Fuel System Treatments? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to lederhosen7 Send a message via MSN to lederhosen7
Thumbs up Fuel System Treatments?

Greetings Gents.

Been running a little rough at idle off and on the last few months, so I figured I would run a fuel treatment in to see it makes a difference. My rpms drop to down to around 500 for about 2 seconds, then kick back up to about 1100, then settle at 900 where it should be. Doesn't happen every time I'm at idle though. This happens either at start-up, or when I'm on the road and come to a stop. But there are days that it idles right at 850 to 900 at startup and throughout my drive without dropping.

Every electrical part under the hood has been replaced in the last year except the Distributor. Also, the Fuel Pump, Filter and the Timing have been changed.

Do you all have any specific treatments you tried and noticed a difference that you can shoot my way?

LH :

87' 2.3L
5 Speed Manual

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018
BOSS Member

Being in SoCal I/we deal with different blends of fuel all year round..... like now, we have been running the "winter blend" for several weeks...the temp was still in the 80's, none of our cars liked it....the older the worst it was... and the variable idle speed is common with this as if it detects a miss it will then raise the idle so it will not stall...… what I do after all these years is to add acetone to the fuel.... my base add is 1 ounce per gallon..... it won't hurt any of the sensors/cats/etc, and it works......it will also clean the fuel pump/sending unit if it gets contaminated with fuel that has high sulphur levels (as to replacing the pump as the oe's recommend)….. with the latest round I had to jump up to 2 ounces per gallon to eliminate the issue but all is well......and like I said, we deal with this all the time.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018
PONY Member

There are a couple of things that you can do to stabilize your idle, that come to mind.

Removing and cleaning the throttle body would be at the top of my list of things to do, along with clearing the ports for the idle air control valve as well. After those parts have been thoroughly cleaned, it would be a good idea to re-adjust the base idle speed: I set mine at 750 RPM with the idle control valve plug disconnected. When your car is warmed, you should be able to unplug the Idle control valve and your engine should stay close to 700-750 RPM. If not, adjust the idle stop screw.

The PCV valve can also contribute to a wavering idle speed if it's worn out. If you haven't done so already, increasing the base spark advance on your car, will make a substantial difference in both power and idle stability; I would suggest 16-18 degree of initial advance; (set with the spout connector unplugged.)

Double check vacuum lines, it is easy to miss one. Some mechanics like to use smoke detection, but a good end to end visual check will usually do.

Let us know what you find.

89' Mustang convertible, high compression N/A 2.3.

85' SVO under s l o w deconstruction.

93' hatch currently under development

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018
Rookie

I have an 87 GN that unfortunately sits more than it gets driven so once a year I will go to Home Depot and get a gallon of Xylene (in the paint section) and drive it to the gas station as close to E as I can. Have you a long funnel handy and put the whole can of Xylene in the tank followed by 3 gallons of premium fuel. It will clean everything from the tank to the injectors and even the valves incredibly well...it also changes the effective octane rating to about 110 in this mixture. Drive to empty, more than a few WOT passes....refuel and add some marvel mystery oil to the tank to re-lube things.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018
Apprentice

I had some experience with Xylene. I spent most of my life in north central Ohio and always had a winter car. In 1978 I had a late model Corvette and a 66 Rambler I used for the winter. We got the mother of all blizzards that winter and were stranded in the plant for 3 days. Some co-workers with 4 wheel drives drug our cars into the plant to thaw out. When I went back to get the old Rambler it rattled like mad and quit running. I had it towed and ended up putting in another motor. A couple months later a colleague told me, proudly, that he had got my car started by pouring Xylene in the carburetor. I guess the old gal couldn’t stand the prosperity of having a taste of “high octane” fuel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in