2000 Mustang leaking antifreeze from air conditioner line - Ford Mustang Forum

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Len88's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Economy
Posts: 4
 
2000 Mustang leaking antifreeze from air conditioner line

Hi,
I was driving my 2000 3.8L when there was a cloud of smoke/steam came into the cabin. I shut it off and heard a high pressure hiss coming from the passenger side of the engine. Now the A/C does not work (clutch not engaging) and antifreeze is leaking from around a sensor that is plugged into a A/C line under the compressor. How are these two systems connected?
Thanks, Len

Len88 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
 
metalman302's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,907
 
Antifreeze? Or did you mean refrigerant?

A sudden pressure release might have frozen your cooling coil under your dash. So you may have been seeing cold vapors or whavever.


1990 GT 5.0 - H/C/I
2003 GT - bolt-ons, 87 octane, 252/298 rw
metalman302 is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Len88's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Economy
Posts: 4
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman302 View Post
Antifreeze? Or did you mean refrigerant?

A sudden pressure release might have frozen your cooling coil under your dash. So you may have been seeing cold vapors or whavever.
No, antifreeze dripping from the sensor housing.
Len88 is offline  
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012
SHELBY GT 350 Member
 
wmburns's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 6,072
       
Likely the heater core is leaking. The antifreeze is draining out the AC drain.

The bad news is that the dash has to be removed to replace the heater core. I won't lie. It's a bid job (I have done it). PM if you need manuals on how to do it.

If you decide to bypass the heater core, LOOP the heater lines. Do not cut and plug them. The modular motor needs the constant water flow to prevent air from being trapped inside the motor.

2003 GT Convertible (sold & missed)
2000 GT coupe (Craigslist project. Fixed. Now my DD). Windsor to Romeo swap.
wmburns is online now  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
 
metalman302's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,907
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len88 View Post
Hi,
I was driving my 2000 3.8L when there was a cloud of smoke/steam came into the cabin. I shut it off and heard a high pressure hiss coming from the passenger side of the engine. Now the A/C does not work (clutch not engaging) and antifreeze is leaking from around a sensor that is plugged into a A/C line under the compressor. How are these two systems connected?
Thanks, Len
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len88 View Post
No, antifreeze dripping from the sensor housing.
AC takes refrigerant (it sometimes has green UV dye)

Your radiator takes antifreeze.

Which one is it? Because antifreeze did not magically get into your AC lines somehow....

1990 GT 5.0 - H/C/I
2003 GT - bolt-ons, 87 octane, 252/298 rw
metalman302 is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Len88's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Economy
Posts: 4
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman302 View Post
AC takes refrigerant (it sometimes has green UV dye)

Your radiator takes antifreeze.

Which one is it? Because antifreeze did not magically get into your AC lines somehow....
It appears to be antifreeze (green liquid dripping on the ground). Is the UV dye a liquid that can form a large puddle (more than a foot across) on the first leak? I drove the car a couple more times and no leaks, then today a small leak (2-3 inches across). I would understand if antifreeze was coming out of the firewall (bad heater core), but couldn't understand how it could get into the A/C lines unless there was some part the two systems had in common that I was unaware of.
Len88 is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012
MACH I Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
 
metalman302's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 2,907
 
The UV dye is going to be mixed in with the oil. Did the puddle evaporate? It is unlikely that enough oil would leak to form a 1 foot puddle.

Maybe it is a small refrigerant leak that you saw, but the rest of the liquid from the puddle was just from sweat/condensation on the line?

1990 GT 5.0 - H/C/I
2003 GT - bolt-ons, 87 octane, 252/298 rw
metalman302 is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Len88's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Economy
Posts: 4
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman302 View Post
The UV dye is going to be mixed in with the oil. Did the puddle evaporate? It is unlikely that enough oil would leak to form a 1 foot puddle.

Maybe it is a small refrigerant leak that you saw, but the rest of the liquid from the puddle was just from sweat/condensation on the line?
Not sure if it evaporated (it's 40 miles away). I got a sample of the liquid and it's definately oil (being color blind and not able to smell makes things more interesting), so it looks like just an A/C leak.
Len88 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome