Ford Mustang Forum banner

Relay Control Module

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  KiddAnky 
#1 ·
Hey guys the air compressor in my 97 mustang is not working and turns out the cause is the relay control module. I wanted to know would it be better if I refurbish it replacing the relays on the inside of the control module (I have some skills in soldering so I could do it myself or send it to get refurbished) or should I buy a brand new relay control module and if so where can I find a good price for a new one?

#2 ·
I had this problem a while back (2002 Mustang). I bought a new CCRM from Autozone and everything ran fine for a month or two, then the air con started cutting out when stationary. To cut a long story short, after a LOT of checking air con pressures I realised the main cooling fan wasn't running. Swapped the CCRM on a hunch (I still had the old one with the failed AC relay) and that was the problem. Got it replaced at Autozone... it failed again, same relay, a couple of months later.

Luckily it was the day I was going back to England (where most of my tools are) so I took the old CCRM back, drilled the rivets out and found that there was a single bad solder joint. I just flooded it with some new solder (I didn't have time to properly desolder and clean) and that lasted about 6,000 miles/6 months. It failed again a few weeks ago, but I just did the same as last time and it's working again now.

For convenience I'd prefer a new module, but I'd probably get one from Ford. I'd certainly avoid the Autozone ones, I just don't think the cooling fan relay is up to the job. I can probably dig out the part number for a replacement relay I bought but in the end never used if you want to do that too.

#3 ·
I don't understand why there would be a question about performing the repair yourself IF you have the skills? What have you got to loose other than your time?

I also don't understand why anyone would pay the HUGE price for a new unit from Ford. Has anyone priced a new unit from Ford?

Consider that the REMAN'ed unit has a guarantee. If it fails, you can get a new one.

The only exception to this would be someone living in an area with poor access to parts. In that case by all means. Take the sure thing.

Reactions: lars DK73
#4 ·
I also don't understand why anyone would pay the HUGE price for a new unit from Ford. Has anyone priced a new unit from Ford?
Not sure if this was aimed at me, if it was I'll admit I haven't got the price from Ford. My experience was that the aftermarket part didn't last more than a month or two so if it fails again I'd certainly get a price for the Ford unit as I don't particularly enjoy changing that part. I've just had a look back and realised it wasn't the Autozone part ($180) that I used but the Advance Auto Parts one ($120) one. Maybe I was unlucky!

#5 ·
Thanks everyone I just purchased a new relay from radio shack(not sure if it's the right size relay). I've seen videos where the reason it's not working is because it loses its connection to the ccrm. If the size is not right I will try to solder the old relay if it is still in good condition and see if that is the problem

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.