Ford Mustang Forum banner

driving through flood puddles

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  AnthraciteStang 
#1 ·
i recently drove through some flood puddles at high speed shooting water into air
the puddles are so long that the car slows down even when i accelerate
i want to know what can i damage under the hood doing this

so far i had a headlight go out
my evap canister purge system has a malfunction

#2 ·
i recently drove through some flood puddles at high speed shooting water into air the puddles are so long that the car slows down even when i accelerate
i want to know what can i damage under the hood doing this so far i had a headlight go out my evap canister purge system has a malfunction
I think that when you see standing water you should slow down rather than accelerate. The water could cause your tires to lose contact with the road and then you might lose control and crash.

"Hydroplaning means loss of traction and sliding on a film of water. Wet road surfaces can cause tires to hydroplane. This could result in loss of control and steering ability, as your tires may lose contact with the pavement." See: https://driversed.com/resources/terms/hydroplaning.aspx

If the water is deep enough, and especially if you stall while in standing water, you might get water and sand into the transmission and/or differential through a vent tube.

#5 ·
If you have a cold air intake that hangs low enough in the fender well it's possible that it can suck in some water which can cause huge problems. Just had this happen to me recently and I wasn't even driving through puddles, just wet roads in the rain. If your intake sucks in enough water then your engine will hydrolock like MathieuG89 said. Your best bet is to just avoid puddles if at all possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.