Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Wheels and Tires

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 05-17-2007   #1 (permalink)
beyo.gt1 is offline Rookie

S197 Member

beyo.gt1's Country Flag
Baton Rouge   Louisiana
beyo.gt1 is on a distinguished road
Default Tire pressure monitor problems for 2007 Mustang GT

Does anyone know how to go about programming the computer so the tire pressure monitor light goes off on the dash? After changing the wheels and tires the light came on. The place that changed them didn't realize that the wheels had monitors in them neither did I.I was just about to get all the wheels dismounted and put the monitors in the new wheels and tires.The problem I have is that I read in a magazine that even when you rotate your tires the light will be a problem because of a preset distance from monitor to computer.So I was trying to wait and see if there is anything that can be done about this by some sort of programming.I believe it's a new feature for 2007 mustangs.I may be wrong but at any rate hopefully someone knows of a permenant fix to this problem.Any help greatly appreciated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2007   #2 (permalink)
07cali-special is offline Apprentice

07cali-special's Country Flag  View 07cali-special's HomePage
Conyers   Georgia
07cali-special is on a distinguished road

i'm having the same issue, had the new tires and wheels installed aobut a month ago

i called my tire shop and they are ordering me new sensors, don't know if that will help or not
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 05-17-2007   #3 (permalink)

S197 Member

beyo.gt1's Country Flag
Baton Rouge   Louisiana

I don't think you have to order new sensors. I recently ordered new straps (it's like oversized hose clamps that hold the sensors in place). Sensors aren't the problem. Discount Tires told me to remount them with the new straps. I read online or magazine that you will have a constant problem with the monitors because of preset distance between monitors and the computer. So even rotating the tires when supposed to will set off the dash light. One guy in Texas at a Ford house told me that they could rewire the relays on the computer so the computer would relay to itself not to the monitors. But I am not sure what that would do to factory warranty. I am weary of doing this because the computer is so touchy and not sure what it would do to the car overall.
Unread 05-17-2007   #4 (permalink)
MakeMyStang is offline Senior Member

S197 Member

MakeMyStang's Country Flag  View MakeMyStang's 77 photos  View MakeMyStang's HomePage
Tampa Bay   Florida
MakeMyStang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyo.gt1 View Post
Does anyone know how to go about programming the computer so the tire pressure monitor light goes off on the dash? After changing the wheels and tires the light came on. The place that changed them didn't realize that the wheels had monitors in them neither did I.I was just about to get all the wheels dismounted and put the monitors in the new wheels and tires.The problem I have is that I read in a magazine that even when you rotate your tires the light will be a problem because of a preset distance from monitor to computer.So I was trying to wait and see if there is anything that can be done about this by some sort of programming.I believe it's a new feature for 2007 mustangs.I may be wrong but at any rate hopefully someone knows of a permenant fix to this problem.Any help greatly appreciated.
The 07's are required to have them. I have them in my 07 pony and 07 Chevy. The manual (on my Chevy) instructs you on the reset, but not to disconnect them. Also from what I read, that the tire dealers are suppose to install the sensors on new wheels, (of course at a cost) like 100.00 per tire.
06 Pontiac Solstice Vert 5 sp - White His Roadster
07 Mustang GT Vert, 5 sp - Redfire His Toy
09 Hyundai Santa Fe - White Metallic (Her Daily)
11 Chevy Silverado 5.3L ExtCab-Light Gray (His)
Unread 05-17-2007   #5 (permalink)

Conyers   Georgia

yeah kind of a dumb move on ford's part to make the tire sensor sytems so primitive. all of the other ones i've dealt with measure the size of the tire so when it deflates and the tire gets smaller, then the sensor goes off

it seems pretty difficult to change tires on the 07 gts, its gonna be tough trying to get rid of this light
Unread 05-17-2007   #6 (permalink)

S197 Member

beyo.gt1's Country Flag
Baton Rouge   Louisiana

Yes in my magazines it says that all passenger car will have to have the monitors in the future like by 2008 or 2009.It just sucks to have a new car with a dash light on already.
Unread 05-17-2007   #7 (permalink)

S197 Member

beyo.gt1's Country Flag
Baton Rouge   Louisiana

I'm worried that even if I change the bands in the tires being the original tires are one pressure and the after market tire are set at another will the light still go off regardless?
Unread 05-17-2007   #8 (permalink)
jgard07 is offline Made Member

S197 Member

jgard07's Country Flag  View jgard07's 15 photos
Eastern   Pennsylvania
jgard07 is on a distinguished road

The sensors don't read pressure, just wheel rpm.
Unread 05-18-2007   #9 (permalink)

Conyers   Georgia

this is not very well thought-out. i mean its a mustang, not many people are going to be keeping the stock wheels and tires!

anyways, if anyone figures out a good solution, please post
Unread 05-19-2007   #10 (permalink)
MakeMyStang is offline Senior Member

S197 Member

MakeMyStang's Country Flag  View MakeMyStang's 77 photos  View MakeMyStang's HomePage
Tampa Bay   Florida
MakeMyStang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07cali-special View Post
this is not very well thought-out. i mean its a mustang, not many people are going to be keeping the stock wheels and tires!

anyways, if anyone figures out a good solution, please post
I am also thinking, that a lot of 4x4 off road warriors lower tire pressure for better tire flex and traction, and so does plp during heavly snow covered roads. This will be a pain for them.
06 Pontiac Solstice Vert 5 sp - White His Roadster
07 Mustang GT Vert, 5 sp - Redfire His Toy
09 Hyundai Santa Fe - White Metallic (Her Daily)
11 Chevy Silverado 5.3L ExtCab-Light Gray (His)
Unread 05-25-2007   #11 (permalink)

Conyers   Georgia

ok well after about 4 hours of driving back and forth from dealerships to tire shops i am thoroughly frustrated.

i went to a nice, well known tire shop and they said they could fix the problem and order a new sensor set for around 150. then they told me the sensors actually wouldn't fit the wheels that i have so they would have to band it(?). this "banding" somehow brought the price up from 150-400 and he said around 400-600 for labor!
thats ridiculous

so finally i took it to a dealership, they turned off the light and i don't have sensors or a light, i can live with that. cost me $0.00

there's one solution...
Unread 05-25-2007   #12 (permalink)
stlwagon is offline MODERATOR

Classic Member
S197 Member

stlwagon's Country Flag  View stlwagon's 60 photos  View stlwagon's 2 classified ads
Southern   Maryland
stlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud ofstlwagon has much to be proud of
Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon

Quote:
ok well after about 4 hours of driving back and forth from dealerships to tire shops i am thoroughly frustrated.

i went to a nice, well known tire shop and they said they could fix the problem and order a new sensor set for around 150. then they told me the sensors actually wouldn't fit the wheels that i have so they would have to band it(?). this "banding" somehow brought the price up from 150-400 and he said around 400-600 for labor!
thats ridiculous

so finally i took it to a dealership, they turned off the light and i don't have sensors or a light, i can live with that. cost me $0.00

there's one solution...
Too bad it had to come to that... But at least the light is off.
Unread 05-31-2007   #13 (permalink)
TheBemmer is offline Rookie

5.0L Member
S197 Member

TheBemmer's Country Flag
Aberdeen   Maryland
TheBemmer is on a distinguished road
Default tire pressure monitors

I have a 2007 Mustang CT/CS and the only time I had the low pressure tire moniitor come on was when the outside temp. lowered in the winter time I checked the tire pressure in tires was around 28 psi. Once filled and rechecked all ok again. Since then I have rotated the tires with no problems at all with the tire monitor system.
Unread 05-31-2007   #14 (permalink)
jgard07 is offline Made Member

S197 Member

jgard07's Country Flag  View jgard07's 15 photos
Eastern   Pennsylvania
jgard07 is on a distinguished road

When I got my 07 GT, the light came on every time I started it. Took it to the dealer. Turned out 3 of 4 wheels had no sensors. They installed them under warranty and haven't had a problem since.
Unread 05-31-2007   #15 (permalink)
Stoenr is offline SHELBY GT 350 Member

S197 Member

Stoenr's Country Flag  View Stoenr's 33 photos  View Stoenr's 2 classified ads  View Stoenr's HomePage
Oak Forest   Illinois
Stoenr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Stoenr Send a message via AIM to Stoenr Send a message via Yahoo to Stoenr

Quote:
I'll look tomorrow when I'm at work and find out more details on the reprogramming of them.
But when rotating they should not need to be reprogrammed. The system in the Mustang does not decipher wheel positions.

Quote:
i'm having the same issue, had the new tires and wheels installed aobut a month ago

i called my tire shop and they are ordering me new sensors, don't know if that will help or not
Unless they broke a sensor, its not going to help. Did they reinstall them with new straps?

Quote:
yeah kind of a dumb move on ford's part to make the tire sensor sytems so primitive. all of the other ones i've dealt with measure the size of the tire so when it deflates and the tire gets smaller, then the sensor goes off

it seems pretty difficult to change tires on the 07 gts, its gonna be tough trying to get rid of this light
Actually they're not that primitive. The other ones you've dealt with are the most primitive. Those are called indirect TPMS and work off the abs system.

Quote:
I'm worried that even if I change the bands in the tires being the original tires are one pressure and the after market tire are set at another will the light still go off regardless?
Most likely your new tires will require a higher pressure, assuming they are lower profile. The factory setting will trigger the light on at a 25% loss of air from 32 psi. This can be reprogrammed at the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgard07 View Post
The sensors don't read pressure, just wheel rpm.
100% incorrect.

Quote:

thats ridiculous

there's one solution...
They should have used the old sensors and purchased the aftermarket bands for them. Much cheaper and easier.

I highly doubt they turned off the light, thats against federal regulations. Maybe they actually corrected the problem?

Its ok to remove the sensors, but to disable the light is where it breaks the law, and I cant see a dealer doing something like that. Pretty much the same thing as them removing your converters.
Xcal2, JLTII, UDP, ProKit, Dspecs, Bump Steer kit, SS brake hoses, Strut Tower Brace, UCA, Adj.LCA's, AntiSquats, Panhard bar, MGW shifter, Steeda cowl hood, Hood pins, MRT hood struts*, 14" Antenna, Sequencial TL's, 07 Plenum cover, PJ Saleen heritage fascia, CDC ductail, SSE 1/4 window louvers, MAG mirror inserts, Rear trunk painted, MGW window switch plates, Billet door lock pins, Interior trunk release, Tint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162