Ford Mustang Forum banner

clutch and trans issue

798 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  anthonym92 
#1 ·
Okay I've checked this on here but everyone has different symptoms. Anyways. My clutch pedal vibrates when driving and at idle but goes away when I push in the pedal or I'm going highway speed. When I shift there is a vibration and shudders when I let off the clutch in 1st gear. Also when I slightly push in the pedal like not even half an inch I hear a squeak. PO said he got clutch replaced but that the shop said the flywheel was warped from his mom riding the clutch but that it wouldn't hurt anything which I'm sure is BS on the shops part. Could all this be just the flywheel and a bearing? Also can I just have a shop replace the two or do I need a new clutch kit?

#2 ·
you can probably have the flywheel turned. if not, replace. if the shop didn't replace the throw-out bearing, i would. the clutch disc and pressure plate are probably ok, but you will have to remove it and inspect it to be sure.

#4 ·
I would say, if it is stiff then it is either the clutch cable or a stage 2+ clutch. If you find out your flywheel is warped, thats a possible cause of the sudder, then i would not reuse the clutch disk atleast, due to the situation of vibration and shudder. What you can do to see if the clutch cable is causing your stiff pedal you will have to remove it and inspect how the cable feels when moving it. If a green/white dust flies out when you finally break the cable loose then id get a new cable and address the clutch/flywheel issue after that. Good luck.

#6 ·
Get the flywheel resurfaced. If the shop that you take it to wants to put it on a lathe and turn it then get your flywheel and leave. Take it to a shop with a grinder for resurfacing the flywheel. Never use a flywheel that has been turned on a lathe.

#10 ·
You can get a new clutch kit from O'Reilly's autoparts for $200. It comes with everything you need, including a new pilot bearing and throw out bearing (which may be your problem). I just changed mine on a 2004 3.9 liter. I'm sure you can find cheaper kits online, but if you're gonna go to the trouble of dropping the transmission to work on a clutch, I'll be danged if I wouldn't replace everything in there so I didn't have to do that job again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.