Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > V6 Mustang > V6 Talk

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

1979-2004 V6 Mustangs General Discussions

V6 Forums | V6 Talk | V6 Tech | 2005+ V6 Tech | V6 Pictures | Introductions | General Tech | Lounge 


Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 06-15-2009   #1 (permalink)
Steedin07 is offline Apprentice

V6 Member


Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 183 Threads: 11
 Steedin07's Country Flag  View Steedin07's 7 photos
Southwest   Michigan
Steedin07 is on a distinguished road
Default Will this engine fit?

For those who have seen most of my post you know that I bought my stang to work on when I retire. With that said will this engine fit into my V6 frame? I am uncertain if the dimensions differ within the engine compartments from the V6 to V8 frames.

Ford Racing Performance Parts [M-6007-521FT*]

I realize I will also be changing out the transmission and other components.
__________________
2007 Redfire 4.0L 5 Speed: Stage 2 Power Package.
Steedin07 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Unread 06-15-2009   #2 (permalink)
cmaurer1 is offline Made Member


Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,541 Threads: 9
 cmaurer1's Country Flag
Terre Haute   Indiana
cmaurer1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Not without extensive modification it won't... lol No, engine bay dimensions generally do not differ from engine to engine on the same model. But you are not dealing with a 4.6L swap, you are dealing with a bored out 460...

Is it going to be a drag only car? Did you look at the weight 700+ lbs!!! lol Definitely will make the power easily. Are you keeping it N/A or going with a F/I route after you get it installed. You could make 1000hp easily with that engine...
cmaurer1 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009   #3 (permalink)
cmaurer1 is offline Made Member


Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,541 Threads: 9
 cmaurer1's Country Flag
Terre Haute   Indiana
cmaurer1 is on a distinguished road
Default

I have seen the 460 swap a few times on different sites on the SN95 chassis so it is definitely possible but it will be a complete custom swap that is for sure. It will be more than just swapping the engine/tranny/wiring in. I realize you own a S197 but it would still be possible, they can fit a DOHC 5.4L V8 into the car so that engine would work. lol

I am all for doing custom and exciting work but for the money I would say that you could make amazing power and still have a unique pony with the V6 in it for the kind of money you will be spending on that. Good Luck!
cmaurer1 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009   #4 (permalink)
StalkerStang is offline Senior Member

V6 Member
5.0L Member


Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,192 Threads: 35
 StalkerStang's Country Flag  View StalkerStang's 13 photos  View StalkerStang's HomePage
Surprise   Arizona
StalkerStang is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to StalkerStang
Default

The modular motors are a few inches wider then the 429/460 engines.

It should fit, but I don't think anyone makes 460 swap motor mounts for S197's. Some custom things will have to be made.
__________________
Jesse Berger
90 LX, Previous 4 cyl.
408W In the Works
TW FAC's, Jay Allen cam, Super Victor

2001 V6 5 Speed Daily Driver
Windstar Intake, Dual Exhuast, CAI, Headers
Best ET: 15.44@91 mph (on 18's)
StalkerStang is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009   #5 (permalink)
jakks is offline Made Member


Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 269 Threads: 37
 jakks's Country Flag
574   Indiana
jakks is on a distinguished road
Default

damn that is a beast of a motor. 8.6 liter? wow. and on a side note of what the guy said about 1000hp. sir that is an understatement lol everything in that engine is forged and ready for 30psi of boost, which in deffinently would in theory triple your hp. i would hope this is a drag car cuz this car will be illegal in no time. i'm honestly not sure if you can put that motor on the frame, mustang does put the motor right on the frame unlike other cars with f platforms but i think you would have to reinforce the frame.

your going from a 400lb v6 to a 750lb super v8. think of it this way. yer 4.0 v6 is 242CID, that means roughly each cylinder is 40.3CID since this is a v8 your putting in you add two cylinders to this equation, 521CID has each cylinder around 65.2CID, so in short yes the motor will fit width wise, and since the mustang is suppose to house a v8 it should fit length wise as well.

i'm not sure why you want so much hp tho. if you do this and put on that boost like the motor is intended to have you'll have the fastest mustang ever built i promise lol this car would be legendary but you might wanna get an open diff as well cuz one wheel burnouts with that power just isnt gonna fly.

if i were you, i'd sell that v6 and buy a v8 cuz there suspension, layout, ect. is so much better plus you already have lsd's not to mention all the wiring would already be there. you'd basically swap out the motor and tranny like you said with no other bull crap that you'll have to do swapping a v6.

you can ask anyone on here, i was gonna swap a v8 into mine and they gave me loads of commentary on stuff i'd need to do. lol

but this is my two cents so good luck man. if you keep the v6 i hope spending that much is worth it.
jakks is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009   #6 (permalink)
RLG34750
Guest


Posts: n/a Threads:
Default

Anything can be made to fit with a plasma cutter , tig welder & a vision.....

that swap will take some major fabrication but it can be done.....

as far as a plug & play swap not a shot in hell.....
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2009   #7 (permalink)
Steedin07 is offline Apprentice

V6 Member


Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 183 Threads: 11
 Steedin07's Country Flag  View Steedin07's 7 photos
Southwest   Michigan
Steedin07 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaurer1 View Post
Not without extensive modification it won't... lol No, engine bay dimensions generally do not differ from engine to engine on the same model. But you are not dealing with a 4.6L swap, you are dealing with a bored out 460...

Is it going to be a drag only car? Did you look at the weight 700+ lbs!!! lol Definitely will make the power easily. Are you keeping it N/A or going with a F/I route after you get it installed. You could make 1000hp easily with that engine...
Nope.... I haven't looked at any of your questions... that's why I posted. Not really sure what I am going to drop into it just know I am going to do it.....
__________________
2007 Redfire 4.0L 5 Speed: Stage 2 Power Package.
Steedin07 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2009   #8 (permalink)
Steedin07 is offline Apprentice

V6 Member


Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 183 Threads: 11
 Steedin07's Country Flag  View Steedin07's 7 photos
Southwest   Michigan
Steedin07 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakksincorpse View Post
damn that is a beast of a motor. 8.6 liter? wow. and on a side note of what the guy said about 1000hp. sir that is an understatement lol everything in that engine is forged and ready for 30psi of boost, which in deffinently would in theory triple your hp. i would hope this is a drag car cuz this car will be illegal in no time. i'm honestly not sure if you can put that motor on the frame, mustang does put the motor right on the frame unlike other cars with f platforms but i think you would have to reinforce the frame.

your going from a 400lb v6 to a 750lb super v8. think of it this way. yer 4.0 v6 is 242CID, that means roughly each cylinder is 40.3CID since this is a v8 your putting in you add two cylinders to this equation, 521CID has each cylinder around 65.2CID, so in short yes the motor will fit width wise, and since the mustang is suppose to house a v8 it should fit length wise as well.

i'm not sure why you want so much hp tho. if you do this and put on that boost like the motor is intended to have you'll have the fastest mustang ever built i promise lol this car would be legendary but you might wanna get an open diff as well cuz one wheel burnouts with that power just isnt gonna fly.

if i were you, i'd sell that v6 and buy a v8 cuz there suspension, layout, ect. is so much better plus you already have lsd's not to mention all the wiring would already be there. you'd basically swap out the motor and tranny like you said with no other bull crap that you'll have to do swapping a v6.

you can ask anyone on here, i was gonna swap a v8 into mine and they gave me loads of commentary on stuff i'd need to do. lol

but this is my two cents so good luck man. if you keep the v6 i hope spending that much is worth it.
You make some very good points... it might be a beast. I am not sold on the engine I posted it's just one of many on the website....
It might be easier to buy a V8 but I gotta have something to work on in retirement... in my spare time
__________________
2007 Redfire 4.0L 5 Speed: Stage 2 Power Package.
Steedin07 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2009   #9 (permalink)
Steedin07 is offline Apprentice

V6 Member


Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 183 Threads: 11
 Steedin07's Country Flag  View Steedin07's 7 photos
Southwest   Michigan
Steedin07 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLG34750 View Post
Anything can be made to fit with a plasma cutter , tig welder & a vision.....

that swap will take some major fabrication but it can be done.....

as far as a plug & play swap not a shot in hell.....
Yeah I know it won't be plug and play but it's something to work on. No sure if I will even go with that size was just posting to get some input from the pros....
__________________
2007 Redfire 4.0L 5 Speed: Stage 2 Power Package.
Steedin07 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2009   #10 (permalink)
guitarist9008 is offline Made Member

V6 Member


Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,003 Threads: 72
 guitarist9008's Country Flag  View guitarist9008's 16 photos
Detroit   Michigan
guitarist9008 is on a distinguished road
Default

Anybody remember the guy who put the Viper engine into his Mustang? Or the S197 with the Aston Martin engine? Anything is possible with deep pockets and time.
__________________
2000 V6
A.M. CAI
Dual exhaust w/Flowmaster super 44's.
GoodYear F1 tires
17" five spoke GT rims
Painted calipers, Painted pony, flat black painted hood stripe, flat black painted spoiler.
guitarist9008 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2009   #11 (permalink)
Shine1Stang is offline GT Member

V6 Member


Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,459 Threads: 55
 Shine1Stang's Country Flag  View Shine1Stang's 7 photos
Paducah   Kentucky
Shine1Stang is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Shine1Stang
Default

you should get yourself a rolling foxie to put that in! You can find them pretty cheap these days
__________________
97 Mustang Forged 4.3l
600hp and 10 sec member
Turbolag- the brief moment you think your winning
First and only 3.8L V6 Mustang over 600RWHP
Fastest Single Port V6 Mustang w a Ported Stock Upper Intake
Shine1Stang is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2009   #12 (permalink)
jakks is offline Made Member


Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 269 Threads: 37
 jakks's Country Flag
574   Indiana
jakks is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarist9008 View Post
Anybody remember the guy who put the Viper engine into his Mustang? Or the S197 with the Aston Martin engine? Anything is possible with deep pockets and time.
a v12 mustang?? wow i'm sorry but that is bitchin lol
jakks is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2009   #13 (permalink)
jakks is offline Made Member


Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 269 Threads: 37
 jakks's Country Flag
574   Indiana
jakks is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedin07 View Post
You make some very good points... it might be a beast. I am not sold on the engine I posted it's just one of many on the website....
It might be easier to buy a V8 but I gotta have something to work on in retirement... in my spare time
dude if i were you i'd get my hands on a cobra. only 2001+ that way if it has low miles you can sell the motor where ever or on ebay cuz everyone buys stuff from there, get about 3000 out of it and then if you want that motor you showed us you'd only have 7000 to actually pay. i think the cobras already use that t5 6spd so yer deff set for the torque unless you plan to boost over one bar in that motor. then you have an 8.3l cobra that will make others look like garden snakes lol

dont worry about time man trust me there is so much i wanna do with my car but i never have enough time. you'll get that motor in there and then you'll wanna test its limits, make it faster and faster then someday we'll all be watchin a vid on youtube showing that beast rip the pavement lol.
jakks is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2009   #14 (permalink)
cmaurer1 is offline Made Member


Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,541 Threads: 9
 cmaurer1's Country Flag
Terre Haute   Indiana
cmaurer1 is on a distinguished road
Default

I know 1000hp is an understatement.... I was making a point though...

Their are quite a few 460 foxes out their. The weight distribution would make for a very very unwieldy car.

It would not be an easy swap. Lots and lots of custom work would have to go into the car. Mounting points would be different. You would need a completely different suspension to handle an extra 300-400 lbs of weight in the front. Basically a bullet proof drivetrain and rear end for sure. Definitely a drag car. It would not be the fastest Mustang in history... It would be straight line fast though.
cmaurer1 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2009   #15 (permalink)
Markstang is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

V6 Member


Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,158 Threads: 36
 Markstang's Country Flag  View Markstang's 5 photos
Dumont   New Jersey
Markstang is on a distinguished road
Default

lol heres your fastest stang :-P
Attached Thumbnails
Will this engine fit?-john_force.jpg  
__________________
2003 3.8L V6 4R70W
Windstar Upper Intake with cool-air intake, MAC LT headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, and flow 40s, SCT tuner, FRPP Alum. D/S, 3.73 gears, Auburn HP limited slip, and Team Z LCAs, Eibach sway bars.
Best 1/4 time: 15.036 @90.92mph, 2.148 60'
Markstang is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply   Post New Thread



Thread Tools



Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172