Just wanted to add the actual procedure for checking tranny fluid on an automatic:
1) have the car at operating temperature (20 min drive)
2) park it but keep it running
3) with your foot on the brake, move the shifter through each gear, pausing on each one for a few seconds, then bring it back up through the gears in the same manner
4) now check the fluid level
5) add a little if necessary (small increments, as somebody stated) about 200mL each time. Most bottles are a full liter, so look for markings on the side.
6) repeat steps 3-5 until the appropriate level is reached.
IMPORTANT: look at your dipstick to find what ATF (auto tranny fluid) you should be using. Probably Mercon IV or V.
FLASH = 98 V6, chrome yellow, black & blue accents, 130k daily driver POWER
: divorced exhaust with glasspacks; BBK CAI, TB, UDPs; (shift kit in the garage) STYLE
: smoked headlight covers, black taillights, black grille w/foglights behind, black hood pins, window tint, blue hood & side scoops, blue billet fuel door, interior billet, HIDs RIMS
: XXR 006 black spoke with blue lip; 18x8.5 front, 18x9.5 rear TIRES
: BFG KDW/2 245/40R18 front, 275/35R18 rear