Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > V6 Mustang > V6 Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

1979-2004 V6 Mustang Tech Discussions

V6 Forums | V6 Talk | V6 Tech | 2005+ V6 Tech | V6 Pictures | Introductions | General Tech | Lounge 


Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 08-22-2011   #1 (permalink)
j1700bikerboy is offline Rookie


Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 11 Threads: 1
 j1700bikerboy's Country Flag
lawernceburg   Tennessee
j1700bikerboy is on a distinguished road
Question 1998 Mustang Codes P1151 And P1443. Need help

i bought my 1998 mustang v6 3.8L 5-speed manual about 5 months ago and i have had nothing but problems with it.. i love mustangs and always dreamed about owning one and now i own one im not so sure about them.. since ive bought it i have replaced the clutch, both controlle arms, spark plug, spark plug wires, igntion coil, and the maf. the check engine light has been on since i got it and im tring to fix it and get it running right.. auto zone put the computer to it and gave me a list of codes tht are on it.. the codes are p1151 and p1443.. it will start fine but once it ideals down pasted 1500 rpms it starts shaking the hole car.. the mechanic say i have a miss fire but i have replaced all the electic stuff that should have fixed it.. it also has a hesitation on take off and when im in 3rd gear driving alone it jurks slightly.. these are the only problems im having now and i would appreate it if someone could help me out.. please and thank you...
j1700bikerboy is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Unread 08-22-2011   #2 (permalink)
hotcobra03 is offline PONY Member


Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 494 Threads: 3
 hotcobra03's Country Flag
poteet   Texas
hotcobra03 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1700bikerboy View Post
i bought my 1998 mustang v6 3.8L 5-speed manual about 5 months ago and i have had nothing but problems with it.. i love mustangs and always dreamed about owning one and now i own one im not so sure about them.. since ive bought it i have replaced the clutch, both controlle arms, spark plug, spark plug wires, igntion coil, and the maf. the check engine light has been on since i got it and im tring to fix it and get it running right.. auto zone put the computer to it and gave me a list of codes tht are on it.. the codes are p1151 and p1443.. it will start fine but once it ideals down pasted 1500 rpms it starts shaking the hole car.. the mechanic say i have a miss fire but i have replaced all the electic stuff that should have fixed it.. it also has a hesitation on take off and when im in 3rd gear driving alone it jurks slightly.. these are the only problems im having now and i would appreate it if someone could help me out.. please and thank you...


i would start with going over your work real good..could be as dumb as a vacuum hose ...

the 02 sensor can be bad,,you can switch front 02`s side to side,,if code follows o2 than its bad ,,code stays it other than

po 1151 driverside front 02
HA40 DTC P1131, P1151, P1132, P1152, P2195, P2196, P2197 AND P2198: UPSTREAM HO2S(S) NOT SWITCHING. DTCs P1130 AND P1150: FUEL SYSTEM NOT SWITCHING AT THE FUEL TRIM (RICH OR LEAN)
  • HO2S DTCs Reference list
    • HO2S-11 = DTCs P1131, P1132, P1130, P2195 and P2196
    • HO2S-21 = DTCs P1151, P1152, P1150, P2197 and P2198
  • Check intake air system for leaks, obstructions, damage and blockage.
  • Verify integrity of the PCV system.
  • Check for disconnected spark plug wires.
  • Check for vacuum leaks.
po1443..evap system....ouch


P1443 - Very Small Or No Purge Flow Condition A fuel tank pressure change greater than a minus (-) 7 inches of H 2 O in 30 seconds has occurred with purge (fuel vapor) flow less than 0.02 pounds per minute.
  • Blocked fuel vapor hose between EVAP canister purge valve and FTP sensor.
  • Blocked fuel vapor hose between EVAP canister purge valve and engine intake manifold.
  • Blocked vacuum hose between EVAP canister purge valve-solenoid and engine intake manifold.
  • EVAP canister purge valve stuck closed (mechanically).
Check for blockages between the fuel tank, EVAP canister purge valve and engine intake manifold. Check obstructions in the EVAP canister purge valve diaphragm and ports.
evap testing
https://acrobat.com/#d=VB5nJ1g6-NBgZx8gyzHxPQ
hotcobra03 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011   #3 (permalink)
j1700bikerboy is offline Rookie


Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 11 Threads: 1
 j1700bikerboy's Country Flag
lawernceburg   Tennessee
j1700bikerboy is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcobra03 View Post
i would start with going over your work real good..could be as dumb as a vacuum hose ...

the 02 sensor can be bad,,you can switch front 02`s side to side,,if code follows o2 than its bad ,,code stays it other than

po 1151 driverside front 02
HA40 DTC P1131, P1151, P1132, P1152, P2195, P2196, P2197 AND P2198: UPSTREAM HO2S(S) NOT SWITCHING. DTCs P1130 AND P1150: FUEL SYSTEM NOT SWITCHING AT THE FUEL TRIM (RICH OR LEAN)
  • HO2S DTCs Reference list
    • HO2S-11 = DTCs P1131, P1132, P1130, P2195 and P2196
    • HO2S-21 = DTCs P1151, P1152, P1150, P2197 and P2198
  • Check intake air system for leaks, obstructions, damage and blockage.
  • Verify integrity of the PCV system.
  • Check for disconnected spark plug wires.
  • Check for vacuum leaks.
po1443..evap system....ouch


P1443 - Very Small Or No Purge Flow Condition A fuel tank pressure change greater than a minus (-) 7 inches of H 2 O in 30 seconds has occurred with purge (fuel vapor) flow less than 0.02 pounds per minute.
  • Blocked fuel vapor hose between EVAP canister purge valve and FTP sensor.
  • Blocked fuel vapor hose between EVAP canister purge valve and engine intake manifold.
  • Blocked vacuum hose between EVAP canister purge valve-solenoid and engine intake manifold.
  • EVAP canister purge valve stuck closed (mechanically).
Check for blockages between the fuel tank, EVAP canister purge valve and engine intake manifold. Check obstructions in the EVAP canister purge valve diaphragm and ports.
evap testing
https://acrobat.com/#d=VB5nJ1g6-NBgZx8gyzHxPQ
well i looked at the hoses and i noticed that the hose running from my air intake behind the maf to the intake was old and was rooting away so i went and got another one and put it on. where are the other hoses that u said to look at.. i dont kno alot about cars yet but want to go to skool for it.. so if u can descibe them or maybe post a pic it would be easier for me.. i dont kno what everything is called... thanks for the reply tho.. it is helpful..
j1700bikerboy is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011   #4 (permalink)
hotcobra03 is offline PONY Member


Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 494 Threads: 3
 hotcobra03's Country Flag
poteet   Texas
hotcobra03 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1700bikerboy View Post
well i looked at the hoses and i noticed that the hose running from my air intake behind the maf to the intake was old and was rooting away so i went and got another one and put it on. where are the other hoses that u said to look at.. i dont kno alot about cars yet but want to go to skool for it.. so if u can descibe them or maybe post a pic it would be easier for me.. i dont kno what everything is called... thanks for the reply tho.. it is helpful..


best i can tell you is to read...here is the best i can do for now..

Gale Cengage Product Failure


when using this link above menu is a search bar,,,when you use it you must click the search button,,,hitting enter on key board it will say no results found..

you will find google to be helpfull ,,i posted a link for evap testing,,this is also in the chiltons just harder to find untill you get the hang of it
hotcobra03 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011   #5 (permalink)
j1700bikerboy is offline Rookie


Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 11 Threads: 1
 j1700bikerboy's Country Flag
lawernceburg   Tennessee
j1700bikerboy is on a distinguished road
Default

Well thanks for all your help man.. i appreciate it..
j1700bikerboy is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011   #6 (permalink)
hotcobra03 is offline PONY Member


Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 494 Threads: 3
 hotcobra03's Country Flag
poteet   Texas
hotcobra03 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1700bikerboy View Post
Well thanks for all your help man.. i appreciate it..

no prob..after you read alittle let the questions fly''

they have some great guys on here that will help you...
hotcobra03 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011   #7 (permalink)
j1700bikerboy is offline Rookie


Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 11 Threads: 1
 j1700bikerboy's Country Flag
lawernceburg   Tennessee
j1700bikerboy is on a distinguished road
Default

yea if i can find a pic of my motor with details of parts name. if i could find what you talking about i can look at it and c if it need new hoses and once thts done we can move on if tht doesnt fix it..
j1700bikerboy is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011   #8 (permalink)
j1700bikerboy is offline Rookie


Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 11 Threads: 1
 j1700bikerboy's Country Flag
lawernceburg   Tennessee
j1700bikerboy is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcobra03 View Post
no prob..after you read alittle let the questions fly''

they have some great guys on here that will help you...
ok i finaully found what u was tlkin about.. the hoses tht connect to it one side looks ok but the other one has cracks in it.. you got to bend it a lil and u can c the cracks.. but im going to get some more hose for it. thanks.
j1700bikerboy is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011   #9 (permalink)
j1700bikerboy is offline Rookie


Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 11 Threads: 1
 j1700bikerboy's Country Flag
lawernceburg   Tennessee
j1700bikerboy is on a distinguished road
Default

ok so i put a new fuel filter on it and the check engine light went off.. so lets see if it stays off..
j1700bikerboy is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011   #10 (permalink)
wmburns is offline BOSS Member


Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,923 Threads: 0
 wmburns's Country Flag
Houston   Texas
wmburns is a jewel in the roughwmburns is a jewel in the roughwmburns is a jewel in the roughwmburns is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1700bikerboy View Post
yea if i can find a pic of my motor with details of parts name. if i could find what you talking about i can look at it and c if it need new hoses and once thts done we can move on if tht doesnt fix it..
Please consider getting yourself a Chilton's service manual. The forums can not take the place of a professionally written service manual. The pictures are top notch. It is written assuming the reader is not a professional.

It will pay for itself with the first repair. Compond interest with every repair there after.

The forums will be able to help much more when you have a manual to help answer/refer to for some of the basic questions. The forums work best to fill in the gaps.
__________________
2003 GT Convertible (sold)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
wmburns is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011   #11 (permalink)
hotcobra03 is offline PONY Member


Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 494 Threads: 3
 hotcobra03's Country Flag
poteet   Texas
hotcobra03 is on a distinguished road
Default

keep us posted...

how did you like the chilton site...so do some dont...i found it to be very helpfull i work on anything...

my parents told me storys of when i was under 5 they were scared to come home...

i would take stuff apart just to see how it went together...tv`s back than had tubes...
hotcobra03 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011   #12 (permalink)
dtpoirot is offline Apprentice


Joined: May 2011
Posts: 130 Threads: 13
 dtpoirot's Country Flag  View dtpoirot's 8 photos
Baytown   Texas
dtpoirot is on a distinguished road
Default

TV's WITH TUBES WERE THE BEST!

Back in the day, what passed for convienience stores actually had RCA tube testers in the back.

If we got a little extra ghosting in the image or the image wouldn't sync, out they all came and it was time for a trip to the store!

All different sizes, all different numbers and a pretty map to show where they all went!

what fun...
__________________
2001 Silver Bullitt v6 5spd
Go: Windstar intake w/ 65mm TB (!), BWD coil pack, Autolite double-platinum plugs, MSD 8.5mm wires, BWD DPFE, BWD IAC, Monroe Sensa-Trac gas shocks
Show: ACC Carpet, 2007 Anthracite Bullit rims 17"x8" w/ 235/55/ZR17 Riken Raptor tires, clear headlights, Ford Racing Bullit fuel door (!), Home Depot front lip
Whoa: Ceramic pads, front calipers, master cylinder
2003 Silver Lincoln LS V8: Perfect just the way it is!
2001 Harley Sportster: Black, because it's faster
dtpoirot is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011   #13 (permalink)
j1700bikerboy is offline Rookie


Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 11 Threads: 1
 j1700bikerboy's Country Flag
lawernceburg   Tennessee
j1700bikerboy is on a distinguished road
Default

well after two days the check engine light can back on and its showing the same codes as before..
j1700bikerboy is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011   #14 (permalink)
wmburns is offline BOSS Member


Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,923 Threads: 0
 wmburns's Country Flag
Houston   Texas
wmburns is a jewel in the roughwmburns is a jewel in the roughwmburns is a jewel in the roughwmburns is a jewel in the rough
Default

DTC P1151 is a lack of switch on the front left hand O2 sensor.

I personally would have been surprised if replacing the fuel filter fixed a P1151 and EVAP P1443.

In some ways, the P1151 is one of the hardest to fix because the list of POSSIBLE causes is sooooo long.

Trouble shooting has to begin with a through look for vacuum and exhaust leaks. Focus FIRST on the spots that can affect the left side of the motor. Value cover gaskets, oil dip stick, PVC breather line. Exhaust leaks on the left side especially from the EGR system.

The move onto to anywhere else unmetered air can enter. Don't cut corners. Even a tiny vacuum leak can cause issues.

Check ALL hoses for leaks and loose fittings.

Since you have an EVAP problem at the same time, pay SPECIAL attention to the EVAP gas vapor line from the throttle body. Gas vapors are hard on rubber parts. Frequently these hoses rot from the inside out. Touching an EVAP hose will leave tons of black deposits on your hands.

This information has already been given once. Now it time to roll up your sleeves and get under the covers a little bit more. A DTC P1151 isn't going to give itself up for just a fuel filter. The car gods demand a bigger sacrifice.
__________________
2003 GT Convertible (sold)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
wmburns is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply   Post New Thread



Thread Tools



Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172