Ford Mustang Forum banner

Program new keys

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  adammilne 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm trying to see if there's a way to program new keys with a new ignition cylinder myself to my 01 V6 without going to the dealership or calling a locksmith cuz they're just outrageous prices.

#2 ·
it will require this tool(Ford VCM2 Scan Tool - Electronic Testing), a laptop and a subscription to IDS software. it can be done cheeper than an "outragously" priced dealership or locksmith[sarcasm]. if you took it to a dealership they could have gotten a key code for the old cylinder and made 2 keys if you lost them. Or if you think the cylinder failed then they could of rekeyed it to your keys you have now. regardless. a locksmith or dealership is your only way unless you want to pay $1300+ for the tools to do it yourself. good luck.

#4 ·
This post does not indicate how many working chip'ed keys you have. The process is different if you have two vs one working key.

Also, there are TONS of locksmiths out there that have the tools to reprogram PATS as well as re-key locks. The problem for the DIY'er is the need of some $$ tools and parts.

There's the option to get a hand held programmer with a custom tune that has PATS disable.

For a real low tech way, if you have one working key, then you could tape the top of the working key to the bottom of the steering column. Then fix the ignition cylinder lock as a pure mechanical device.

Personally I would call a locksmith (better yet go a brick and mortar location) and let the re-key a new ignition cylinder to match your current keys. It won't be as expensive as going to the dealer but it will be done right.

#5 ·
Don't bother with getting the tools yourself mate. I'm not sure how much the price difference is between the US and UK, but over here locksmiths are pretty darn cheap. I had a few keys programmed for under £100 down the road at islington locksmith, just had to bring them the empty shells! Think most of them stock the hardware these days which is a lot cheaper than dealers. Hope this helps any fellow brits!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.