Smaller Torque Converter for 3.8/4.2 with 4R70W. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Smaller Torque Converter for 3.8/4.2 with 4R70W.

So I have a 2000 V6 Mustang and the engine is completely torn down. I'm gonna rebuild it as a naturally aspirated 4.2 stroker with a 224/230 cam from SSM, P&P heads, and P&P intakes. I'm told that I'll need a smaller torque converter for this to work properly. However, every 10" converter I can find for a 4R70W has a 10.625" bolt pattern. The 4.2 flexplate that I'll have to use for this swap does not share that same bolt pattern. I've tried to find a flexplate for a 4.2 with a 10.625" bolt pattern to no avail. All I can find is stock 4.2 flexplates. So I'm wondering how can I use a smaller converter with more stall for my new build if I can't find a smaller converter with the same bolt pattern as a 4.2 flexplate or find a 4.2 flexplate with a 10.625" bolt pattern to match all the torque converters that I can find for the 4R70W. I called TCI the other day and they said they don't make a torque converter for the 4.2. They just make one for the 4.6. However, on American Muscle, they have a 3000 stall converter from TCI for sale and they claim it works for both the GT and V6 models, but it also has a 10.625" bolt pattern. Can anyone tell me where I can get a smaller torque converter that I can bolt to a 4.2 flexplate or tell me where I can get a 4.2 flexplate with a 10.625" bolt pattern?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Just wondering. Is this V6 internally or externally balanced?

I don't understand why the flexplate that came with the 2000 V6 won't work. I'm assuming that the stroker crank has the same bolt pattern as the original crank. If so, then the original flexplate will work and will work with the industry standard torque converters.

If you know the model and years that include the flexplate in question, then try searching car-part.com to search salvage yards in your area. But don't forget to match the type of balance (internal or external) of the original motor or vibration will result.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.

Last edited by wmburns; 07-05-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page