right exhaust manifold cracked, replace or repair? 2001 Mustang V6 - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
andro45's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Gainesville
Posts: 38
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 963.8 View Post
Did you replace the gasket? Was it a new manifold? If not it might have been warrped.
Yeah i bought a new manifold from Dorman along with the gasket.

2001 V6 Coupe
Flowmaster 40s
CAI
more to come...

GO GATORS!!!
andro45 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Made Member
V6 Member
 
whitepony331's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 771
 
Send a message via AIM to whitepony331
Quote:
Originally Posted by andro45 View Post
Ok guys so i replaced the exhaust manifold, it wasn't easy but got it done. Now i am dealing with a completely new issue. I got a ticking sound coming from that same exhaust pipe and its vibrating excessively. Someone suggested that my catalytic converter might be clogged, any suggestions as to what it might be? the cats or something wrong with the install?
The ticking sound may be an exahsut leak. Did you bolt on those exhaust manifolds at the right torque spec?

New gaskets, right amount of torque (manifold to block & mid pipe)...Then you shouldn't be hearing any of those ticking noises.

2001 V6 WhitePony 4R70W:
-- BBK 1 5/8" Ceramic Shorty Headers
-- K&N FIPK Gen II 57 Series
-- 2.5" True Dual Exhaust:
- MAC 2.5" O/R H-Pipe
- MagnaFlow 2.5" Hi-Flow Cats
- FlowMaster Original 40s
Future Master Technician of BMW Motor Co.
whitepony331 is offline  
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
andro45's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Gainesville
Posts: 38
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepony331 View Post
The ticking sound may be an exahsut leak. Did you bolt on those exhaust manifolds at the right torque spec?

New gaskets, right amount of torque (manifold to block & mid pipe)...Then you shouldn't be hearing any of those ticking noises.
yeah i did, is there any chance it might be the catalytic converter?

2001 V6 Coupe
Flowmaster 40s
CAI
more to come...

GO GATORS!!!
andro45 is offline  
Made Member
V6 Member
 
whitepony331's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 771
 
Send a message via AIM to whitepony331
How long have you had this car?

Cats can last you for quite a while, but if you're hearing some ticking noises under the car where your cats are...then it looks like you need to replace them.

Is your Check Engine light on?

2001 V6 WhitePony 4R70W:
-- BBK 1 5/8" Ceramic Shorty Headers
-- K&N FIPK Gen II 57 Series
-- 2.5" True Dual Exhaust:
- MAC 2.5" O/R H-Pipe
- MagnaFlow 2.5" Hi-Flow Cats
- FlowMaster Original 40s
Future Master Technician of BMW Motor Co.
whitepony331 is offline  
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
andro45's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Gainesville
Posts: 38
 
I got about 72,000 miles on the car, thats why i was a bit skeptic that it might be the catalytic converter since they usually last longer. I dont have the check engine light on, should it be on if the cats are shot?

2001 V6 Coupe
Flowmaster 40s
CAI
more to come...

GO GATORS!!!
andro45 is offline  
Made Member
V6 Member
 
whitepony331's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 771
 
Send a message via AIM to whitepony331
Most definitely your CEL (Check Engine Light) will be on if your cats are shot.

Your O2 sensors will start to read unwanted air goin' through.

I've done some reading about 99-04 exhaust manifolds on our Ponies, and TSBs stated that the passenger side exhaust manifolds will crack due to the condensation.

2001 V6 WhitePony 4R70W:
-- BBK 1 5/8" Ceramic Shorty Headers
-- K&N FIPK Gen II 57 Series
-- 2.5" True Dual Exhaust:
- MAC 2.5" O/R H-Pipe
- MagnaFlow 2.5" Hi-Flow Cats
- FlowMaster Original 40s
Future Master Technician of BMW Motor Co.
whitepony331 is offline  
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
andro45's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Gainesville
Posts: 38
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepony331 View Post
Most definitely your CEL (Check Engine Light) will be on if your cats are shot.

Your O2 sensors will start to read unwanted air goin' through.

I've done some reading about 99-04 exhaust manifolds on our Ponies, and TSBs stated that the passenger side exhaust manifolds will crack due to the condensation.
Well as i was driving my car to work the CEL went off so that plus the ticking sound im guessing its the catalytic converter. should i replace all 4? what can u tell me about high flow catalytic converters?

2001 V6 Coupe
Flowmaster 40s
CAI
more to come...

GO GATORS!!!
andro45 is offline  
Rookie
 
coreyc_20's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Sullivan
Posts: 3
 
you should probably check your cats, because mine cracked because they were stopped up, you would think that they'd last longer but they dont, i live next to a ford mechanic, and e told me that the stock back cats are horrible for stopping up, cut them of and put straight pipe in, but make sure you leave the 02 sensors in, mine ran alot better after i did that.
coreyc_20 is offline  
Made Member
V6 Member
 
whitepony331's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 771
 
Send a message via AIM to whitepony331
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyc_20 View Post
you should probably check your cats, because mine cracked because they were stopped up, you would think that they'd last longer but they dont, i live next to a ford mechanic, and e told me that the stock back cats are horrible for stopping up, cut them of and put straight pipe in, but make sure you leave the 02 sensors in, mine ran alot better after i did that.
Yeah, you'll have the flow. But you're also polluting the air!

And!!! Too much flow = loss of rear-end torque.

2001 V6 WhitePony 4R70W:
-- BBK 1 5/8" Ceramic Shorty Headers
-- K&N FIPK Gen II 57 Series
-- 2.5" True Dual Exhaust:
- MAC 2.5" O/R H-Pipe
- MagnaFlow 2.5" Hi-Flow Cats
- FlowMaster Original 40s
Future Master Technician of BMW Motor Co.
whitepony331 is offline  
Made Member
V6 Member
 
whitepony331's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 771
 
Send a message via AIM to whitepony331
Quote:
Originally Posted by andro45 View Post
Well as i was driving my car to work the CEL went off so that plus the ticking sound im guessing its the catalytic converter. should i replace all 4? what can u tell me about high flow catalytic converters?
Hi-Flow Cats?

My first dual exhaust set up:

O/R H-Pipe w/ two hi-flow cats and FlowMaster 40s.

This setup was okay, I liked the fact that it was LOUD, it felt like I didn't have any cats at all. But...I was losing some of my back pressure. Plus the ride quality feels like you're gliding through air.

My current set up:

Stock cats/hi-flow cats/h-pipe/flowmaster 40s.

Not as loud as my first setup, but I got my damn back pressure!!! Still sounds good in my opinion. But I'm going to upgrade my exhaust system again.

2001 V6 WhitePony 4R70W:
-- BBK 1 5/8" Ceramic Shorty Headers
-- K&N FIPK Gen II 57 Series
-- 2.5" True Dual Exhaust:
- MAC 2.5" O/R H-Pipe
- MagnaFlow 2.5" Hi-Flow Cats
- FlowMaster Original 40s
Future Master Technician of BMW Motor Co.
whitepony331 is offline  
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
andro45's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Gainesville
Posts: 38
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepony331 View Post
Hi-Flow Cats?

My first dual exhaust set up:

O/R H-Pipe w/ two hi-flow cats and FlowMaster 40s.

This setup was okay, I liked the fact that it was LOUD, it felt like I didn't have any cats at all. But...I was losing some of my back pressure. Plus the ride quality feels like you're gliding through air.

My current set up:

Stock cats/hi-flow cats/h-pipe/flowmaster 40s.

Not as loud as my first setup, but I got my damn back pressure!!! Still sounds good in my opinion. But I'm going to upgrade my exhaust system again.

So that ticking sound is it that the filter inside the cat dissolved or reduced somehow and its now just bouncing around in there? Im thinking about going w/ the 2 hi-flow cats, the loss of some back pressure did not decrease your performance significantly right?
Im sorry i ask so many questions but i need this car to get me through college and i want to do everything right.

2001 V6 Coupe
Flowmaster 40s
CAI
more to come...

GO GATORS!!!
andro45 is offline  
Made Member
V6 Member
 
whitepony331's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 771
 
Send a message via AIM to whitepony331
No it did not decrease the power.

Just make sure you know of a well-known muffler shop that can create a badd-ass yet powerful exhaust system with those cats.

I'd say...

Cut the last two cats off. Weld on the two hi-flow cats...then run your duals from there.

You can't miss!

2001 V6 WhitePony 4R70W:
-- BBK 1 5/8" Ceramic Shorty Headers
-- K&N FIPK Gen II 57 Series
-- 2.5" True Dual Exhaust:
- MAC 2.5" O/R H-Pipe
- MagnaFlow 2.5" Hi-Flow Cats
- FlowMaster Original 40s
Future Master Technician of BMW Motor Co.
whitepony331 is offline  
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
andro45's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Gainesville
Posts: 38
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepony331 View Post
No it did not decrease the power.

Just make sure you know of a well-known muffler shop that can create a badd-ass yet powerful exhaust system with those cats.

I'd say...

Cut the last two cats off. Weld on the two hi-flow cats...then run your duals from there.

You can't miss!
Thank you for all your help man, I really appreciate it.

2001 V6 Coupe
Flowmaster 40s
CAI
more to come...

GO GATORS!!!
andro45 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182