Convertible tops... Cloth vs Vinyl - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie

Convertible tops... Cloth vs Vinyl

The cloth top is an option. Why would it be offered? Is there some advantage of cloth over vinyl? I would like to hear some opinions. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron1951 View Post
The cloth top is an option. Why would it be offered? Is there some advantage of cloth over vinyl? I would like to hear some opinions. Thanks.
I don't know about durability or sound proofing but it looks "nicer". It isn't an option that I'd pay for...

2007 GT, 5 speed, Paxton 2200
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008
MACH I Member

Garage
I think it does sound proof a little better. I have the black vinyl on mine and was thinking of getting the black cloth, till I saw it in person. To black for the color of the car (Vista Blue), it contrasts to much IMO. What I found was treating the vinyl top with some Vert Conditioner, like Zaino Perfect Tire Gloss. It made the top look brand new, getting rid of the weathered look.

IF MY CAR WENT AS FAST AS THE MONEY I SPEND ON IT, I'D WIN EVERY RACE

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008
PONY Member
S197 Member

I went with the vinyl. The cloth does look nicer new but I don't know how good it will look in a few years. I tend to agree with GTSTANG06 that there are products available to maintain the vinyl...not sure about the cloth top. My $.02

07 GT Prem Vert, Vista Blue, Charcoal Int w/ Satin Alum Trim, Manual, 3:55's, 18" Polished Wheels Mods, Appearance: MRT two-tone light bar, Midwest Auto mirror covers and radiator cover extensions, Billet E-brake handle, cupholder trim, map light accent, door locks, door lock grommets, door sill accent plate bars, & mirror control kit, Roush spoiler, shift knob & floormats, Custom painted plenum and fuse box covers Performance: JLT II CAI w/ SCT XCAL2 93 tune, GTA's
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
I was originally inquiring about a Vista blue GT vert with a cloth top, but never ended up seeing it side by side to compare it with the vinyl top that i have now on my GT. But i am interested in seeing a cloth top side by side my own top. I have seen cloth tops before and i an not exactly set on them. I like the sleeker look of the vinyl top. And my sister has a vinyl top on her 1995 convertible Lebaron and its still holding up very well so i figure, why not?

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008
S197 Member

+1 on cloth top all the way. I had a 2001 convertible cavalier, as my previous car. While i agree this is no mustang it did have a worn vinyl top on it that I had replaced with a black cloth top. made the car look completely different. The fabric tops are very nice which i believe give the car a much classier look, as they have alot deeper black color, and generally look nicer to me. also vinyl gets very brittle during cold winters and is prone to wearing spots because of imperfections in the raising/lowering mechanism. also with the cloth top it was about 100 times easier to keep clean and it looked just as new the day i got rid of the car as when the top was first put on (7 years old)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008

The cloth tops are built in three layers, the sun resistant outer cloth layer, the rubberized middle layer, and the interior insulation layer. The cloth tops will outlast the vinyl tops by a considerable margin in sun or snow, that's why the $$$$ German cars use them. It seems like the vinyl tops should last longer but they don't.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008
GT Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FuzzyDice
Arrow

I also have the cloth top on my vert. In my opinion the cloth top looks FAR better than the vinyl top. There are also many products on the market the keep a cloth top clean as well as preserve it.

But with the top dropped it doesn't really matter

2007 GT convertible - black 5 speed MT: charcoal aluminum panel, black/dove int, anti-theft, cloth top, GT appearance pkg, MODS - MGW shifter, CDC Conv Light Bar, Pony 12V plug, Shelby Hood Pins, Steeda Strut Tower Brace, Steeda Strut Tower Covers, FRPP GTA's, CDC Classic chin spoiler, GT500 spoiler, Agent47 Mirrors, 18" Chrome DD bullitt rims/Continental tires, C&L CAI, Infinity speakers, RoadWire 2-tone leather interior, 4.6 badges, Dyno Tune-Mongillo Motors-New Haven-CT-301 rwhp/297 rwt
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010
Rookie

where can I get the cloth top?
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
from the stealership or from a shop that specializes in it

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

PONY Member

My 2007 GT has the optional cloth top that looks as good as new. It appears that cloth tops do hold up better to the elements. I also would say that he cloth retains its deep black color better. I use a product for the top by "303" that is a 2 step cleaner and waterproofing. It is availalbe for both types of tops but not cheap @ $40 if I recall.

07 GT vert, Satin Silver, 5spd, premium trim, interior upgrade pkg, comfort group, GT appearance package, cloth top

ADDED: 302 Stroker, KB 2.8 Mammoth @ 20psi, DOB belt drive, E85 fed, TR6060, ATI, Cervini hood, Meziere, Pypes Long Tubes, O/R X pipe, FRPP GTA mufflers, 20" Bullitts, Eibach Springs, BMR relo brackets/UCA/LCA`s, FRPP 4.10, etc, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page