any help on what may be the issue is highly appreciated. I hate asking people for help to narrow stuff down, but I really just hope I didn't sink money into a Stang that looked good but was mechanically s***.

What I know (told by mechanic):
- Rear differential bearings will need redone.
- New Clutch will need put in soon.
- Transmission fluid is somewhat used but clean and free of metal fragments.

What I'm worried about:
- Transmission is loud. When I am in 3-4 gear @ 3-4k RPM, it makes a loud whining noise. (Example of when I am entering highway speed)
- When I come to a stop, I hear/feel a grinding noise. Only occurs when I come to a slow stop. Transmission/Diff/or Brake issue?
- Sometimes have issues getting into reverse. If I let the car roll back, I can get it to go into gear and it will reverse. There is a grinding noise that I can hear/feel when reversing slowly that has me really concerned. (this is one of my biggest concerns)
- Car squeaks when in neutral or at low RPMs. When clutch is pressed IN, the squeaking goes away, thought this was a throwout at first but it would be the opposite.

Other notes:
Car shifts nicely 99% of the time. Doesn't pop out of gear and doesn't grind when shifting, not sure if that helps but it might be useful info.

See less See more
#2 ·
First things first, get the rear end rebuilt.

-your transmission issue is normal, almost every transmission has that issue due to no syncro for the reverse, plus a straight cut gear minus a helical cut gear.

-grinding noise i would assume it is due to the rear end or brakes.

-im going to assume your trans isnt making the whining noise, typically an improper preload on a pinion causes that, or a worn pinion bearing aswell.

If you do get it rebuilt take it to a reputable rear end shop or a ford dealer. Either way it will cost some cash to get the rear end proper again, hoping the gears are not scorn or broken. Good luck keep us posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.