Ford Mustang Forum banner

My First Car. 2000-2004 Mustang V6?

15K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  xxstarspyxx 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I am new here so forgive me for that. Anyway, I'll jump right into this and let you all know that I'm looking at buying my first car. A 2000-2004 mustang. I just figured the best place to ask for my questions would be on a designated mustang forum that way I'll get the most straightforward answers.

To give you all some background I'll let you all know that I'm 17 years old, still in highschool, and am employed at a local ice cream shop. My dad has agreed to match what I make by the end of first semester; granted I keep A's and B's. With that I've set a goal to raise at least $2,500 thus giving me $5,000 when my dad matches that.

The reason I'm here is to ask some questions, so here they are;

1) I've looked on craigslist and have seen some pretty good deals for the Mustangs 6's. Some run at about $4,950 and have around 100,000+ miles. If I were to buy a car like this, is it a good idea? I plan on asking for service records and also a carfax report. I also plan on taking the car to the local Ford dealership and having an inspection done to make sure everything is as it should be.

2) Down the road, after I do the touch up work and the service the car needs, I plan on installing some exhaust to make the car sound more aggressive. Now, I know this is not typically done on a 6 but for the sake of insurance and the better price I will be getting off a 6 I'm not going to invest in a GT.

3) Private owner or dealership? I've noticed that Private Owners often offer the best deals, especially when tax does not have to be included. However, is it safer to buy from a dealership where I know I can go back and speak with someone should I find difficulties with the car?

4) Stick or Automatic? I've never drove a stick, but they look like a blast to drive. Both my parents had stickshifts in the day so there would be no problem with them teaching me how. But what is normally in better condition? The sticks or the automatics?

Thanks all in advance, I'm sure when I finally get my car you will all be seeing a lot more of me!

See less See more
#2 ·
I strongly suggest getting a v8 although I know it can be expensive. If you do go with a 6 then getting a 5 speed is a must IMO. 100k is not bad on a mustang as long as routine maintenance has been performed by the last owner(s). Make sure the clutch is in good shape as that is an expensive fix if you cant do the labor yourself. Tire ware is important when buying a used car(make sure the rear tires are too much worse than the fronts that will show how badly the person before you was beating it before they sold it!) As to common issues with that model year the other owners of it will have to chime in, but good luck and make sure you buy American!

#3 ·
He's 17, has 5k to spend, and your suggesting a GT? The insurance will double the car in 3 years..

#4 ·
My V6 compared to my 5.0L was actually worse on the V6 than the 5.0L. I think I was paying $2100 on my V6 and it went down to $1850 or in that neighborhood.

To be honest 100K on a 99-04 is quite a bit of miles. Even if it's a 99 that's almost 10K miles a year. Most of those cars are beat on for under 5K.

You can get a decent 5.0 either Fox or Sn95 for a round that price. It will have cheaper excise tax, the same insurance, and more possibility to make big power, easier, down the road.

As far as the transmission manual is the only way to go. Much more control over the car that way, plus you should definitely learn how to drive stick.

#13 ·
My V6 compared to my 5.0L was actually worse on the V6 than the 5.0L. I think I was paying $2100 on my V6 and it went down to $1850 or in that neighborhood.

To be honest 100K on a 99-04 is quite a bit of miles. Even if it's a 99 that's almost 10K miles a year. Most of those cars are beat on for under 5K.

You can get a decent 5.0 either Fox or Sn95 for a round that price. It will have cheaper excise tax, the same insurance, and more possibility to make big power, easier, down the road.

As far as the transmission manual is the only way to go. Much more control over the car that way, plus you should definitely learn how to drive stick.
bahahahaahahahahahahhaa 100 k too much for a 99? i have two 1999's
dodge ram 224k
grand caravan 319k
and theyre both still on the road with no issues no leaaks no nothing
and no they aren't i got an 02 mustang that i sold 5900 with 21k miles now that car was nearly new!
and the 01 stick that i had that had 179k was in perfect condition besides one little part on the hood where something had hit it

G
#5 ·
You can find a nice V6 for under $5k. I picked up my '01 w/109k for $4,200. If they are asking $5k for anything with over 100k, they are crazy.

Edit: Always, always get a Carfax or AutoCheck before buying a car.

#6 ·
Hey Robby,
First off, welcome. Second, I’ve never owned a 99-04 V6 but here’s what I do know to answer your questions:

1) I’ve got a couple of friends who currently own 6’s the 99-04 timeframe, one of them beats on his car pretty bad. From what I’ve seen, they look to be pretty reliable up past 100,000. That’s of course assuming that the proper maintenance has been done. In my opinion, for a first car, you could do a lot worse. Service records may be hard to come by but a Carfax isn’t. You’re on the right path with that. If you know someone who’s mechanically inclined, it might be a good idea to take them along to look at the car and ride with you on the test drive.
Craigslist is good but I also recommend Autotrader.com. Lots of good stuff there…

2) Exhaust is good.:bigthumbsup It won’t sound like a V-8 but you already know that. These forums are great tools for finding what brands/setup you should run.

3) I’ve been to every type of dealership. Here’s my opinion
- “Official” Ford, Chevy, etc dealerships probably won’t have what you’re looking for in that mileage/year. And if they do, they usually have a higher-than-average price attached to it. But they're always worth a shot.
- Privately-owned dealers – these can be very tricky. Some are quality establishments that pride themselves on providing a fair deal on a good car. Others are all about moving product. Always ask for that Carfax and get a real good look at the car. Never let them rush you into anything. And ask if they provide a warranty (most that I’ve seen would offer you at least a 30 day).
- Buy-Here-Pay-Here’s – Avoid if you can… Some are good, most aren’t.
On your type of car, I think a private owner is perfectly fine, maybe even better than a dealer. You can look the person in the eye and get a real history on what has been done to the car. And you can see how much they cared about the car. Keep in mind that a salesman’s profession is to get you to buy the car for as much money as possible. They can be very good liars. And if a dealer doesn’t provide a warranty, they won’t give a flying rat about what happens to you after to sign the loan. No-matter what they tell you.

4) Stick is the way to go:yup: – very good to learn at your age.

I don't mean to go off on a rant here...:laugh:

#7 ·
99-04 mustang V6's are pretty reliable, mine is at almost 101K and i regularly abuse it lol, like they said previous matinence is a big part of that reliability. Exhaust is a great mod to do, if you have emissions test besure that you are carful what exhaust you get. I personally perfer automatics because i do to much driving, but if its not a problem for you get a stick b/c they are alot more fun to drive and have better low end acceleration due to the extra gear before o/d.

#8 ·
Just a couple of tips for you.

1) I know people will say get the GT, but frankly at your age the temptation to use that power is way too much. From the sounds of your budget, a speeding/racing ticket isn't a great idea.

2) Manual/Automatic. The manual is undoubtedly more enjoyable, until you get stuck in rush hour traffic and your 1st -> 2nd -> 1st and repeat wears out your leg. So consider your driving conditions. Additionally, keep in mind that manuals are usually more effecient. In our v6 mpg thread some manual transmissions have claimed upwards of 35 mpg. I can only claim a best of 27 in my automatic.

3) Insurance. Depending on your area its going to vary greatly. But the worst your gonna look at is me, a city zip code in one of the "Most dangerous cities in America" (That always makes me laugh) At 18, I paid 140 a month. It drops pretty rapidly. With both the V6 and GT under my belt I only pay 180 a month. If I didn't have the GT it'd be 114 I believe.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the forum!

#9 ·
Thanks all for the awesome and inclusive feedback...it's certainly helped!

I plan on sticking to my 5k budget pretty firmly, that is, unless my dad tried on helping me out a little more.

As for the car, I have narrowed it down to a manual transmission. They have always looked fun to me so I plan on getting one.

I do not plan on getting a Fox body though Silverstang, I just don't prefer the style. No offense to you, but thank you for your input!

Vortec, thank you for telling me about autotrader! I completely forgot about that site and that opens me up to a whole new market! Thanks also for your feedback, it's very helpful!

The V8 simply won't happen, my dad is enough of control freak over which brand of car I get- he wouldn't support adding more power to the car.

Exhaust is a must for me, I am just going to have to put that off until the summer though when I have more money and have taken care of the small things that are bound to be wrong with the car. I'm rather anal-retentive so small things like lights being dim- almost burned out will have to be fixed. Carpets getting worn, tears in the seats, dirty headlights, etc. So those will come first. Essentially, I want the car to look good first before I go and mod it. I'm not a ricer kind of guy :shigrin

Also carfax is an absolute must. A car with a wrecked or salvaged title is not going to be bought by me. I don't know nearly enough about cars to have to deal with the problems that will come along with a car that was previously wrecked.

#10 ·
Seems like you have your checklist together. Good luck with the money situation, and finding a great stang! :bigthumbsup

#11 ·
I got my 2000 v6 for $3100. My car has high miles, but is in great condition otherwise. Just look on craigslist and you can find some great deals.

I pay about $700 every 6 months on insurance, and with a GT it would have been about $800, so not that much of an increase. It depends on the discounts you can get, and how well you insure it.

Get a manual transmission, you won't regret it. Mine is a stick, and I bought it without ever having driven a stick. It's more engaging and fun to drive, except in stop and go traffic. Plus, from what I remember when looking for my Stang, they tend to be a little cheaper than automatics :bigthumbsup

#12 ·
Hey all,

3) Private owner or dealership? I've noticed that Private Owners often offer the best deals, especially when tax does not have to be included. However, is it safer to buy from a dealership where I know I can go back and speak with someone should I find difficulties with the car?

4) Stick or Automatic? I've never drove a stick, but they look like a blast to drive. Both my parents had stickshifts in the day so there would be no problem with them teaching me how. But what is normally in better condition? The sticks or the automatics?

Thanks all in advance, I'm sure when I finally get my car you will all be seeing a lot more of me!
in regards to 3 from a lot is okay ish but our prices are higher [its how we make a living]. There really isn't a difference between a us and private own. I really dislike people who buy a car and then down the road and anything breaks on it they come and yell in my face and it pisses me off, so just don't be like that. It's okay to ask question we are more than glad to even lend you a hand with prices and installing it but don't come in yelling and kicking. ITS A USED CAR

as for stick or automatic, i say stick. It more fun to drive, better mpg, feels so much better. I own an auto and i miss my 01 stick. I sold the 01 for 2900 but it had 179k on it

#15 ·
Ive gone through the same thing as you 3 times....:afraid

I don't know what most of you are talking about.. but a GT's insurance is ABSOLUTELY significantly higher than a v6's. And thats with a good insurance company, good grades, a safe driver course, etc. 5 months ago i bought a 2003 v6 manual from a private dealer in fort worth with 62,000 miles on it and it was 6,200 after TT&L. I guess it was okay. the price could have been lower. But I had to get a car quick and i was running out of options and that was the best i could find. My dad also cared when i first started driving if i had that much power. no parents wants their new driver to get hurt or get ticketed cause either you or them pay for it emotionally/financially.

If i can say anything since you have plenty of time to find a car, please try all private owners first. dealers rip you off major major major

1. Usually private owners have all the service records
  2. Every single used car dealership in America are all complete LIARS. I have never been to a trustworthy one in all my life.
  3. private owners can tell you the history and things that were and are wrong with it.

if you find a v6 with minor problems like a nasty carpet, old belt, etc...sure go for it. its a cheap fix if the car is in great condition. Or if you wanna fix it up like i wanted to....I bought my first v6....it misfired a lot when i test drove it from the dealer....changed sparks....fixed it....week later coil pack went out....replaced it...then never had another problem.

good luck! :bigthumbsup

#17 ·
it may not sound like much but if u an extra car meaning 3 at the time and purchase ur stang in a parents name( i know its gay) the insurance can be really low and u can be tied on to a different car such as a clunker whether or not it is ur car lowering insurance so u can get a V8. However as posted above start with the V6 cause im 16 and the temptations to floor it and abuse it are alreasdy too prevelent so with a V8 ur looking at a lot of problems. As for stick vs auto...id say stick is better for highway and control however auto is a lot less demanding to drive, as for exhaust..Do it asap it adds alot. as per the milage ive got 2 stangs rom this era in the houshold, an 04 vert with 60k in perfect shape and my 03 with just under 92k and both run liek the day they came of the assembly line! Good luck!

#18 ·
Im 20 and went with the 6 over the 8 because of insurance, its just not worth an extra $1000 a year to me. I got my 2000 coupe for $2000, it had 3 seized calipers and no e-brake which are fairly simple and easy fixes. If you are handy you can pick one up that needs a lil TLC for a bunch less. I would recommend a manual, makes winter much more manageable and fun. any mustang is better than no mustang

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.