Intros? '90 LX Turbo - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Intros? '90 LX Turbo

Hey guys, looks like I joined up just in time to kick off the off topic section. My name is Alex, and I've got a Project. Some of you may know me or have heard of me. You've been warned, everything they said is true!

Here's the turd I started with

There were a few setbacks...including getting hit and the hood folding itself over the roof.
[imghttp://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g215/The_Ripper_photos/Mustang/F1478DF7-3ED1-4878-99EF-BA825B6B83CF-4232-00000216A02D1CDC_zpscb86fc46.jpg[/img]

But now...

She's starting to pull together nicely...

Plenty more to share, and have a TON more to do. I still have a brand new motor to build to complete just STAGE ONE of this project, next motor will be a little more...extreme.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em! Any questions?

Last edited by slorydn1; 01-05-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014
Boss Member
2.3L Member

Welcome to the forum. I just found this place also. Usually is the 2.3 talk. I will have keep this area looked at. Keep working. Mine started out as a 200 body no motor, trans out of j-yard. So keep working. Maurice
Just notice hole in floorboard. Wish was closer could have floorboard from my 93 clunker.
[Clunker is a 93 vert with 3.2 SHO motor. Found better body]

1989 Mustang 2.3 turbo, rebuilt SVO motor, 88 computer,vam upgrade, adjustable boost control, intercooler, c-4 trans, 7.5 345 turbocoupe rearend, motorsport driveshaft, Black interior.
http://s177.photobucket.com/user/mgman75/library/?sort=6&page=1

AFM FORUM MODERATOR
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Floorboard is fixed. That was one hell of a pain in the butt job. I'd rather blow 3 head gaskets in a row than deal with that again! I've done 99% of this car myself, including what little body and paint that has been done. I prefer the mechanical stuff myself. Started out stock and have come this far, and am planning a teardown to start a much more radical setup...Let's just say I have a set of 80# injectors on the desk next to me and I fully intend to max them out just in stage 1 of this build

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014
Boss Member
2.3L Member

Well if going 80 need to seriously if not have to think of a standalone. Megasquirt or stinger has the pimp. me I am stock so can't offer much advice on that. On thing to be away of is the 2.3 turbo uses low impedence injectors using high one's will take out drivers in the computers. Maurice

1989 Mustang 2.3 turbo, rebuilt SVO motor, 88 computer,vam upgrade, adjustable boost control, intercooler, c-4 trans, 7.5 345 turbocoupe rearend, motorsport driveshaft, Black interior.

AFM FORUM MODERATOR
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Here's the image that got broken in the original post--can't seem to be able to edit it.

"There were a few setbacks...including getting hit and the hood folding itself over the roof."

Injectors are high impedance. The car will be running a Megasquirt, so that'll be fine. Plan is to put together a boost ready motor out of a '98-'01 Ranger 2.5 block--no aux shaft failures, no dizzy. Will be running a crank trigger/ LS2 coil setup on it.

Let me know if you'd be interested in some modifications. I've always got something up my sleeve or on my shelf!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014
Boss Member
2.3L Member

Ouch on the wreck. Hopefully someone else fault so you can get pd to fix.
I'll be keeping a eye on the project. You can teach me on megasquirt.
Modifications. I guess I do too much. Approx 99 seats in mine. Including the rear with armrest to fill in the space. Courgar sunvisors. Moved the radio with filler panel I made.
And this don't include the 93 vert putting a 3.2 SHO in. Maurice

AFM FORUM MODERATOR
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Other person was at fault. I took care of all the work myself--body and paint. Mod money in my pocket!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014
Boss Member
2.3L Member

I hear you. 25 years ago or so.a huge tree limb fell on my 74 MG Midget. That insurance paid down payment on house. Had it fixed in less than a month. New top, used top frame and used windshield frame and side window. Used parts given to me. Maurice
Now know why mgman75. Present one is 75. The 74 is waiting. [another accident got rearend. Insurance pd on that one also.]

AFM FORUM MODERATOR
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014
PONY Member
2.3L Member

I love when a 302 isn't swapped in. I have so many ideas for the 140, the blocks are so cheap, I could have a motor for everyday of the week. curently I have an offy 4bbl intake needing a 390 carb to go on mine. I want to figure out how to build a shakerhood for it.

The 2.3 is a missunderstood under appeciated engine. Despite being used in race cars. honestly the benefit from using it isn't even weight savings, they are about ten pounds shy of a 302. They are however are more stout. They are like half of a 460. I wish they would build a steel block. once I get all the build ideas finished, I'll refer here for improvements and advice. not this thread- this 2.3 section.

I was taliing to racer walsh and with the proper parts, you could build a three liter. He said I keeping my current engine naturally aspirated, could build a 2.7 stroker. my block only has a little over 14k in mileage, so it caj be modded. I believe, done right, the dual plug head is an untapped turbo monster.

Roxanne: A foxy 1981 2.3 hatch aka Project: Boss 140
Jax Lazzo Rhapsody, his life as a...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Agree about the dual plug heads. Know a guy running one making very good power with nominal portwork, and he's been able to run 30psi through it with no detonation (which he's been attributing to the extra bank of plugs). Extra wiring and all is a hassle, however, and you can't run it with the factory ECU. The extra cost of buying a MegaSquirt standalone ECU right off the bat seems to scare many people away. Has potential for sure, and I'll likely try my hand at a high effort dual plug build in a separate car someday, but not sure if it's worth the extra expense and hassle.

Yes, you can build a 3L with the aftermarket or tall deck block. About the most you can go with the stock block is a 2.7-2.8L. Brian over at Esslinger would be able to help you there if you're serious about doing it and have the money to back it up. There are a few people running stroker turbo motors. Very nasty little things. IMO if you want to make power and you're not being limited by any kind of rules, stay far away from an N/A 4banger. Boost it or run far away.

P.S. For anyone wondering where I've been...had my hands a little tied up with problems in personal life and this hunk of crap...1978 Ford Ranchero

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page