Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > V6 Mustang > V6 Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

1979-2004 V6 Mustang Tech Discussions

V6 Forums | V6 Talk | V6 Tech | 2005+ V6 Tech | V6 Pictures | Introductions | General Tech | Lounge 

Closed Thread   Post New Thread
Unread 07-27-2006   #1 (permalink)
via sin dios is offline Rookie

V6 Member

via sin dios's Country Flag
Chicago   Illinois
via sin dios is on a distinguished road
Default 4.10 or 3.73 ,what to get?

I looked everywhere and cannot find out what the gear size means.
What would be the differance in performance if i get a 4.10 or 3.73 gears?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2006   #2 (permalink)
kscoyote is offline Top Dog

V6 Member

kscoyote's Country Flag  View kscoyote's 220 photos  View kscoyote's HomePage
Topeka   Kansas
kscoyote is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to kscoyote Send a message via AIM to kscoyote Send a message via MSN to kscoyote Send a message via Yahoo to kscoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by via sin dios
a few 0.10s in the quarter mile.

basically the measurement is the number of rotations of the wheel per rotation of the driveshaft.
Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 07-27-2006   #3 (permalink)
302THEBOSS is offline Made Member

Classic Member

302THEBOSS's Country Flag
Danbury   Connecticut
302THEBOSS is on a distinguished road

With 4.10s the driveshaft will rotate 4.10 times for every 1 rotation of the tires. This multiplies torque by 4.10 multiplied by the ratio of the transmission gear that you are in and allows your engine to rev up faster, but it also limits top speed and will raise rpms at highway speeds.
Unread 07-28-2006   #4 (permalink)
rowland220 is offline Rookie

rowland220's Country Flag
hampton Va   Virginia
rowland220 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

get the 3.73 unless your planning on doing a whole lot of performance work. 3.73 are good for the daily driver and street light bandit
Unread 07-28-2006   #5 (permalink)
via sin dios is offline Rookie

V6 Member

via sin dios's Country Flag
Chicago   Illinois
via sin dios is on a distinguished road

which one if faster off the line?
Unread 07-28-2006   #6 (permalink)

V6 Member

Topeka   Kansas
Send a message via ICQ to kscoyote Send a message via AIM to kscoyote Send a message via MSN to kscoyote Send a message via Yahoo to kscoyote

Quote:
which one if faster off the line?
The higher the ratio the faster off the line, but it comes at a price.
Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
Unread 07-31-2006   #7 (permalink)
nitrous36 is offline Apprentice

V6 Member

nitrous36's Country Flag
Wilmington   North Carolina
nitrous36 is on a distinguished road

I want the 3.73 gears. How much of a difference will they make. Will it effect gas milage badly both highway and city. I always heard 4.10s were a killer on gas. But are 3.73s? I plan to supercharge the car eventually and wonder if I should stay with stock gearing or go up.
Unread 07-31-2006   #8 (permalink)

Classic Member

Danbury   Connecticut

3.73s will give you better mileage than 4.10s. If youre going to supercharge it eventually go with 3.73s, with the extra torque 1st gear is not even going to challenge the engine, its going to wind through it.
Unread 07-31-2006   #9 (permalink)

V6 Member

nitrous36's Country Flag

So with a supercharger the 3.73 gears will help make good use of first gear w/o whining it out from the extra torque?
Unread 07-31-2006   #10 (permalink)

Classic Member

Danbury   Connecticut

Yeah, that what I would say. I would let a few more people chime in who actually have Mustangs, but with 4.10s and the stock engine and the stock first gear in the transmission, im sure that it goes through first pretty fast. The thing is, you want the engine to wind up fast to get it into its torque range if you have a higher end engine, but with the supercharger your going to flatten that torque curve out and raise it all through the rpm range. With the extra torque, you would go through first like nothing and will do a few things that, in my opinion, will actually make your car slower. First, going through first so fast that its not going to be in the max torque range very long and will not pull its hardest for a long time. The gear ratio multiplies torque by the given ratio, but having 4.10s would leave you (not just in first but the effects would be more noticable in the 5.0s short first gear) making your max torque for only so long. With 3.73s, you might not make as much torque peak, but over the whole gear, if you averaged it out for the amount of time you spend in that gear, you would probably make a very similar amount of torque for a longer time. The 5.0s also arent a very high end mill either, around 5500 rpms is where you want to shift, sometimes lower. Anyway, here you can take a bit of advise from some Buick, Olds, and Pontiac 455 bruiser guys. They will often use tall gears, like 3.55s, because those 455s cant rev high, they usually need to be shifted around where 5.0s do when they have a strong bottom end to handle it (remember, they have very long strokes which arent stable to rev very high), but the things pull like a damn freight train from right off idle to where they need to be shifted. If they used 4.10s, sure, they would be putting more torque to the road, but they would also be shifting very often and their engines would be running out of breath near the end of the quarter. I hope im making sense to you lol, sometimes im pretty good at making things sound more confusing than they are.
Unread 07-31-2006   #11 (permalink)

V6 Member

Topeka   Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous36
So with a supercharger the 3.73 gears will help make good use of first gear w/o whining it out from the extra torque?
With a SC, you really need 3.27s or 3.45s at the most.

People here have argued with me for years, but Supersix Motorsports finally proved my point. You put MORE power down over a LONGER period of time with the numerically lower gears.

If you're going naturally aspirated or have a comparatively stock combination, THEN you can use a set of gears.
Unread 07-31-2006   #12 (permalink)

V6 Member

Topeka   Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302THEBOSS
Yeah, that what I would say. I would let a few more people chime in who actually have Mustangs, but with 4.10s and the stock engine and the stock first gear in the transmission, im sure that it goes through first pretty fast. The thing is, you want the engine to wind up fast to get it into its torque range if you have a higher end engine, but with the supercharger your going to flatten that torque curve out and raise it all through the rpm range. With the extra torque, you would go through first like nothing and will do a few things that, in my opinion, will actually make your car slower. First, going through first so fast that its not going to be in the max torque range very long and will not pull its hardest for a long time. The gear ratio multiplies torque by the given ratio, but having 4.10s would leave you (not just in first but the effects would be more noticable in the 5.0s short first gear) making your max torque for only so long. With 3.73s, you might not make as much torque peak, but over the whole gear, if you averaged it out for the amount of time you spend in that gear, you would probably make a very similar amount of torque for a longer time. The 5.0s also arent a very high end mill either, around 5500 rpms is where you want to shift, sometimes lower. Anyway, here you can take a bit of advise from some Buick, Olds, and Pontiac 455 bruiser guys. They will often use tall gears, like 3.55s, because those 455s cant rev high, they usually need to be shifted around where 5.0s do when they have a strong bottom end to handle it (remember, they have very long strokes which arent stable to rev very high), but the things pull like a damn freight train from right off idle to where they need to be shifted. If they used 4.10s, sure, they would be putting more torque to the road, but they would also be shifting very often and their engines would be running out of breath near the end of the quarter. I hope im making sense to you lol, sometimes im pretty good at making things sound more confusing than they are.
yeah, that's exactly right.

I used to kill ALL kinds of bowties running 4.11 gears wth the 3.08s in my 302.
Unread 07-31-2006   #13 (permalink)

V6 Member

nitrous36's Country Flag

So when I get a SC it would be more beneficial to just leave the 3.27s in than to use the 3.73s? Unless the car is mostly stock and N/A there is not as much need for a bigger gear. Also my car is automatic. Right now without an SC 3.73s would be ok. Is that what you are saying?
Unread 07-31-2006   #14 (permalink)

V6 Member

Topeka   Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous36
So when I get a SC it would be more beneficial to just leave the 3.27s in than to use the 3.73s? Unless the car is mostly stock and N/A there is not as much need for a bigger gear. Also my car is automatic. Right now without an SC 3.73s would be ok. Is that what you are saying?
yeah, but that's an awful big expense for something you're gonna' haveta' swap again.

If it ends up costing you $600 when it's all said and done -that's 25% of your supercharger right there. You're better off staying with your stock gears and saving your money to reach your goal.
Unread 07-31-2006   #15 (permalink)

V6 Member

nitrous36's Country Flag

I didnt plan to swap the gears if I didnt need them. I was just restating your point to make sure I understood it right. I have the money to get the SC now but I want to beef up the rear diff and exhaust before I do. With the CAI, UD pulley, and DiabloSport tuner the car spins out easy, especially in the rain. I cant get no traction or power down to the road if its wet enough. So Ill really need that locker for the SC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172