Cranking and turning but not starting - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to lederhosen7 Send a message via MSN to lederhosen7
Cranking and turning but not starting

Hey Guys.

So over the last two months I would say about 6 times, I have gotten a crank but no start on the first turn, then it would start right up. Then as of about a week ago I noticed my rpm gauge would flicker while driving every so often. Then about two days ago, it along with the battery gauge would flicker together intermittently while on the road. Then all of of sudden this morning, it's cranking and turning, but just won't catch.

So I'm not sure if I'm using the term turning correctly, but to be more precise, right after the crank, it turns over/ an initial start, then it dies. And then crank is only a split second.

Twice it has died while driving over the last three months while coming out of 1st gear into neutral coming to a stop, but it started right back up. I also notice when I am in 1st gear and I go into neutral, when I come off the gas my rpms would drop down to about 600, and kick right back up to normal around 850. This has been happening for about 6 months or so. But strange thing is, it would only do this about 50% of the time.

One other thing. Before today, when I would turn the key to the on position, my fan, battery and fuel pump would all engage. Now, these only engage when I actually turn the key just before it cranks.

Things I've replaced over the last six months:
Ignition Module - tested it today just to make sure and it was good.
Alternator - tested at Autozone while it was running.
Battery
Coil
Solenoid
Fuel Pump
Fuel Filter
Plugs and Wires
Timing - about a year ago.

87 2.3L Non Turbo
5 Speed Manual

Would appreciate any insight.
LH

Last edited by lederhosen7; 06-02-2018 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Added car info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lederhosen7 View Post
Hey Guys.

So over the last two months I would say about 6 times, I have gotten a crank but no start on the first turn, then it would start right up. Then as of about a week ago I noticed my rpm gauge would flicker while driving every so often. Then about two days ago, it along with the battery gauge would flicker together intermittently while on the road. Then all of of sudden this morning, it's cranking and turning, but just won't catch.

So I'm not sure if I'm using the term turning correctly, but to be more precise, right after the crank, it turns over/ an initial start, then it dies. And then crank is only a split second.

Twice it has died while driving over the last three months while coming out of 1st gear into neutral coming to a stop, but it started right back up. I also notice when I am in 1st gear and I go into neutral, when I come off the gas my rpms would drop down to about 600, and kick right back up to normal around 850. This has been happening for about 6 months or so. But strange thing is, it would only do this about 50% of the time.

One other thing. Before today, when I would turn the key to the on position, my fan, battery and fuel pump would all engage. Now, these only engage when I actually turn the key just before it cranks.

Things I've replaced over the last six months:
Ignition Module - tested it today just to make sure and it was good.
Alternator - tested at Autozone while it was running.
Battery
Coil
Solenoid
Fuel Pump
Fuel Filter
Plugs and Wires
Timing - about a year ago.

87 2.3L Non Turbo
5 Speed Manual

Would appreciate any insight.
LH
Well crap you have replaced everything I would start with so that makes it hard for sure. When was the last time you tested the alternator and battery and how new are they both? If something is draining on the battery it can make it go bad pretty quick and also alternators are sometimes faulty so that is why I ask.

So you hear fuel pump kick on still while your trying to start it right? The no start on fist turn and dying randomly point me to a fuel pressure issue. Could also be a alt/bat power issues as well, but I would lean more towards lack of fuel.

Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9.)
2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT (I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018
Global Moderator
Mustang II Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to heavy metal
Sounds like it could be a faulty ignition switch.

Cherish those around you,for at the blink
of an eye,they can be gone.

AFM GLOBAL MODERATOR

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018
GT Member
2.3L Member

Garage
Iím going to agree on either the ignition switch or the pickup sensor in the dizzy.. when mine went bad it started like this and then the car just didnít start.. it also caused my brand new ignition module to go bad..

1990 2.3L N/A LX Hatchback Mustang
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Appreciate you all steppin in. MustangLife I think I'll head back down and have the Alternator tested again, but this time I will take it of the car and have them test it on their machine.

heavy metal & Stustu07, the Ignition Switch is what I initially thought as well. But would the switch be causing my battery and rpm gauge to be sputtering while driving though?

Last edited by lederhosen7; 06-03-2018 at 02:24 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018
Global Moderator
Mustang II Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to heavy metal
Quote:
Appreciate you all steppin in. MustangLife I think I'll head back down and have the Alternator tested again, but this time I will take it of the car and have them test it on their machine.

heavy metal & Stustu07, the Ignition Switch is what I initially thought as well. But would the switch be causing my battery and rpm gauge to be sputtering while driving though?
Yes it could cause that.

Cherish those around you,for at the blink
of an eye,they can be gone.

AFM GLOBAL MODERATOR
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018
GT Member
2.3L Member

Garage
Quote:

The PIP sensor in the dizzy can also cause your gauges to go hay wire and do you have the old ignition module still?

1990 2.3L N/A LX Hatchback Mustang
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Turns out it was the ignition switch. I went ahead and bought one right after you both posted, but of course the socket size needed was not in my set. Why the bloody hell do they even use these types of screws??? So I had to tow it to the shop, and they confirmed it.

Much appreciate Gents. Cheers to you both. :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in