Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > V6 Mustang > V6 Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

1979-2004 V6 Mustang Tech Discussions

V6 Forums | V6 Talk | V6 Tech | 2005+ V6 Tech | V6 Pictures | Introductions | General Tech | Lounge 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 02-28-2003   #1 (permalink)
AnDroy22 is offline Rookie

California
AnDroy22 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to AnDroy22
Unhappy Cooling Fan/Constant Control Relay Module (CCRM)

Has anyone had trouble with their cooling fan starting? Mine has not been coming on and I am beginning to have trouble starting my car. I'm fairly sur my fuel pump is good so I think the problem is with my CCRM. Anyone had any trouble with their CCRM that they wanna share?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2003   #2 (permalink)
GTRaptor is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

4.6L Member

GTRaptor's Country Flag  View GTRaptor's 614 photos  View GTRaptor's HomePage
Mexico City
GTRaptor is on a distinguished road

Mine died on my 95GT, you have to replace it or open it and resolder the correct type or relay into the CCRM.

I did both, first opened the CCRM to check for a bad relay, was bad so i bought a similar relay at a electronics shop.
Later i got a new replacement, the fixed CCRM is under my seat for emergencies
Unread 03-03-2003   #3 (permalink)

California

Hey Rob...What were some of the symptoms you were having that let you know the relay was going bad? Also...was it difficult to get the proper relay? I am thinking about getting a salveaged one from this one site that I get all my parts from...but if I can do it myself, I would like to try. The one you keep under your seat...did it respond properly to the EEC? Thanks.

AnDroy
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 03-03-2003   #4 (permalink)
GTRaptor is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

4.6L Member

GTRaptor's Country Flag  View GTRaptor's 614 photos  View GTRaptor's HomePage
Mexico City
GTRaptor is on a distinguished road

The cooling fan went out, but tested it and was ok, so next suspect was CCRM.
Opened it and surely the relay was burnt.
A friend of mine that deals with electronic components got me a replacement that cost around $5.
Just had to solder the replacement, probably 20 minutes of work

And yes, performs exactly the same as the original.
Unread 03-03-2003   #5 (permalink)

California

Yeah...I just got a new cooling fan and motor. I don't know what else it would be if it isn't the CCRM. Also, there is a fuel pump relay in the CCRM...Did you notice any problems in that area? I have my relay out...was the relay visually burnt or did you have to test it with the light screw driver? (brain-fart...can't remember the correct name of the damn "light screwdriver")
Unread 08-01-2007   #6 (permalink)
Tina1015 is offline Rookie

Tina1015's Country Flag
Belleview   Florida
Tina1015 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, I have also just found out the CCRM in my 95GT is out, is this something my husband can replace with out a lot of complications?
Unread 08-02-2007   #7 (permalink)
stang9666 is offline Rookie

stang9666's Country Flag
Des Moines   Iowa
stang9666 is on a distinguished road
Default mustang cooling fan ccrm

Yes this is easy its in the inside fender well on the passenger side, remove the air intake tube and reach in the two holes and there are two 11mm bolts holding it in place, and then one 5 or 6 mm bolt hold the wiring harness to it and then you just pull it out. I replaced mine and it broke the next day, due to the fan having a short in it, so I would be sure that is the problem, but I got mine at the junk yard for 50 bucks and they took it back.
Unread 08-02-2007   #8 (permalink)
stang9666 is offline Rookie

stang9666's Country Flag
Des Moines   Iowa
stang9666 is on a distinguished road

Hey do you know which relay it was there is three of them in there. I'm looking at it from the veiw of the wire plug facing me which one would it be.
Unread 11-09-2007   #9 (permalink)
JesusOnIceSkate is offline Rookie

JesusOnIceSkate's Country Flag
Los Angeles   California
JesusOnIceSkate is on a distinguished road

:yourock: Hey guys thanks for posting info on this topic, especially Rob...I'm having exact some problem and will be working on the car tonight....no fan when AC is on, and fan doesn't kick in until car very hot...
Question:
Which is the relay in the CCRM that's causing all the funk in stang9666's case, and where is the CCRM/what does it look like?
Where is the 'FAN CONTROL'?
BTW: Here are steps for isolating problem when fan doesn't turn on when AC turned on (95 GT):
Possible Source(s):
Constant Control Relay Module damaged.
Fan Control (FC) circuitry damaged.
Cooling fan motor (8C607) damaged.

G1: CHECK VOLTAGE SUPPLY TO CONTROL FAN
l Start engine and run until normal operating temperature is achieved.
l Turn engine OFF, leave ignition switch in RUN position.
l Actuate A/C damper door switch to MAX A/C position.
l Access the constant control relay module (CCRM).
l Using a test lamp, back-probe Pin 1 Circuit 229 (R/O) and Pin 2 Circuit 229 (R/O) for voltage.
Did test lamp illuminate?
Yes
GO to G2.
No
GO to G3.

G2: CHECK FAN GROUND CIRCUIT
l Using an ohmmeter connected to a known good ground, connect second lead Circuit 57 (BK) at fan control connector.
l Is resistance five ohms or less?
Yes
GO to G5.
No
SERVICE fan control ground circuit for open circuit. RESTORE vehicle. RETEST system.

G3: BACK-PROBE FOR VOLTAGE SUPPLY TO CONSTANT CONTROL RELAY MODULE (CCRM)
l Using a test lamp, back-probe Pin 3 Circuit 38 (BK/O) for voltage.
l Did test lamp illuminate?
Yes
GO to G5.
No
GO to G4.

G4: CHECK FUSE (60A)
l Using test lamp, check both sides of fuse (60A).
l Is fuse OK?
Yes
SERVICE Circuit 38 (BK/O) for open circuit. RESTORE vehicle. RETEST system.
No
SERVICE Circuit 38 (BK/O) for short circuit. RESTORE vehicle. RETEST system.

G5: CHECK FAN CONTROL
l Disconnect fan control.
l Using a No. 10 gauge jumper wire, connect one end to B+. Connect other end to low speed fan control terminal at fan control.
l Using a second jumper wire, connect one end to a good ground, connect the other end to the ground terminal on the blower motor.
l Did fan control run?
Yes
SERVICE Circuit 229 (R/O) for open circuit. RESTORE vehicle. RETEST system.
No
REPLACE fan control. RESTORE vehicle. RETEST system.
Unread 04-30-2009   #10 (permalink)
orrwhat1 is offline Rookie

orrwhat1's Country Flag
Jax   Florida
orrwhat1 is on a distinguished road
Default similar problem

I have a 95 3.8 ltr that when i went out this am would not start. put a jumper on it, as soon as it got power i could here clicking coming from Constant Control Relay Module. after i took the charger off it continued to click till the battery was dead.
Unread 06-25-2009   #11 (permalink)
pretty_princess is offline Rookie

pretty_princess's Country Flag
Crown Town   Indiana
pretty_princess is on a distinguished road
Angry Constant Control Module

I've just recently had the exact same problem. My 01 Mustang began overheating last weekend. We put coolant in it and had a friend of mine reset the Service Engine light. In the process when I turned my AC on we heard this loud banging noise under the hood. So upon taking it apart we found that the radiator fan assembly was cracked. Aparently in the short amount of time from the crack and me hearing the noise and tearing it apart, it blew my constant control module relay. So I've had to replace the CCRM now and I am in the process of looking for a replacement fan asembly. My mechanic explained to me that the fan being off center, it was sending signals to the module in the wrong interval, therefore the module was blown. However when I was stranded 65 miles from my house, I went to a garage I was unfamiliar with and they said that I could have gotten back home with the fan cracked and it would not do anymore damage. Upon reading these other forums and talking to my mechanic that I trust, I found out that was not the case and had I drove all the way home instead of towing, I would have done more damage to the car. At the same time, I'm angry with the BF, b/c he had the fan out and could have replaced it when this first began, but he decided to "GLUE" the broken pieces of plastic. So as I read these posts and they talk about how the fan assembly is balanced by the manufacturer, this was not his best idea. Especially since now he's telling me to find just the fan blade to replace and not the entire assembly. I'm correcting in wanting the entire assembly replaced, right?
Unread 06-25-2009   #12 (permalink)
shinerstang is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

V6 Member

shinerstang's Country Flag  View shinerstang's 17 photos  View shinerstang's HomePage
Greensburg   Kentucky
shinerstang is on a distinguished road

It is best to replace the assembly, but you can use just about any fan as long as it is close to the same size. You might have to cut/splice the wires, but it works. It has been done a million times by racers.....

Fans could get spicey from dealers, but not sure about AP stores. I never bought one, and if I needed one, we have a few cars around to swap it out with......
2002 V6 Turbo 10:25@134.52
2001 V6 Nitrous 12:94@104.88
Unread 06-26-2009   #13 (permalink)
dogsstang66 is offline Rookie

dogsstang66's Country Flag
Texas City   Texas
dogsstang66 is on a distinguished road
Default where 2 find 98 v6 ccrm

my 98 mustang is a v6 and my air condition stoped working well it only comes out the vent closes to the window we traced it back to the ccrm but i cant find where to buy a cheap one also my car kept getting over heated when i first bought it in 05 so i replaced the thermostat now my radiator is cracked just havent replaced it you think the radiator could have possible been caused by my ccrm?
Unread 06-26-2009   #14 (permalink)
Markstang is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

V6 Member

Markstang's Country Flag  View Markstang's 5 photos
Dumont   New Jersey
Markstang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsstang66 View Post
my 98 mustang is a v6 and my air condition stoped working well it only comes out the vent closes to the window we traced it back to the ccrm but i cant find where to buy a cheap one also my car kept getting over heated when i first bought it in 05 so i replaced the thermostat now my radiator is cracked just havent replaced it you think the radiator could have possible been caused by my ccrm?
when ur air conditioning gets stuck on defroster vents only usually its a vacuum line leak
Unread 04-05-2010   #15 (permalink)
bookkeeper75 is offline Rookie

bookkeeper75's Country Flag
Chester   South Carolina
bookkeeper75 is on a distinguished road

where did you get the new one from?i need one alsofor my daughters mustang and cant find one even at the dearlership.thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162