Ford Mustang Forum banner

2007 Mustang GT500 Clutch Failure

26K views 43 replies 29 participants last post by  cyberdemonbfg 
#1 ·
The Clutch on my 2007 GT 500 failed after only 17,000 miles. It will cost $2,400 to fix it. ( the Ford 2208 perf. parts catalog shows the price at $1,999)

Havew others experianced early failure of the clutch.

Thanks

#34 ·
I had the work done in November 2009. The dealer refused to honor the TSB until they had it apart. After it was apart and they said it wasn't covered and they charged me for the inspection. Once the work was done I had to pay over $3,200 for the fixed clutch.

The SVT engineer I spoke with said it wasn't abusing the clutches that damaged them, it was regular driving that causes them to overheat.

I won't EVER buy another extended warranty from Ford, if they won't fix obvious engineering problems. My vehicle was under original warranty at the time.

The first time I spoke with the national Ford warranty center, the representative led me to believe an accomodation would be made. But first, I had to have a dealer check it out.

My advice, if you have the clutch problem go to an independent repair shop and have a BETTER after-market clutch put in. The Shelby mod shop in Dallas said there are numerous after-market clutches that will work better.

#36 ·
2009 gt500

I was in the dealership a few weeks ago and I was told Ford figured out why the GT500 is having all it's clutch problems. The tech told me Ford placed the regular GT clutch parts in the GT500 which they now realize were too small for the horsepower. I'm picking up my car today with a brand new clutch at no charge. I believe it's a waranty repair.

#37 ·
I had my clutch replace 6 months ago and the dealer of my said it was cover under Ford . Thy install a new 2010 GT500 unit. It was about $ 2400 total and Ford pick it up. Some dealers just don't want to replace it before it goes out. Miles on the clutch going out is between 25 to 25,000 miles. Ford just didn't install right in the first place.

#40 ·
Hopefully this will clear up some misunderstandings. 2007 through 2009 used basically the same type clutch material (ceramic). The TSB that came out in late 2007 was for a potentially warping flywheels due to heat build up. They changed the flywheel design and metalergy. This TSB was altered slight over the model years leading up to 2010. If you had the TSB done, then you got the up-dated flywheel and a up-dated input shaft from the transmission, but many owners complained about the shudder felt when taking off in first gear. This shudder is normal for the 2007 through 2009 cars with or without the TSB being done. Its the nature of the clutch material used. Now... In the 2010, Ford changed the whole clutch system in the car and there is no more first gear take-off shudder, and the clutch feel and pedal pressure is greatly improved. I understand that it is now Ford's policy that if a TSB is done on a 2007 through 2009, they will use the system from the 2010/2011 clutch. As far as getting clutches replaced on 2007 thru 2009 MY's ( under the TSB) that are out of warranty as most have said, its a dealer call and some will do it and some won't. I had an 07 and had the TSB done before I had any failure but I still had the ocassional first gear take-off shudder that plagued all the 2007 thru 2009 old style clutch material systems (ceramic vs. organic). My 2011 clutch has no shudder, is smooth and perfect. Hope this helps you all.

#41 ·
I had the same issue with my GT500 vert. Took it to the Ford Dealer where I bought it used with 6k miles on her, after 14K miles the clutch chattered (still worked just noisy) After reading GT500girl's post, I mentioned the STB's which they said they were aware of and replaced my clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder, 2nd syncromesh gear and new fluids all under warranty. Thanks GT500girl and every one else who put post on this site... It saved me 5,567.00 buck :kooky:

#43 ·
i had my clutch go out at 28000 miles. flywheel too. $3100. to repair. Whined to ford to no avail. Guess my next truck will be a toyota. Love the car though. Never got on it from a standstill. Tickled it a little in 2nd. been driving manuels since 16, now 53. Never an issue till this one.

#44 ·
Mine is in the shop now getting it done.Ford is taking care of it.Mine is not the first one they have done.( car has 12,800 miles,build date 10/08).Tsb is in 4th revision,10-3-8(going back to Feb,2010).Hopefully will get it back this week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.