Ford Mustang Forum banner

PATS Question

813 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  fsmithii 
#1 ·
So my son and I have been working on his 2000 mustang. We picked it up since it was cheap and his first car. Plus it was hard finding a V6 with a standard behind it in my area. The body and mechanical are both in great shape but the interior was the light grey and was in bad shape. We found a 2003 that a blown motor but the interior was very clean and was the dark charcoal. So doing in interior swap and putting the dark in his white 2000 was going to look good. We were successful in our transplant and it looks really good considering the age of both vehicles.

This is where I'll walk you through a few things to give you a better understanding of where I'm at.

The tumblers in his old ignition were broken and any key could turn the ignition over. Of course you had to have 1 of his 2 keys in the ignition (or general area) to start it because of the PATS system. We know we want the tumbler out of the 2003 but I'd have to program the 2003 key with the 2 2000 keys (as you have to use 2 keys to program a new one). So I left the old tumbler in so my old keys would work and being it will turn with any key it would also take the 2003. :) I've tried to get the new key to program but it keeps going into theft mode. I thought I'd try and swap the black box in the column (what I'll call the PATS unit). So I pulled the PATS unit out of the 2003 and plugged into the harness on the 2000 and swapped the tumblers and the car will not start. Hence me looking for some guidance. I know that the keys marry to the PATS unit. But does the PATS unit marry to the PCM? I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep the 2003 key/tumbler, but also keep the PATS system. I know I could just tuck the old key up in the column and leave it there and basically bypass the PATS but I'd prefer not to. Is there something I'm missing in what controls the PATS? I'm also trying to avoid putting in money for something that I know I can bypass.

See less See more
#2 ·
so my son and i have been working on his 2000 mustang. We picked it up since it was cheap and his first car. Plus it was hard finding a v6 with a standard behind it in my area. The body and mechanical are both in great shape but the interior was the light grey and was in bad shape. We found a 2003 that a blown motor but the interior was very clean and was the dark charcoal. So doing in interior swap and putting the dark in his white 2000 was going to look good. We were successful in our transplant and it looks really good considering the age of both vehicles.

This is where i'll walk you through a few things to give you a better understanding of where i'm at.

The tumblers in his old ignition were broken and any key could turn the ignition over. Of course you had to have 1 of his 2 keys in the ignition (or general area) to start it because of the pats system. We know we want the tumbler out of the 2003 but i'd have to program the 2003 key with the 2 2000 keys (as you have to use 2 keys to program a new one). So i left the old tumbler in so my old keys would work and being it will turn with any key it would also take the 2003. :) i've tried to get the new key to program but it keeps going into theft mode. I thought i'd try and swap the black box in the column (what i'll call the pats unit). So i pulled the pats unit out of the 2003 and plugged into the harness on the 2000 and swapped the tumblers and the car will not start. Hence me looking for some guidance. I know that the keys marry to the pats unit. But does the pats unit marry to the pcm? I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep the 2003 key/tumbler, but also keep the pats system. I know i could just tuck the old key up in the column and leave it there and basically bypass the pats but i'd prefer not to. Is there something i'm missing in what controls the pats? I'm also trying to avoid putting in money for something that i know i can bypass.
either take to ford dealer (1 &1/2 hr labor) or switch pcm and see if works

#3 ·
The problem is that the donor car is an automatic and the original is a standard. So I'd have to flash the PCM in that case as well.

Thanks for the suggestion.

It's such an old car that I think I'll just tape a key to the reader up in the dash somewhere. Then put the good tumbler and key in so at least not any key can turn it over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.