Ford Mustang Forum banner

Starting issue

358 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  wmburns 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'm new to the forum but have been having trouble with starting my car. I took the key out normally the other day and the engine was still running and all the indicator lights and Gauges were still on. I stalled it in 5th to get the engine to stop and had to disconnect the battery to shut off the indicator lights. When I reconnected the battery with the key not in the car, the indicator lights come back on and the engine will not start when the key is turned but it does crank. However if the key is in the on position and then the battery is reconnected the car starts fine. I have taken out the ignition switch and the indicator lights still turn on when the battery is connected so the entire ignition system is being bypassed. I also unhooked the constant control relay module and the indicator lights still turn on when the battery is reconnected. My guesses was either a bad ignition switch or maybe a relay was getting stuck, but I'm not sure what is going on now. Any help is greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
My guesses was either a bad ignition switch
First. Going to assume this a a 1999-2004 model year Mustang.

Next going to assume there hasn't been a break in attempt to this car.

Check out this some what similar thread on how to trouble shoot a possible bad ignition switch.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/972913-04-gt-pcm-dashes.html

Note the part about testing fuse F2.2, F2.8 and F2.34 with the key off (no voltage) and with the key on (yes voltage).

If this is an older Mustang, the fuses will be different. However, it still seems likely your problem is a bad ignition switch as they do wear out especially now that our Mustangs are getting older.

NOTE! the key cylinder and the electric ignition switch are NOT the same thing. Removing the key cylinder doesn't affect the actual ignition switch. Turning the key cylinder moves a mechanical linkage that also moves the electric ignition switch. Likely your problem is in the switch itself or less likely in the mechanical linkage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.