Ford Mustang Forum banner

Possible over heating problem

717 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  faadave 
#1 ·
So I previously bought a 2001 mustang V6 manual. I've driven stick so it's a normal thing for me.
I have an ultra gauge plugged into my OBD2 and it reads that my engine temp is 199-217 degrees.
I need help determining if my car is over heating by what my gauge tells me. My instrument cluster says normal at half but my ultra gauge has gone up to 221 degrees max once in traffic. And the thermostat didn't move.
I looked up the radiator draining and filling procedure here and I believe I've gotten all the air out but aren't positive. Now I'm debating on flushing my cooling system adding a flush fluid and run that for a day then flush again and add a new thermostat and new fluids.
PLEASE HELP THIS IS NEW TO ME and to this forum

#2 ·
It is normal operating temperature for your engine to run 190-220. The thermostat does not fully open until 190 and then it throttle based on the liquid temp of the thermostat. The temp sensor in our year model, 01-04, used a cht sensor. If it was overheating your car will go well into the 240+ range.

Ill give you an example, my 93 vette normal operating temp was 220-230. So it will be fine running it the way it is. But in regard to your coolant, has it ever been changed? If not then i would suggest doing it as green coolant only has a life span of 3 years 30,000mi. Imho, i would recommend, if you use a flush agent and get all the green stuff out, to swap out to Fords gold coolant. That coolant uses a 5yr 50,000mi use. However it isnt nessecary and i only suggest it based on i have about 6 jugs of it outside and its free for me to access more of it based on where i work. I believe its $20 for a concentrated version of it, one gallon= 2 which is more than plenty to fill it. Good luck keep us posted.

#3 ·
Yeah I flushed it today and put a Preston radiator flush liquid and I'm only running it 5 miles today then tomorrow going to pick up coolant cause the bottle says to put water in after adding the liquid flush then to run it for a day then flush it again and to add coolant to the system but to also check the Breather valve at the top of the thermostat to make sure there's no air bubbles. Is there a video or a list somewhere that makes it easier to know more about the filling procedure because everywhere I've gone they're all different? Would you recommend changing the thermostat or just leaving the one that's in there already? Thanks for the help btw! I was starting to stress out for a little lol

#4 ·
If you feel like you want to buy the thermostat and gasket and install one then that is up to you. I would say it is operating correctly at this time and i wouldnt mess with it. But for piece of mind for yourself you could. The easiest way to bleed that system, with out an air vac system, is to take the bleeder screw out of the "burp" valve and to fill the empty system back up until it runs out of the valve. Then screw the bleeder in and start it up with the heater on and wait for your engine to get to operating temp and your heater is hot then your system is air free. Good luck.

#5 ·
I noticed RickJC288 is from Chino. If that's Chino Calif, then you may want to drop a 185 in. I've got a 2000 and sitting in traffic on the 100+ degree days, as well as climbing Big Bear mountain, the colder stat gives you a little more breathing room. It won't increase the "hot" side, but it will allow the thermostat to open earlier to start the circulation. 6stang02 is spot on. You probably have no issues, but the 185 works great for me. Don't go any colder cause you computer will treat your motor as "cold" and could screw up your smog test as well as run rich.

#6 ·
Yeah I replaced think thermostat with a 192 from failsafe. I just drive to work and around town but I do have a cabin in big bear and like to run up to baldy so may in time if in notice it getting to hot I'll swap it out but I was reading up on things and so far no mater what, coolant will always heat up unless your constantly driving to cool it and the motor. Just have to make sure the bleeding is done right and no air bubbles. But so far after I swapped to 192 it runs good and cools down better probably cause the ratio is better then before. Where are you from in California? Would be awesome to meet up and have a drive?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.