Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > V6 Mustang > V6 Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

1979-2004 V6 Mustang Tech Discussions

V6 Forums | V6 Talk | V6 Tech | 2005+ V6 Tech | V6 Pictures | Introductions | General Tech | Lounge 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 12-20-2009   #1 (permalink)
mkralla11 is offline Rookie

mkralla11's Country Flag
Chelmsford   Massachusetts
mkralla11 is on a distinguished road
Default New User of Forum, 1997 Mustang 3.8L V6 Tensioner arm/pulley removal problems

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and love mustangs.
My 1997 Mustang V6 Belt tensioner arm is broken and completely jammed in place. I've tried to loosen it every way possible; i.e. hexagonal allen wrench attached to long pole for leverage, tapping allen wrench with hammer, WD-40 to help loosen, etc.

I ended up stripping the bolt that holds the belt tensioner arm to the engine, so I tried to use a bolt removal/extractor tool from craftsman after drilling through the bolt and the extractor ended up breaking off inside the bolt :shiny: great news, right? luckily I was able to get most of the broken piece out.

At this point, I'm at a loss. I have no more good ideas of how to get this bolt out. The main problem is, after all the years my mustang has been driven, the constant strain and heat build-up has most-likely "melted" the bolt into place.

One last idea I have involves heating the bolt with a torch to help with loosening it but I don't want to spend another 15 bucks on a burnz-o-matic blow torch.

Any ideas what-so-ever will be greatly appreciated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2009   #2 (permalink)
stlwagon is offline MODERATOR

Classic Member
S197 Member

stlwagon's Country Flag  View stlwagon's 60 photos  View stlwagon's 2 classified ads
Southern   Maryland
stlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon

Welcome to AFM. We'll find you some help in here.
Unread 12-20-2009   #3 (permalink)
shinerstang is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

V6 Member

shinerstang's Country Flag  View shinerstang's 17 photos  View shinerstang's HomePage
Greensburg   Kentucky
shinerstang is on a distinguished road

I think at this point, you are better off getting a whole new bracket assembly from a junk yard.....
2002 V6 Turbo 10:25@134.52
2001 V6 Nitrous 12:94@104.88
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 12-20-2009   #4 (permalink)
msmassey is offline GT Member

5.0L Member

msmassey's Country Flag  View msmassey's 105 photos
Rainier   Oregon
msmassey is on a distinguished road

Welcome to AFM.
Unread 08-09-2010   #5 (permalink)
mustangnut68 is offline Rookie

V6 Member

mustangnut68's Country Flag
Auburn   Washington
mustangnut68 is on a distinguished road
Default Don't worry, I had the same problem

So last Friday I had the same problem you have, and I've realized that's because both the bearing bolt and belt tensioner bolt are reverse threaded. So I reefed on the belt tensioner arm hard enough I actually broke it off. So now I have the spring loaded half of the tensioner still attached to the engine block, which of course I did like you and stripped it. BTW, it's a torx (star) type socket about 8mm (or i think 3/8 ? in standard) and I'm pretty sure it's reverse threaded. So I know this post was a while back but if anyone gets into this situation again and have stripped the tensioner bolt. Just grind/drill off the head of the bolt ONLY so the whole belt tensioner assembly slides off. Then take either a monkey wrench or pipe wrench or grind the bolt square so you can get a crescent wrench on it to remove it REVERSE thread!!! I'm going to test the reverse thread theory and will let you know what happens, if anyone has any more insight or knows more than me (and there are plenty of people that do) please offer us your wisdom,
Unread 08-09-2010   #6 (permalink)
mustangnut68 is offline Rookie

V6 Member

mustangnut68's Country Flag
Auburn   Washington
mustangnut68 is on a distinguished road
Default okay, now I got it

Alright, so this is verified by test...

The torx (star) pattern bolt securing the entire tensioner assembly to the engine block is regular direction threaded. Also of note, it is not a blind hole, so the thread and bolt can go all the way thru. When the motor is cool, it is very difficult to remove, this is because of the different materials and the repeatative heating and cooling of those materials (ie aluminum and different grades of steel). So my recommendation is to let the motor heat up to operating temp, then try and remove said bolt, or if you can't or just want a crappy challenge, then you can pry the tensioner apart and grind the head of the bolt off so you can slide the rest of the tensioner off and replace the bolt. Or you can just heat it all up via running the engine and it should come off...also when reinstalling, use anti-seize ( I also put a little dab of thread locker on the last threads to contact the hole, not needed, I'm just paranoid) DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN when reinstalling!!!!!!!!!!!

The hex head bolt securing the bearing (pulley, wheel, whathaveyou) IS REVERSE THREADED!! Do not do what I did and reef on the thing until you break off the arm of the tensioner! If the bearing on the tensioner is bad, it is much easier to replace only the pulley and not the whole tensioner assembly. SO yes, this one is reverse threaded.

Recap: Tensioner assembly = torx ( T-50 i think), regular thread
Tensioner Pulley only = hex head (18mm i think), reverse thread

Hope this helps someone out there from doing what the two of us both did!
Unread 08-10-2010   #7 (permalink)
Silver J is offline GT Member

V6 Member

Silver J's Country Flag  View Silver J's 18 photos
Nanticoke   Pennsylvania
Silver J is on a distinguished road

Thanks for trying it out and sharing your results!!! Sorry you had such bad luck in the first place...
RIMS: XXR 006 black spoke with blue lip; 18x8.5 front, 18x9.5 rear
TIRES: BFG KDW/2 245/40R18 front, 275/35R18 rear
Unread 01-21-2013   #8 (permalink)
pnedry is offline Rookie

pnedry's Country Flag
Ida   Michigan
pnedry is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Tensioner arm bolt stripped, too

I know some of these posts are dated, but they are never the less helpful to those who don't pull maintenance under the hood of a Mustang very often.

My grandson has a 1997 3.8 vehicle. The bearing was frozen on the pulley of the tensioner, so like several posts on this and several other forums, I was unaware that it was left hand thread and busted the bracket. I was trying not to double-down on dumb by twisting off the bolt that holds the tensioner assembly to the engine block.

The bolt supposedly has a T50-Torx head, but because of rust and previous service, it was stripped. A T55 was too large. An 8mm hex/allen head worked better but was still insufficient to break it loose with out further stripping it.

I had no torch, but I did have a little Dremel tool with lots of little cutting disks. I pried the cover of the spring off and managed to get most of the 'guts' of the assembly removed. That exposed the part of the casting through which the bolt goes. As it is countersunk, I had to cut and chip enough of the casting away to get a large a pipe wrench as would fit onto the bolt head. BTW, I had removed the anti-freeze reservoir for more maneuver room.

After grinding and chipping away enough of the casting, I could get a pipe wrench on the bolt--with just enough wiggle room to break it loose. I suppose if I had had this on a hoist or at least jacked up and removed the tire, I could have thrown some heat on the back of the head of the bolt--but I didn't. I was able to clean up the threads on the bolt and file down the marks from the pipe wrench, to salvage the bolt. I suppose in a perfect world, it should have been replace--but it ain't a perfect world!!

The re-assembly was pretty quick, and a large pry bar for a little 'reef' got the belt back on--and it is back running.

This appears to be a high failure rate component. Thanks for the many posts; I wish I had read them BEFORE beginning the project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags
arm, belt, bolt, removal, tensioner

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162