Ford Mustang Forum banner

neutral safety switch

6K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  wmburns 
#1 ·
i have a 2000 v6 auto mustang and having a problem. to start the car i have to put it in-between reverse and neutral. another thing is when you are driving the car raves really high at 70mph and won't go past 80. i have been thinking it was the neutral safety switch. but don't know how to take off the bolt that holds it on. any info would help thanks.

#2 ·
IMO your problem is that the automatic transmission digital range control (DTR) is out of adjustment. IE what position the gear shift lever is in is not the same as what the transmission "thinks" it is.

For the same reason, likely when in drive, the transmission is actually in 2nd gear. Your gas mileage must be very bad!

When the gear shift is in neutral, then the DTR lever on the transmission itself also has to be in Neutral. There is an adjustment "clamp" on the DTR lever to allow the gear shift to be set the same.

#3 ·
okay thank you sorry for the late reply. thats what i thought it was. do you know how take it off to re adjust it I'm not sure. i got under and felt like i was going to break it got off the 2 smaller one just not the one that goes in the middle. any help is appreciated.

#4 ·
Here's is the adjustment procedure from the Ford service manual. Basically place the shifter into "drive" and then loosen the nut on the transmission DTR lever and count the clicks until the DTR is also in drive. Tighten the nut. Test. Beer.

>>
Cable Adjustment
NOTE: Make sure that the range selector lever is tight against the rearward overdrive stop.

Place the transmission range selector lever in the overdrive position.
Raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02 .
Loosen the manual control lever nut.

Place the transmission manual control lever in the overdrive position.
Tighten the nut on the manual control lever.

#6 ·
this fixed the car not being in park issue but car still won't drive properly in d it goes for a little while then it seems to get out of gear and rev out. also the brake light is out on the drivers side. checked all of the fuses and they are all good but their seems to be one odd sized one missing. inside of the engine bay.

#7 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.