Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Wheels and Tires

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 04-25-2007   #1 (permalink)
WizKid is offline Rookie

5.0L Member

WizKid's Country Flag
Hamilton Square   New Jersey
WizKid is on a distinguished road
Default Polished Aluminum vs. Chrome Wheels? Which rims are best?

Just looking for some advice...how close in appearance and quality is polished aluminum vs chrome? I looked into getting my old aluminum rims refinished - was told by a local rim shop that the refinishing kits are not being sold anymore to the consumer...something about the substance being toxic. Called a couple places about having them refinished for me - they wanted at least $100 bucks a rim to start - I dont care how much aluminum has gone up since I purchased the rims 15 years ago, I am not paying that much to refinish rims that only cost $25-$30 more apiece when new! haha Anyway...any thoughts on polished aluminum vs chrome? Thanks

And thanks to all those who responded to my original thread about refinishing rims!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2007   #2 (permalink)
rangerout is offline Apprentice

5.0L Member

rangerout's Country Flag  View rangerout's 10 photos
Iowa City   Iowa
rangerout is on a distinguished road

polished aluminum i think suck you will have to polish them every week if there not clear coated. if they are cleared the cleared likes to peal. i would go chrome if you got the funds. just my two cents
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 04-25-2007   #3 (permalink)
MacMustang is offline Apprentice

MacMustang's Country Flag
Ft Drum   New York
MacMustang is on a distinguished road

Not a pro on this topic, but your car will be slower with chrome rims due to the wieght. Have had friends switch rims out thier chrome rims on the track and improve thier times by .3 on the 1/4 just by going back to the stock alum rims. The unsprung wieght may also affect your handling...I'm sure someone out there knows more about this.

Guess it just depends if you want "show or go"

"A lot of people like snow, I find it to be an unnecessary freezing of water"
Unread 04-25-2007   #4 (permalink)
mmb617 is offline Made Member

5.0L Member

mmb617's Country Flag  View mmb617's 19 photos
Altoona   Pennsylvania
mmb617 is on a distinguished road

I used some Mother's aluminum polish on my rims, and they shine just like chrome. It takes a while to do, and you need a lot of elbow grease, but is worth it in the end. Don't know how long the shine would hold up on a daily driver, but on my week-end toy it lasts all season.

We're not the fastest car at the track but we might be having the most fun.

If you're not having fun, then you're taking this stuff too seriously!
Unread 04-26-2007   #5 (permalink)
rangerout is offline Apprentice

5.0L Member

rangerout's Country Flag  View rangerout's 10 photos
Iowa City   Iowa
rangerout is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMustang View Post
Not a pro on this topic, but your car will be slower with chrome rims due to the wieght. Have had friends switch rims out thier chrome rims on the track and improve thier times by .3 on the 1/4 just by going back to the stock alum rims. The unsprung wieght may also affect your handling...I'm sure someone out there knows more about this.

Guess it just depends if you want "show or go"
where they steal OMG . if they where alumiunum there is not that much diffrents in weight i mean inless they where like two inches thicker than stock rims that would be just comin cence on that one.....they have crome aluiunum rims that is what id run and are lighter than stock in most cases.
Unread 04-27-2007   #6 (permalink)
OneBad93 is offline Rookie

5.0L Member

OneBad93's Country Flag  View OneBad93's 6 photos  View OneBad93's HomePage
Hatfield   Pennsylvania
OneBad93 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to OneBad93

Is your car a daily driver, all year?
Take it from me, New Jersey road salt will murder chrome.
If your car is a nice weather / summer car only, then get what you want...then post pics here!
Unread 04-27-2007   #7 (permalink)
WizKid is offline Rookie

5.0L Member

WizKid's Country Flag

I am in NJ so I know all about that road salt haha Anyway, its not a daily driver anymore....only about 1000-1500 miles per year the last few years and certainly not in the winter or bad weather. The aluminum ones I have now lasted quite a long time but they are really starting to peel now, and I seem to like the look of the chrome ones better. Was just wondering if chrome is more durable and easier to keep clean. And when the new rims are added, I will post pics here!

Thanks!
Unread 04-27-2007   #8 (permalink)
OneBad93 is offline Rookie

5.0L Member

OneBad93's Country Flag  View OneBad93's 6 photos  View OneBad93's HomePage
Hatfield   Pennsylvania
OneBad93 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to OneBad93

I never had polished wheels, but I'd guess just mild soap and water while the wheel is COLD is enough, then maybe some kind of polished wheel polish from Meguiars or Mothers every few months. My chrome wheels are from AFS and I use Meguiars car wash soap and AFS recommends glass cleaner for a thorough cleaning...not a fancy chrome polish. Chrome requires plenty of attention because brake dust will cause pitting.
Attached Thumbnails
Polished Aluminum vs. Chrome Wheels? Which rims are best?-carlislerich.jpg  
Unread 05-03-2007   #9 (permalink)
Julian Moore is offline Made Member

5.0L Member

Julian Moore's Country Flag  View Julian Moore's 12 photos
Mamaroneck   New York
Julian Moore is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Julian Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBad93 View Post
I never had polished wheels, but I'd guess just mild soap and water while the wheel is COLD is enough, then maybe some kind of polished wheel polish from Meguiars or Mothers every few months. My chrome wheels are from AFS and I use Meguiars car wash soap and AFS recommends glass cleaner for a thorough cleaning...not a fancy chrome polish. Chrome requires plenty of attention because brake dust will cause pitting.
I follwed this advice from Rich ages ago and my chrome rims look awesome..still!! As you can see by his pic, his car is flawless for a daily driver! Glad to see you made it over buddy!
Jules
Unread 05-04-2007   #10 (permalink)
MCRParts is offline Apprentice

MCRParts's Country Flag  View MCRParts's HomePage
Salem   New Hampshire
MCRParts is on a distinguished road

We run the weld rodlites on our show car.Get the mothers speed ball (mini) and polish to go with it.It will take about 10 min to clean them all up.That speed ball works awesome.

When you wash your car (on the wheels) use liquid dish soap like Dawn.It dosen't contain any wax,so it won't dull the rim,and it's really good at getting the grime off.

Had my rims for 10yrs and tried everything.that speed ball is very good.

Last edited by ScottHalliday; 12-14-2007 at 11:56 AM.
Unread 05-07-2007   #11 (permalink)
countymounty is offline Top Dog

Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

countymounty's Country Flag  View countymounty's 38 photos
Midwest   Missouri
countymounty is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to countymounty

You have two choices chrome or chrome

Unless you have loads of time to waste and just love polishing!

"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe. -Jesus

-1988 Ford Mustang GT Convertible, 331 Trick Flow Stroker with a Tremec 3550....oh yea and a 1.6 liter V-TECH motor to work the convertible top.
Unread 05-10-2007   #12 (permalink)
jtaron is offline Apprentice

5.0L Member

jtaron's Country Flag
Southern   California
jtaron is on a distinguished road

It all depends on the look you desire. Chrome is always really flashy... so if you think your mustang should look (or try to look) flashy, then chrome is the way to go.

Polished aluminum is just a hair darker (even when polished up) and has a little more reserved look. Not quite as flashy and (I think) it looks a little more classic - in a muscle car sort of way.

Both look great when they match the look of the car and the effect you want.

I run with Torq-thrust 2's with polished aluminum and I couldn't imagine a better rim for my car. Polished is always a bit cheaper than chrome too - but since when did anybody ever pick "cheaper" over "better looking?"

My two cents... find the rims you want and buy them new - forget refinishing.
95 GT, 347ci, E303, stock intake, stock heads, Fluidyne radiator, SCT Eliminator chip w/ custom burn, Steeda suspension, 3-Chamber Flowmasters, Eibach springs, Illumina shocks, Tri-ax shifter, HD T-5 rebuild, 3.55 FRPP rear gear, Torq-Thrust II's [17x9.5(f) - 17x11(r)]
Unread 05-10-2007   #13 (permalink)
WizKid is offline Rookie

5.0L Member

WizKid's Country Flag

Thanks for the input jt I have had aluminum for years now and they lasted pretty long (at least, I would think so) but the chrome seems to be appealing to me now and the price difference isnt some astronomical amount. And you are right...forget refinishing! The price quotes I got were almost 75% the cost of new rims and they acted like they were doing me some great favor! I am just about ready to get new rims and unless I find some crazy deal on anything else, chrome seems to be the choice!
Unread 06-03-2013   #14 (permalink)
joe13 is offline Rookie

joe13's Country Flag
canada   Alabama
joe13 is on a distinguished road

It's possible to buy some fancy stuff in vancouver rims. · They will make calibrations on the impact of the 4WD performance. The performance can be improved and more power can be sent to each wheel during the upgrade. You will have a more powerful car with cooler tires. their website:

http://coast2coastwheels.ca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162