Ford Mustang Forum banner

4R70W Trans Problem

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  DAILEY45735 
#1 ·
I own a 2000 3.8 L. with the 4R70W transmission. First and foremost I understand the following issues were my own doing, just looking for a little help in locating the problem or problems, or if I need to just rebuild or replace.

Okay so during the winter months I got stuck in my driveway in snow and ice. After running the crap out of it and shifting between reverse and drive at high rpm trying to rock it out I created some issues. It started as I DID HAVE park, reverse, neutral, and only 4th drive gear. If held at high rpm it would eventually start to pull itself, shudder, shift hard as if trying to shift into lower gears, and eventually accelerated to highway speed. I drove it that way once having no other choice for a round trip of about 20 miles. It was then parked for about a week. Then, again having no other choice, I drove it again about 10 miles, left it running in park for about 5 min., and began the return trip of 10 miles. On the return trip it drove absolutely normal. I had all 4 drive gears. Then I found when I got home that I DID NOT HAVE neutral or reverse, and it was grinding in park. It has remained parked since then. During all of this the fluid has remained a normal color and level.

I have very little experience with transmissions but am limited on resources. I'm fairly confident I could perform linkage or sensor repairs or even a replacement, a rebuild however is beyond me. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.