How to remove 1999 Mustang power steering pulley? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By heavy metal
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008 Thread Starter
V6 Member
Question How to remove 1999 Mustang power steering pulley?

Has anyone ever attempted to remove the power steering pulley from a '99 Mustang?

I want to replace the power steering pump because it is just too noisy but I can't remove the pulley. I purchased an universal pulley removal from Advance Auto Parts but it would ven move the pulley a millimiter so I took it back. If I bought the pump and fluid my mecchanic charges $150 for the labor. I know it can't be to much of a difficult job when the pully is removed and I could buy myself a good pulley for half the price if I can find the right one.

By the way, I already replace the fluid and the noise is still there even though it is a little less noisy. Furthermore, if I can remove the pulley would a standard pump from Advance Auto Parts works okay?

Thank you for any advice.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008
Mustang II Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
Send a message via Yahoo to heavy metal
The standard pump should work fine.The only way to get the pulley off is to use a puller desinged for it.The power steering pump pulley remover at Advance should do it,they are on real tight and require alot of pressure to get off.You will need that tool to reinstall the pulley also,
Iczer5 likes this.

Cherish those around you,for at the blink
of an eye,they can be gone.

Sponsored Links
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page