New guy...swapping 2.3t into buggy - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

New guy...swapping 2.3t into buggy

Howdy guys,

So I know how it goes, new guys comes in and asks a common question. Guess I'll be that guy for a minute.

So here's the situation, never been a Mustang owner, always had Ford trucks. I've had my VW buggy for about 13 years and finally decided to scout out and install my dream motor into it.

Found a 2.3t in a 88 Ranger which was in a salvage yard. The yards owner had owned it and did the original swap. He "claims" that it was from a 87 TC. Nonetheless, I take any given info lightly for now. Automatically I see there's no intercooler and the typical valve cover for said TC isn't there. Not the end of the world, it was probably a result of the swap. It also came with a complete parts motor with correct valve cover.

Before getting the truck home I made sure it spun, it did. Looks to be very complete. He said it ran before being parked due to cracked aluminum oil pan.

My plan; to get the motor out and onto a stand, then go through everything down to taking off heads, and replace anything that I see fit before throwing it into the car for mockup and to get running.

Why I'm here; what's some things to look out for that are SVO specific? Could I verify a VIN on the block to verify build/turbo? I understand that this MAY not be the best place to ask, but hey why not right?

Hopefully the uploaded pictures show up. I had already taken out the radiator and part of turbo at that particular point.

Thanks in advance everyone!!

Richie

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190706_172032_1562474856482.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	366.3 KB
ID:	610529   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190706_172038_1562475428512.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	897.9 KB
ID:	610531  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019
PONY Member
2.3L Member

Cool

Wow, 3 weeks and no replies! Well, if you're still around the valve cover in the first pic is a TC cover. The crossover pipe from the turbo to throttle body is probably Merkur XR4ti. Hard to tell without a better photo but that may be the more desirable T3 turbo which came on earlier TC's, Merkurs and SVO's. Cracked heads are pretty common on these motors as are cracked E6 exhaust manifolds. I would have the head magged for cracks and the E6 tends to crack at the #3 runner. These motors were 200hp from the factory. Junkyard parts can get you close to 300hp. Check out Turboford.org. That's where you should be.

'93 5.0 LX ragtop - Donor car for '54 Ford Customline
'89 LX ragtop with turbo'd TC motor - Thunderstang!
'86 Turbo Coupe (daily driver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page