Signal Switch or Wiper Motor??? - Ford Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
 
knightzreturnz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Seaside
Posts: 86
 
Send a message via AIM to knightzreturnz Send a message via MSN to knightzreturnz Send a message via Yahoo to knightzreturnz Send a message via Skype™ to knightzreturnz
Signal Switch or Wiper Motor???

I have a 2001 stang auto v6 and i have a problem my windshield wipers don't work at all but they worked for a lil bit off and on then just stopped working completely

I would like to know if i need to replace the wiper motors or the turn signal switch because the signal switch is not turning on my high beam lights at all the lights turn off when i put the switch into high beams
(wait is high beams pulling twards me or away when using the switch??)

(because i pull twards me to turn the lights on and pull away for to cut off with the light switch still on)

(i think i confused myself a lil :nogrinner)

Any ideas???

Any questions just ask

Would like to know before tomorrow

Soon to be completely brought back to life

Then comes mods to make "The V6 From Hell"

Catch me if you can when im dipping from the cops:hihi:
knightzreturnz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009
Senior Member
V6 Member
 
232-K7's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Cape Coral
Posts: 2,871
 
Send a message via AIM to 232-K7
well theres 3 things you could do that would give you a good idea as to what's going on.

1. check your fuses...:hihi:

2. find an etm for your year/model car, dissasemble the steering column plastic covers, remove the connector from the multifunction switch, and using the etm, wire-jump the appropriate pins which will bypass the switch. if the wipers turn on, you need to replace the multifunction switch.

3. go to autozone/harborfreight and get yourself a $10 testlight(which will also make checking all your fuses much easier), remove your cowl to gain access to the wiper motor, disconnect the connector going to the wiper switch ,turn the wiper switch to the on position, and use your testlight to see if the wiper motors are getting power to that connector. if the wiper motor is getting power, then the motor needs to be replaced.

also, when you press the switch in to spray washer fluid, does anything spray out?

it sounds to me like your multifunction switch is going to be the culprit, since your highbeams are also inop.

-2000 3.8L TKO600, 1.8 60ft, 8.71 @ 81mph
-1988 Jeep XJ, bone stock 2wd
-1994 Jeep XJ 4wd, 3" lift, 31" tires.. rust in peace..
-1997 Jeep XJ 4wd, 7" lift, 35" tires, front/rear lockers

-Bronze Level Porsche Technician
232-K7 is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009
Made Member
V6 Member
 
pyro1730's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Killingworth
Posts: 354
 
If it does turn out to be the multi-function switch it'll run you about 80 dollars or so from ford, though autozone had one for about 40. I just replaced my multi-function switch cause It was messing with my turn signals. Good luck with the problem though.

98 V-6, AM CAI 134 Hp 194 ft-lbs of torque (Killed by guard rail and driver error )

03 Subaru WRX- 195 Hp 210 ft-lbs it goes wubwubwub.

"Quit your frowning and pick up your browning"
pyro1730 is offline  
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
 
knightzreturnz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Seaside
Posts: 86
 
Send a message via AIM to knightzreturnz Send a message via MSN to knightzreturnz Send a message via Yahoo to knightzreturnz Send a message via Skype™ to knightzreturnz
Quote:
Originally Posted by 232-K7 View Post
well theres 3 things you could do that would give you a good idea as to what's going on.

1. check your fuses...:hihi:

2. find an etm for your year/model car, dissasemble the steering column plastic covers, remove the connector from the multifunction switch, and using the etm, wire-jump the appropriate pins which will bypass the switch. if the wipers turn on, you need to replace the multifunction switch.

3. go to autozone/harborfreight and get yourself a $10 testlight(which will also make checking all your fuses much easier), remove your cowl to gain access to the wiper motor, disconnect the connector going to the wiper switch ,turn the wiper switch to the on position, and use your testlight to see if the wiper motors are getting power to that connector. if the wiper motor is getting power, then the motor needs to be replaced.

also, when you press the switch in to spray washer fluid, does anything spray out?

it sounds to me like your multifunction switch is going to be the culprit, since your highbeams are also inop.
ok ill go pic up a testlight

and my check engine light came on later today and i would like to know how to use the reader i have for the car i know in other cars its under the driver side dash but i cant find it on the stang (i thinx its in the engine bay right??? but where??)

an yes i jus checked them they spray right out no problem what would it have ment if they didnt spray out???

i should get all this checked by monday and if i have any problems or questions ill be back

oh ya where are the fuses??? in the engine bay or under the dash sry im still new to this

Soon to be completely brought back to life

Then comes mods to make "The V6 From Hell"

Catch me if you can when im dipping from the cops:hihi:
knightzreturnz is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009
Apprentice
 
green4money00's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: woodbridge
Posts: 140
 
its under the drivers side dash. keep looking
green4money00 is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009
Senior Member
V6 Member
 
232-K7's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Cape Coral
Posts: 2,871
 
Send a message via AIM to 232-K7
the fuse for the wipers is in the fusebox under the driver's dash.

and the obd2 connector is in sort of an odd spot...


Signal Switch or Wiper Motor???-oddspot4obd2....jpg

-2000 3.8L TKO600, 1.8 60ft, 8.71 @ 81mph
-1988 Jeep XJ, bone stock 2wd
-1994 Jeep XJ 4wd, 3" lift, 31" tires.. rust in peace..
-1997 Jeep XJ 4wd, 7" lift, 35" tires, front/rear lockers

-Bronze Level Porsche Technician
232-K7 is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
 
knightzreturnz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Seaside
Posts: 86
 
Send a message via AIM to knightzreturnz Send a message via MSN to knightzreturnz Send a message via Yahoo to knightzreturnz Send a message via Skype™ to knightzreturnz
ok thanx yall ill check it tomorrow

Soon to be completely brought back to life

Then comes mods to make "The V6 From Hell"

Catch me if you can when im dipping from the cops:hihi:
knightzreturnz is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
 
knightzreturnz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Seaside
Posts: 86
 
Send a message via AIM to knightzreturnz Send a message via MSN to knightzreturnz Send a message via Yahoo to knightzreturnz Send a message via Skype™ to knightzreturnz
Quote:
Originally Posted by 232-K7 View Post
the fuse for the wipers is in the fusebox under the driver's dash.

and the obd2 connector is in sort of an odd spot...


Attachment 72058
ok now i have a new problem that jus came up today ontop of the olds ones

ok let me start from the top

i stopped at wamu after work to get some gas money:shiny: and when i hoped back in the car an started it everything was fine until i pulled out of wamu on to the street the car started to pout like it was out of gas(but i had a half a tank) then the whole car started to shaking so i pulled over and rpm where only staying in 500-1000 then it stopped for a minute so i tried to make my way home hoping it would let me

as i took off the car shifted in to 2nd gear i felt it and then tried to go in to third but it just kind of stalled out a lil and the rpm's would back to 1000-500rpm(i really mean 500 not 5000)

then the wiredest thing happened the engine cut off along with the power steering and my battery light came on but just abt everything else in the car was working so i put my emergince lights on then tried to get as far i could i got to the sidewalk then i cut my car off an turned everything in the car off so i waited for abt 10-15 minutes an cut the car back on it turned on fine and everything was going fine until i made it to a stop light which took forever to change and right before it changed the started it all over again first with pouting then cutting the engine with lights still on

so i pulled over again this time at a store parking lot then i cut the car off an called my dad for help cause i didnt think i was going to get the car back home

(i know this is long)

my dad was in another city so it took him abt 30mins to get to me i turned the car back on and again it started with no problems so we let it run for abt 15mins then i remembered he had the code reader so i hook it up to my car an it pulled up all this

P0455(evap large leak)
P0457(evap small leak)(i think)
MIL
MONITRS
0 INC
MISFIRE
FUEL
COMP
CATLYST
EVAP
02 SNSR
02 HTR
EGR

this is exatly how the code reader put everything

oh yes to finish the story we decied to c if it would make it home from there so i put it in reverse backed out and as i was turning my power steering was really easy to turn and didnt make any squeeks like it usually would

then put it in to drive and drove all the way home fine with no porblems (eventho i ran most of the lights:hihi

oh yes and i forgot to mention that at abt 4000rpm's in nutarl or park my engine will misfire and never get passed that. what mite u think it is????

(told u it was long):nogrinner

Soon to be completely brought back to life

Then comes mods to make "The V6 From Hell"

Catch me if you can when im dipping from the cops:hihi:
knightzreturnz is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
 
knightzreturnz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Seaside
Posts: 86
 
Send a message via AIM to knightzreturnz Send a message via MSN to knightzreturnz Send a message via Yahoo to knightzreturnz Send a message via Skype™ to knightzreturnz
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightzreturnz View Post
ok now i have a new problem that jus came up today ontop of the olds ones

ok let me start from the top

i stopped at wamu after work to get some gas money:shiny: and when i hoped back in the car an started it everything was fine until i pulled out of wamu on to the street the car started to pout like it was out of gas(but i had a half a tank) then the whole car started to shaking so i pulled over and rpm where only staying in 500-1000 then it stopped for a minute so i tried to make my way home hoping it would let me

as i took off the car shifted in to 2nd gear i felt it and then tried to go in to third but it just kind of stalled out a lil and the rpm's would back to 1000-500rpm(i really mean 500 not 5000)

then the wiredest thing happened the engine cut off along with the power steering and my battery light came on but just abt everything else in the car was working so i put my emergince lights on then tried to get as far i could i got to the sidewalk then i cut my car off an turned everything in the car off so i waited for abt 10-15 minutes an cut the car back on it turned on fine and everything was going fine until i made it to a stop light which took forever to change and right before it changed the started it all over again first with pouting then cutting the engine with lights still on

so i pulled over again this time at a store parking lot then i cut the car off an called my dad for help cause i didnt think i was going to get the car back home

(i know this is long)

my dad was in another city so it took him abt 30mins to get to me i turned the car back on and again it started with no problems so we let it run for abt 15mins then i remembered he had the code reader so i hook it up to my car an it pulled up all this

P0455(evap large leak)
P0457(evap small leak)(i think)
MIL
MONITRS
0 INC
MISFIRE
FUEL
COMP
CATLYST
EVAP
02 SNSR
02 HTR
EGR

this is exatly how the code reader put everything

oh yes to finish the story we decied to c if it would make it home from there so i put it in reverse backed out and as i was turning my power steering was really easy to turn and didnt make any squeeks like it usually would

then put it in to drive and drove all the way home fine with no porblems (eventho i ran most of the lights:hihi

oh yes and i forgot to mention that at abt 4000rpm's in nutarl or park my engine will misfire and never get passed that. what mite u think it is????

(told u it was long):nogrinner
sry it wouldnt let me edit it

the code goes as followed
p0455 - LARGE LEAK(evap)
p0457 - FUEL cap loose or off (evap)
MIL - (idk)
MONITRS - (idk)
0 INC - (idk)
8 READY -(idk)
MISFIRE - (idk)
FUEL - (idk)
COMP - (idk)
CATLYST (catalytic converter)
EVAP - (evap)
02 SNSR - (oxygen sensor)
02 HTR - (idk but i think oxygen sensor to)
EGR - (egr valve)

this is how it all read out to me

plz correct me if im wrong

Soon to be completely brought back to life

Then comes mods to make "The V6 From Hell"

Catch me if you can when im dipping from the cops:hihi:
knightzreturnz is offline  
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
 
shinerstang's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Greensburg
Posts: 8,365
 
Your car will not rev past 4k in neutral. That is a safety feature. You power steering was not working because the car was not running.

Have you checked your gas cap? You will throw codes if it is not on correctly. Mostly all the other codes are there because of the evap codes. Change your fuel filter is a good start. If you stopped to get gas money, I'm assuming your were running on empty and sucking all the junk in the bottom of your tank into the fuel system......

2002 V6 Turbo 10:25@134.52
2001 V6 Nitrous 12:94@104.88
shinerstang is offline  
Apprentice
 
green4money00's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: woodbridge
Posts: 140
 
on the code reader, everything other than the codes is all the obd2 readiness monitors. i use a code reader like that at work to check the readiness monitors on vehicles before they go for emission inspection.

i agree with shiner on starting with the fuel filter. thats what it sounds like to me. did you ever fix that duct taped evap line? thats probably what those codes are from
green4money00 is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
 
knightzreturnz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Seaside
Posts: 86
 
Send a message via AIM to knightzreturnz Send a message via MSN to knightzreturnz Send a message via Yahoo to knightzreturnz Send a message via Skype™ to knightzreturnz
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerstang View Post
Your car will not rev past 4k in neutral. That is a safety feature. You power steering was not working because the car was not running.

Have you checked your gas cap? You will throw codes if it is not on correctly. Mostly all the other codes are there because of the evap codes. Change your fuel filter is a good start. If you stopped to get gas money, I'm assuming your were running on empty and sucking all the junk in the bottom of your tank into the fuel system......
naw it said i was at half a tank(unless my gas meter is off)

ya i put the cap back on right i made sure after i had filled up the last time

Soon to be completely brought back to life

Then comes mods to make "The V6 From Hell"

Catch me if you can when im dipping from the cops:hihi:
knightzreturnz is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
 
knightzreturnz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Seaside
Posts: 86
 
Send a message via AIM to knightzreturnz Send a message via MSN to knightzreturnz Send a message via Yahoo to knightzreturnz Send a message via Skype™ to knightzreturnz
Quote:
Originally Posted by green4money00 View Post
on the code reader, everything other than the codes is all the obd2 readiness monitors. i use a code reader like that at work to check the readiness monitors on vehicles before they go for emission inspection.

i agree with shiner on starting with the fuel filter. thats what it sounds like to me. did you ever fix that duct taped evap line? thats probably what those codes are from
no i never fixed it because i nor my dad had the money at the time i was hoping it would last till my first check but as u can c no luck

that will be my first thing i will worry abt then i will change out the filter and maybe the hoses leading to the tank from the purge valve

thanx fo the help from all

when i change it all ill be back to let ya know how it goes after it all

Soon to be completely brought back to life

Then comes mods to make "The V6 From Hell"

Catch me if you can when im dipping from the cops:hihi:
knightzreturnz is offline  
Rookie
 
kjandir's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: san jose
Posts: 2
 
Wipers dont work

So ever since I bought my 2001 V6 Mustang the wipers and washers haven't worked. The guy I bought it off of said the motor was bad. So today i took out the motor and tested it, and it worked fine. So I'm assuming its not getting power. I read on some forum before that the radio/cd player is connected to the wipers ground or something like that. And the car did come with an aftermarket audio console. So what could be the problem? What should I do? I have also tested the fuses, and put in a new relay. The high beams and signals work, so idk if its the multifunction switch that's the problem. The radio works too.
kjandir is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Random Question

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183