Ford Mustang Forum banner

Changing oil pressure switch

10K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Pistonbroke 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm trying to change the oil pressure switch to work out whether that's why I've got no oil pressure showing on the 'gauge'. I've got the new part and a big enough socket to fit over it, but I'm struggling to get a ratchet onto it due to the power steering pump bracket. Is there a trick to changing the switch without removing the power steering pump? I used to be a design engineer and I'm cursing whoever didn't think to add relief to remove that switch...

If removing the power steering pump is necessary, is the switch being full of oil a reasonable indicator that it might be faulty? It certainly doesn't seem right, but I do get a pressure indication if I rev the engine to 2-3000rpm, but it goes when the rev drops again.

Cheers

Ben

Edited to add it's a 2002 3.8 V6

#2 ·
How about using an open end wrench instead? That's what I have used.

Frankly it's a PIA to remove a power steering pump. You don't want to do this unless you have to. Trust me.

OBTW, the oil sender's do go bad. The part is cheap and easy enough to swap just for diagnostic reasons.

#3 ·
It doesn't really look like there's enough room to swing a wrench? (Normally I'd just go and try it, but most of my tools are in England so I don't have the right size to hand) I've attached a photo just to make sure I'm looking at the right thing...

I really don't want to have to pull the power steering pump, but I can't really see how else to get at it. It looks like I might be able to get away with pulling the pulley and unbolting the bracket, but I haven't messed around with PS pumps before and I'm not sure how difficult refitting the pulley would be. (I used to design construction/agricultural machinery and I would have just put a hole in the PS pump bracket to allow for access to the pressure switch!)

I'm guessing a bad sender would normally just fail and show no pressure? Mine has a lot of oil on the electrical side and appears to have been leaking so I'm going to change it anyway, but I'm not certain it is bad.

Attachments

#4 ·
Go to oriellys or vatozone and rent the ps pully pump removal tool. Pull the bracket off and then you can access it. Also, if there is oil all over the sensor/connector the sensor failed. Replace it then figure out if the sensor was leaking or if it was the lower intake or valve cover leaking all over the sensor. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.