1994 V6 Mustang Odometer Not Working - Ford Mustang Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011 Thread Starter
1994 V6 Mustang Odometer Not Working

94 v6 speedometer and tac. work fine, odometer not. Are speedometer and odometer controlled buy same cable or is it electronic, and what could be the problem?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011
Welcome to AFM! Let's move this to the V6 Tech section for you and get you some help.

Thanks for joining!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011
V6 Member
Ah...more than likely your gears are just worn out. You prob have a lot of miles on the car which wears the tiny plastic odometer gears out. Take the whole cluster out and take off the needles, but make sure you take a pic of where the needles were when you took them off, take the gauge plates off to get to the odometer. U'll need a very tiny wrench to get the odometer out and then you will see that plastic gear. You'll prob notice that the teeth are way too worn.

I'm not really sure where you could get one...maybe Ford would be the best? Junkyards will have whole cluster's for sale, but there around 60 bucks. I have a cluster layin around if you absulutley need one.

Hint: after you get it fixed and want to put the cluster back in, I would just plug in both the plugs in the back of the cluster and then once you have the needles on turn the key to the "on" position so you make sure the needles are in the correct spot. Once there in the right spot then you can put the plastic lens back on.

Good luck! Hope this is the problem. It sounds complicated, but once you start tickering with it it's not that hard, just time consuming!
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011
V6 Member
first off, you can get the gears here Odometer Gears | 72 Croatan Road | Newport News, VA 23606 | 757.593.3478

Secondly, to my knowledge, you dont have to take the needles off to get to the gears, I took my cluster out to investigate the same issue (haven't replaced yet, lack of $$) and I was able to pull out the old gears, in several pieces of course.

good luck!
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page