Ford Mustang Forum banner

98 v6 brake conversion options

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Dnelli 
#1 ·
I have a 98 v6 with 16'' 5 star 3d wheels that came on the 96 GTs
the 98 v6 front brakes have a single piston

im looking to convert to a double piston that came on the newer mustangs

i want to use my rotors

what year/model mustang calipers can i swap to that would use the stock 98 v6 rotor but have the double piston

#3 ·
Just get 99-04 v6 brakes as they are the same for the gt aswell. And your rotors will not work either, aswell as you will need caliper brackets aswell. It looks like rockauto sells a kit with calipers, brackets and pads for 170 plus a core charge. Also if the pedal does not feel right or the brakes are too touchie then you will have to swap master cylinders since yours is a 1/16th is larger than a new style system. I do not think the lines are different but if they are then you will need all of the front lines and possibly the lines for master cylinder if that has to be replaced. Good luck keep us posted.

#4 ·
ok 99-04 mustang calipers with brackets
if i get the bolts that go with the 99-04 calipers/brackets should that work because i read something about banjo or something bolts needed on certain applications
also i read to upgrade to the cobra master cylinder because the brakes are more heavy duty so the 99-04 master cylynder should be good because thats what came on the car right
brake lines i need the 99-04 brake lines right
99-04 rotors
what if the 99-04 brakes had abs my 98 v6 dont will that be an issue

#5 ·
Rockauto is a great place to get packages. The Cobra brakes will not work unless you upgrade to 17" wheels. Cobra rotors are bigger than V6/GT. Your rotors will work with V6/GT, but the kit price includes rotors. 2000 FORD MUSTANG 4.6L V8 Caliper / Rotor / Brake Pad Kit | RockAuto

I have these brakes on my 94GT, 2000V6 and I'm installing the Cobra rotors and brakes on my wife's 98GT conv. IF you opt to go with 17" wheels and Cobra brakes/rotors, the calipers you get DO NOT say cobra on them, even though they advertise on rockauto as if they did.
Those Z23 pads are awesome. Very low dust, really grab when those brakes get hot. :wink:

#8 ·
What about them? generally, you'd replace the calipers and that is it. You wouldn't replace the bolts (which all get reused, unless the kit you buy has them), Master cylinder wouldn't be replaced unless it was leaking or problematic, and brake lines, I'd imagine would be a pain in the balls to replace, unless they're rotted, they typically wouldn't get replaced....

#9 ·
if you go cobra front, you will need the cobra rubber brake lines. If you are simply upgrading to the 99-2004: rear brakes are the same. not sure about the front rubber brake line. You can compare the part number on rockauto between a 98 and a 99 to see if they are the same. If you are referring to the kit with red calipers, they are simply powder coated red. The calipers themselves are regular calipers. I purchased the kit for my front brakes only, but added the Z23 pads to the rear. If you reuse your rotors, make sure and scuff them up with 100 grit sandpaper so that the new pads will break in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.