Ford Mustang Forum banner

What MPG does your V6 mustang get?

67K views 72 replies 38 participants last post by  Gregomatic 
#1 ·
Whats the MPG for you different V6 mustangs. One guy with gas saving mods claimed to get 30 MPG heres what he said,

"I can usually get about 420+ miles to a full tank on road trips. 15 gallon tank equals 28+mpg."

Is this possible?

#37 ·
tune up-oil,fuel filter,check tire pressure.
less weight in car
cai
exhaust,windstar intake
tuner
seafoam
lowering springs
lighter rims
gears

#38 ·
lowering springs? lol that might get you 0.1 mpg from reduced drag... definitely not a gas mileage mod, and neither is seafoam really, it just cleans your engine.. yes it will improve mileage if your engine is all gunked up and stuff.. but it only returns it to normal, not add mileage

#39 ·
Seafoam is a legitimate recommendation, just like tire pressure and replacing filters.

I believe smaller tires would help with city mileage as well. Same idea as gears.

G
#40 ·
My '01 with these mods:
True dual exhaust w/custom catted FlowTech X-pipe and Cherry Bomb Extremes dumped at the axle, AM CAI, VAP Auto intake spacer, 180* T-stat, Bamachips 91 Race tune, 245/45ZR17 BFG T/A KDWs, T-Lok, 3.73 gears

That got me 18mpg in town and 29-30mpg highway.

#42 ·
20 straight up city, stop n go traffic every block. And 28-30 pure highway (depending if I stick from 60-70mph) No mods, 100% stock. 2001 V6 5 speed.

#43 ·
How are you guys calculating your MPG? I just don't see how stock 99-04 V6 can get 30 MPG on the highway.

I get dead on what fueleconomy.gov shows for my model, 18/25 with normal driving.

Make sure you're filling up twice and dividing the driving distance by the gallons used on the second fill up, not just estimating with the needle. I don't mean to ***** anyone out, I just like solid data ;)

#44 ·
My dad is commercial driver, independent contractor as you can say, that delivers paperwork to several places. I fill up in my town, set my trip meter to count how many miles I drive, then drive 360 miles, come back, and fill up again. Then I take the 360 and divide it by how much fuel I just put in this second time to fill it. Normally highway ends up anywhere from 26-30. It all depends whether or not I drive through towns, or straight highway, rush hour times, etc. Many variables. 30 mpg is the ABSOLUTE best case I have had, that's pure highway no city, at 60mph, no traffic no nothing, cruise controlled. No A/C, or windows down, just myself in the car, with no extra weight.

So I don't see how I could be doing the math wrong.

G
#45 ·
How I figure:
1) Fill it up
2) Reset tripmeter to zero
3) Drive 'X' miles (read from tripmeter)
4) Fill it up again with 'Y' gallons
5) Divide 'X' miles with 'Y' gallons
6) ???
7) Profit

Ignore the last two steps. :shigrin

#48 ·
Best of 35 out of my 01, norm for strictly highway at about 75 mph is 31-33. If I F-around or vary my speed often, my highway mpg drops to 28/29 ish and if I drive faster than 80 or 85, then it sucks it down and I get about 22.

I think lowering does have an affect on highway mpg. I have had 2 V6's with similar mods that both do 30+ mpg, my old 94 did the best of 31 with lowering spring, duals, cai, etc....

#49 ·
Yours has mods though, for 30+. What are they? I would like to add them to mine for that slight increase.

Mine is stock n getting up to 30. I would like more.

#50 ·
he says right in his signature, windstar intake, CAI, and dual exhaust

#51 ·
Haha, stupid me. I completely missed that...

My car has a true dual exhaust system that came with the car.

And as far as the CAI, wouldn't I need to tinker with my car's computer so it doesn't dump too much fuel in because of the massive amount of air flow?

#53 ·
the 3.8 can kinda learn on its own how much fuel it needs (within reason)

#56 ·
If you're driving conservatively and getting that kind of mileage, there's either something wrong with your car, or you're only driving around the block.

I've found that my range is from 24 - 31, but I also do quite a bit of highway driving.

#59 ·
I was getting 33 mpg on the freeway with my supercharger before my tune now I'm getting 20-23 on the freeway

#62 ·
windstar made absolutely no difference in my gas mileage. and i calculate it at every fillup.
other than the basic tune up stuff you're already doing, make sure your tires are properly inflated. and drive it like an old man with nowhere to be.

#67 ·
#66 ·
2000 3.8 5 speed, rookie at driving manual (been drivin it for bout a month) country driving and city with AC on, I get about 23-24 mpg. Not bad at all. Though feels like it could use new plugs maybe. Shakes a little at idle and can hear a occasional putt from the exhaust

#68 ·
unless you actually have nowhere to be lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.