Oil Pressure Gauge reading a little high. 1998 Mustang 3.8l - Ford Mustang Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010 Thread Starter
Question Oil Pressure Gauge reading a little high. 1998 Mustang 3.8l

I have a 98' Mustang 3.8l and the oil pressure gauge is reading between the "MA" on "NORMAL" when its usually between the "RM". Can anyone tell why it might be doing this, and what i can do to fix it. Thanks ahead of time for all advice.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010
Did this just start all of a sudden one day? Or has it every read unusually high or low before?
Either way, a couple of things come to mind rcaldwell.
One thing is that these gauges don't seem to be as reliable, once they get older, as the old stuff seemed to be. Too "sophisticated' by half I'd guess. The one in my '95 is all over the place, but usually stuck halfway away from where it should be.
Another is that your sending unit may be getting old and not quite working correctly.
By the same token, a wire or connector may be getting old and corroded. That used to mean a lower than normal reading, but I'm not sure it still would. Someone here should know though.
Lastly, assuming that your gauge is working correctly, there are times when oil pressures vary inside the engine. I'm sure I don't know all of them, but some are: Oil level, oil condition, filter condition, age/condition of pump, some clogging of ports and galleries inside the block. That kind of stuff.
My old 302 used to tell me when it was running more than a quart low, by going up about 15psi higher than normal.
Go figure...

Hope someone else here can help you better than me, but those are a few things that come to mind initially.
Bottom line though, I wouldn't think it's of too much concern that your pressure is up just a bit. Just yet anyway. Might be just a fluke.
If it changes again however, up or down, it'd be time to get a mechanical gauge hooked up directly to the engine to verify just where the pressure is, compared to the gauge.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010 Thread Starter
Thanks for the response. I first noticed it a few weeks ago. I was just wandering if there was anything to be concerned about. Thanks again.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010
Mine reads over half way as well but as long as its in the "Normal" reading which is pretty much the whole gauge then your fine.
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread

high oil pressure , oil gauge , oil pressure , oil pressure high

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page