Ford Mustang Forum banner

Need help!!!

441 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  96Dark 
#1 ·
I have a 96 ford mustang 3.8 manual transmission and have a couple of problems.
First one when i turn off the car the battery light comes on and if i dont disconnect the battery it gets drained. I have no clue to what it could be so if anyone knows id highly apreciate it.
Second i have a leak coming from the metal heater hose that runs from the top of the water pump to the back where the leak is coming from whats the best way to handle this problem if anyone knows.
And third the fuel gauge doesnt seem to work its stuck on 1/4 full idk if it has to do to the fact that i picked up the car from the back to remove the exhaust how do i fix it do i need to replace the fuel level sending unit? please help i wpuld highly apreciate it

#2 ·
First one when i turn off the car the battery light comes on and if i dont disconnect the battery it gets drained.
Suspect a bad ignition switch. There are several gangs tied together and they turn as a unit. Suspect that when the switch is off, there's still one gang that is not off.

To confirm test for +12 volts at I/P fuse 18 with the KEY OFF. Fuse I/P #18 should only have power when the key is start/run.

Another option is to simply pull the fuse with the key off. If the battery light goes out, that proves that the circuit is actually getting power with the key off.

The electric ignition switch is not hard to change and doesn't require any anti-theft (PATS) reprogramming.

The harness to the gas tank does pass under the bumper near the center. From behind the car center bumper, look up for a round connector. That is the harness to the fuel tank. Any damage? Has the fuel take itself been damaged?

#3 ·
I will check that fuse, i haven't really had time been busy tattooing but firs thing in the morning ill get down to it.
As far as the fuel tank goes, i doubt theres any damage but ill get under there and give it a second look.
Thank you wmburns for taking the time to reply i really appreciate your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.