Head gasket questions. 1998 Mustang - Ford Mustang Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007 Thread Starter
Head gasket questions. 1998 Mustang

My father owns a 98 Mustang. His check engine light has been on for at least 8+ months, when it first came on I went to autozone and had the codes pulled. Bad cam shaft position sensor. He never replaced it because his car never acted odd.

A couple days ago it started making a weird noise when cold, acceleration was bad and it had a lot of hesitation. My father said that it got worse when it warmed up but from what I experienced, it was the opposite.

So my father had me take the car to a shop. The shop called me back in about an hour and told me that the head gasket was bad. I know this is a common problem because my first car was a 93 cougar and the head gasket blew. I never worked on a car before that but I took it upon myself to fix it. Car ran fine up untill the transmission died.

I know the symptoms of a blown head gasket, white smoke, over heating, oil in the antifreeze, antifreeze in the oil, a white milky ring around the oil cap, etc.

My dads mustang just does not seem like the headgasket is bad, but im going to replace it for his comfort.

I was tearing the engine apart yesterday and when I took the upper intake manifold off I noticed that the runners are covered in oil.. now that isnt symptomatic of a blown head gasket and it threw me off.

Im not a certified mechanic but ive replaced the head gasket in my cougar, and put a 350 in my 84 camaro (please dont crucify me for saying that =p ) .. and im stumped. Im afraid that there is something more than a dying gasket considering the oil in the runners.

What do you guys think? What would cause this? Cracked cylinder heads?

This is also my first post on the forums, so hello everyone =D

I forgot to mention, the oil seems fine, and the antifreeze doesnt seem polluted which is another reason why I think that the head gasket isnt the suspect. Im guessing the shop did a compression test to see if the gaskets are going bad because they said that they had to replace the spark plugs. A cracked head would cause oil in the runners, driving problems, and oil in the intake runners. This is why im confused.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007
PONY Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member
Send a message via AIM to GT-EATER
The oil in the intake is common for a V6 that has not done a PVC delete , that is the only way I know to prevent that. It would be better to do a compression check if there is a blown head gasket MOST times it will show up in low compression in one cylinder or two side by side .

660.0 RWHP 583.0 Ft. lb's trq. @17.4 PSI
11.584@124.58mph( Old set up)
2002 V6 3.8 liter.
T-5 G-Force Dog Ring
Custom T-80 Turbo built by Delk Performance
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007 Thread Starter
Oh okay, that makes sense, I didnt think about that. Thanks for the help =D.
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page