Ford Mustang Forum banner

2000 V6 Mustang Auto Transmission problem

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  wmburns 
#1 ·
I swapped the engine (with another V6) now the transmission seems to shift itself into Neutral while driving. The shifter remains in the Drive position. If i start out in "2" and get up to about 40+ and Shift into Drive, Its fine. Until i slow down. I've seen others post about it, But no answer to weather or not they needed a new transmission. Which isn't a problem. I can swap. But if i can avoid or find a fix that would be nice.

I've been told linkage problem, As well as Transmission Range Sensor (otherwise known as Neutral Safety). Would this fix my issue?

Not sure if related or not, But My P, R, N, D, 2, 1 Do not line up with shifter. (Ex: When i put it in reverse, The location is between P and R. Same as Drive, But between D and N.

#3 ·
+1 on above. It is VITAL that the DTR range sensor be aligned correctly with the transmission shifter lever.

If still having problems, tell us about HOW the swap was done. Specifically how much of the new parts were used and how much of the original parts were used. For example, was the original wiring harness retained?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.