2001 Mustang V6 w/ 52K miles when should I change the timing belt - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007 Thread Starter

2001 Mustang V6 w/ 52K miles when should I change the timing belt

hey, i recently purchased a 2001 Mustang V6 with 52K miles and i have a few questions i was hoping you guys could answer. First off, should i change the time belt at 60K, most people tell me thats approximately the lifespan of of the time belt. ive asked around and they would charge me about $600 for the repair. Second, my car seems to lack some power and im getting pretty bad gas mileage(approximate 23 MPG on the highway), ive tried cleaning the fuel injectors with no effect, the air filter is clean, i need to check the spark plugs and MAF sensor. Do you have any ideas that could help me. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007
5.0L Member

you don't need to change the timing belt at 60k miles, some people never change it. car repair shops will scare you into changing it, i would wait till 90k-100k.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007
V6 Member

(sigh....) Your engine doesn't have a timing belt, it has a timing chain. They usually last 150,000-200,000 miles before they stretch out. Has the car been down on power since you've owned it or it felt more powerful when you first bought it and now it feels less powerful? As far as your gas mileage, tell me how much you drive in a percentage. Like 60% highway, 40% city and tell me what your average mpg is total.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007 Thread Starter

thanks for the info on the timing chain. Well its felt like it lacks power ever since i bought it. i drive it 20% city and 80% highway. just recently i filled it up before making a 240 mile trip (highway) and as soon as i arrived i filled the tank up and it used 11 gallons which if u do a rough calculation is aproximately 21-22 mpg.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andro45 View Post
thanks for the info on the timing chain. Well its felt like it lacks power ever since i bought it. i drive it 20% city and 80% highway. just recently i filled it up before making a 240 mile trip (highway) and as soon as i arrived i filled the tank up and it used 11 gallons which if u do a rough calculation is aproximately 21-22 mpg.
That is average gas mileage for these cars. I drive mostly on the highway like you and I usually get about 22-23 mpg this time of year, and it gets worse during the summer. You are actually getting 28-29 on the highway, but the 20% of the time you are putting around town you are getting 14-15 if that. And that number is worse when the engine is cold. So your mpg is fine. As for the other part, how do you know the car is down on power if you have nothing to compare it to? You only have a 193 hp six cylinder.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007 Thread Starter

Well i guess the ford specs are wrong since they estimate 27 mpg highway and 19 city.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007
MACH I Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

They're not wrong. That's an EPA estimate.

If you read the fine print about the MPG on the new car stickers, it will tell you the + or - average in the MPG. It's generally + - 5MPG from the sticker.

2008 Mustang GT Premium 5 speed, MGW short throw shifter, 3.55 gears, black-on-black, IUP, 18in polished aluminum wheels, FRPP GTA Axle Backs, JLT II CAI w/SCT X-Cal 2. 296HP & 311TQ

1997 Mustang 3.8L AODE, CAI, Dual Exhaust, UDPs, 17" GT wheels

"Some people live their entire lifetime and wonder if they ever made a difference to the world. Marines don't have that problem." -- Ronald Reagan
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007
SHELBY GT 500 Member
V6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andro45 View Post
hey, i recently purchased a 2001 Mustang V6 with 52K miles and i have a few questions i was hoping you guys could answer. First off, should i change the time belt at 60K, most people tell me thats approximately the lifespan of of the time belt. ive asked around and they would charge me about $600 for the repair. Second, my car seems to lack some power and im getting pretty bad gas mileage(approximate 23 MPG on the highway), ive tried cleaning the fuel injectors with no effect, the air filter is clean, i need to check the spark plugs and MAF sensor. Do you have any ideas that could help me. Thanks.

It's got a robust chain, you don't have to even think about that sucker for 200,000 miles.

It's not a Honda.

If you feel like it's down on power -it very well could be your fuel filter, which needs changing every 30-40,000 miles, or your air filter.

Woe to him who builds his palace by unrighteousness,his upper rooms by injustice,making his countrymen work for nothing...Does it make you a king to have more and more cedar?Did not your father have food and drink?He did what was right and just,so all went well with him. He defended the cause of the poor and needy,and so all went well...But your eyes and your heart are set only on dishonest gain,on shedding innocent blood and on oppression and extortion. Jer 22:13, 15-17
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007 Thread Starter

thank you guys. im probably going to install a cold air intake and ill definetely try to change the fuel filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page