Ford Mustang Forum banner

Tdc help!!! Please on 2002

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  6stang02 
#1 ·
2day I got to the timing chain and I noticed that there are 3 sprockets the top sprocket has a dot on the bottom right side of the sprocket

The big sprocket has 2 lines on it? And they are in different areas of the sprocket so my question is witch line do I trust??? Here are some pictures of what I am dealing with

#2 ·
2day i got to the timing chain and i noticed that there are 3 sprockets the top sprocket has a dot on the bottom right side of the sprocket

the big sprocket has 2 lines on it? And they are in different areas of the sprocket so my question is witch line do i trust??? Here are some pictures of what i am dealing with

would be best to buy a manual about $20

#3 ·
Here is this from the fmc service manual. Is the timing chain already taken off? If you did you kind of screwed yourself... Since it will be close to impossible to align everything back to be correct, IMHO. It can be done but you have to know how everything needed to be to be correctly. Good luck.

Attachments

#4 ·
No I don't have the timing chain off I'm trying to set it at TDC I already figured out which markers need to align but now I need to figure out where's the number one spark plug so I don't build compression while setting TDC all I've done is take the timing cover off not the timing chain

#5 ·
Any ford motor is set up where the passenger side bank(bank 1) starts 1-2-3 then 4-5-6 on the driver side. The easiest way to do it is to have the valve covers off, but if not you can use the rope method which will work, but you could possibly get it 180°.

#7 ·
I would only remove them if you cannot figure out tdc without them on. I take the valve covers off when doing anything related to timing so i can see what is going on. What are you trying to achieve? Doing just a timing chain and tensioner on your car or a cam swap? In all honesty for just a timing chain and tensioner the valve covers do not have to be removed. The spark plugs are on the side of the block underneath the Air cleaner infront of the manifold. A 5/8th sparkplug socket will get them out along with a 3" extension. Good luck.

#8 ·
K thank you im tryin to replace the timing chain both sprockets bcuz the bottom one is scored real bad also my timing marks are waaay off plan on havn my girl running by 2marrow or the next day im waiting on parts I'll post a vid wen I fireher up I can't wait! Thank you for your help

#10 ·
Honestly im more worried about the fact he is only replacing the scored timing sprokets.. Usually something more goes wrong to score those. Also if the marks were off then valves would be bent.. So possibly a no start too or a rough run. But anyone can do a timing chain it is really simple. Crank keyway at 12 oclock and both valves closed and just slide the chain on, after cam and counter balance shaft is timed. The worse case scenario is that he needs a head job and a few pistons if he makes it worse than it was prior.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.