Ford Mustang Forum banner

New cai and throttle body problems

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Stoods 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! I just recently installed a new 65 mm bbk throttle body and a SR Performance CAI. She idles great and revs nice in park but she dosent feel right when driving, 0 - 60km ( yes I'm Canadian lol) she drives somewhat normal. Shifts a little harder. ( it's an automatic btw) when I get into 2nd or 3rd gear and Hammer the gas she just dosent want to move. It accelerates very slowly. Is this a problem with the mass air flow sensor. Do I need to use a bama tuner to retune my car from the stock to my new improvements? And I'm also getting a check engine soon light as well. Any help will be really appreciated. I hope I've been clear enough. Thanks.

#2 ·
I'm not an expert but I would think so. You've introduced a much bigger air supply with your mods probably not allowing proper fuel to air ratio once you stomp on it. Just my two cents.

#4 ·
I'm sure it will engine ecm's are set to certain parameters. Once you start changing parts to introduce more fuel or air they have to be tuned to run properly with the changes.

#7 ·
First, what are the codes? Second, a tune is not required with those mods.

We really need to know the codes. I suspect a vacuum leak but that's only a guess.

One disconnect for 10-15 will suffice. Keeping it disconnected over night won't change anything.

#10 ·
It was probably just coincidence that it failed when the new mods were installed and the disconnected battery reset how the computer coped with the almost failing tp sensor. Either way, good job figuring out and have fun with your hotrod v6!

#11 ·
Hey Stood - Sounds like you know what's going on here! A little more air going in can throw the car off somewhat as it's not calibrated for the change in flow. Have you called the Bama team and let them know that your device will need to have these changes incorporated?

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help on my end or shoot the Bama team a call directly and they'll get you some help!

Alex

#12 ·
Thanks Alex and yes bama knows of my new mods. Still waiting for my tuner to come in. :) but a new problem popped up. Now when my engine gets hot from some highway driving my throttle starts to stick. Ive ruled out vacuum lock. I'm just now wondering if it's that plastic bushing for the tps switch. I believe it may be swelling/expanding because of the heat since it's plastic and putting tension on the flywheel shaft. Could this be a good guess? when I took my stock TB off it didn't have a bushing in where the tps sits, and the new bbk throttle body looks and acts the same. So it's a bit of a head scratcher. Have any ideas? Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.