89 3G alt swap and some other electrical mods - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

89 3G alt swap and some other electrical mods

Here are a few pictures showing my 3G swap, mega fuse, ground, and positive mods.

The mega fuse is mounted with a plate onto the alt/power steering bracket. This was a compromise, I had wanted to put it on the strut tower but I already have too much stuff there. After mounting it, I see that I am going to need to do a bit of grinding on the plate. I didn't want to use a plate, but the bracket is just about a half inch too narrow for this fuse housing to bolt onto.

I wanted to add a better ground, so I took a 3/8ths (I think) bolt and ran it through an existing hole on the strut tower. I used external tooth washers on both sides along with sanding down to bare metal. The bolt is attached with a nut, and then I put the ground cables on it with another bolt. So the battery ground cable now goes here, and another cable (both 1 gauge) goes from here to the original ground point on the engine.

Using the 1 gauge cables proved to be too much for the starter solenoid ( too thick to fit everything on the bolt ), so I used a junction block I had laying around left over from my Ranchero and mounted it to the strut tower. The alternator charging cable (only 2 gauge( I had a couple brand new 2 gauge cables laying around) ) from the mega fuse goes here, as does the battery positive cable. I also have most of the harness positive that used to go to the solenoid here as well.
This will also serve as a convenient positive source when I add relays for the fan and headlights, and any stereo stuff later on. Can also use this as a good jump start point away from the battery.
Then I ran another 2 gauge (for now, will upgrade to 1 gauge when I get some more cash) to the solenoid. The solenoid to starter cable is the only one I have yet to replace. That will also be a 1 gauge.
The one gauge cables are from Tractor Supply, and they are not much more cash than the 2 gauge from places like Autozone. I like overkill on electrical stuff.

Thanks,
Russ

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	89 Mustang alternator March 12 2016 2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	505993   Click image for larger version

Name:	89 Mustang alternator March 12 2016 3.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	506001   Click image for larger version

Name:	89 Mustang alternator March 12 2016 7.jpg
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	506009   Click image for larger version

Name:	89 Mustang alternator March 12 2016 8.jpg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	506017   Click image for larger version

Name:	89 Mustang alternator March 12 2016 9.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	506025  

1979 Pinto hatchback. Fully caged.
1972 Ranchero 351C and C4 on hold
1974 Pinto wagon project on hold
Glendale Arizona
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016
Boss Member
2.3L Member

Thanks Maurice
Also added this info to the sticky in tech under the 3G section.

1989 Mustang 2.3 turbo, rebuilt SVO motor, 88 computer,vam upgrade, adjustable boost control, intercooler, c-4 trans, 7.5 345 turbocoupe rearend, motorsport driveshaft, Black interior.
http://s177.photobucket.com/user/mgman75/library/?sort=6&page=1

AFM FORUM MODERATOR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page