• 1 Post By bl817
  • 1 Post By Bullitt95

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Garage
a real amateur

yup, thats me in the title. Sincce I have my car I think it always sounded like this :
so I have no clue if it sounds right or not.

Does this sound normal at all?

it has no issues whatsoever, but 206T kms in the tacho

Thanks

2006 GT Manual Coupe
---------------------------
http://flickr.com/photos/laszlozimmer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017
GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
sounds normal to me. these engines have been said to sound like sewing machines and I think that's pretty spot on. if your not having any drivability issues or codes then just drive, enjoy and keep up the maintenance. that being said, you are getting to the mileage where a good timing set/water pump/lash adjusters will be needing replaced, but not a dire issue IMHO. good luck

lzimmer and Jeremy Weigel like this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

My 2005 GT ticks like that with only 42,000 miles on it. Probably did it brand new. My 2007 did it brand new.

I got rid of most of my ticking by switching to 10W30 syn from the OEM thin oil that is for higher fleet gas milage figures.

Besides, EVERYONE drives in extreme conditions, especially in central Florida, so use the extreme conditions oil.
lzimmer and marylandGT like this.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl817 View Post
sounds normal to me. these engines have been said to sound like sewing machines and I think that's pretty spot on. if your not having any drivability issues or codes then just drive, enjoy and keep up the maintenance. that being said, you are getting to the mileage where a good timing set/water pump/lash adjusters will be needing replaced, but not a dire issue IMHO. good luck

What exactly are : timing set/water pump/lash adjusters (is there any link you would recommend? Are those easy to "replace"?

2006 GT Manual Coupe
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana W View Post
My 2005 GT ticks like that with only 42,000 miles on it. Probably did it brand new. My 2007 did it brand new.

I got rid of most of my ticking by switching to 10W30 syn from the OEM thin oil that is for higher fleet gas milage figures.

Besides, EVERYONE drives in extreme conditions, especially in central Florida, so use the extreme conditions oil.

I never tried different Oil except 5w30 and 5w20 (I am located in Europe/Germany so Extreme condition is well...depends Still, thank you very much !!

2006 GT Manual Coupe
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017
GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
search "JeremyWeigle" (I never spell his last name right for some reason). he just completed a timing system job and has info and pics. the parts are readily available from most online suppliers. as far as ease of install, that just depends on your skills. its not a hard job but tedious and time consuming and can be done with basic hand tools and the aid of a harmonic balancer install/removal tool IIRC. as far as oil goes, its up to you, its like politics and religion, over discussed and beat to death. good luck
lzimmer likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017
PONY Member

Often misspelled and mispronounced even more.

Here's the thread that Richy04 posted his write-up I used to perform the job: https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ustang-gt.html

In addition to the FRPP timing kit I also replaced the stock oil pump with Melling M340 and the FRPP rocker/lash adjuster kit. Parts were about $700. Look on Amazon for the Ford Racing (M-6004-463V) Camshaft Drive Kit for Ford 4.6L 3V Engine. MSRP is $700 but I picked mine up for $425. Also looked for the Ford Performance Rocker Arm and Lash Adjuster Kit (05-10 4.6L 3V) M-6529-3V. Got mine on eBay for $270. I picked up the Melling M340 pump on Amazon for $82.00. I did the install myself. I took my time over the coarse of a week. Most people I talked with said a shop would estimate it at 10-12hrs labor.

Here are the before & after "ticking" videos:

and the slide show of the pics as I tore it down:

2006 GT- Airaid Race CAI, 62mm BBK TB, SR Performance UD Pullies, FRPP Hot Rod Cams, CMDP's, Excedy Stage One Clutch and lightweight flywheel, Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with matching O/R H-Pipe & MBRP Street Axlebacks, Lito 91 Octane Tune
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzimmer View Post
Does this sound normal at all?
Yup. What you're hearing is the normal clicking of the injectors, and it can indeed sound like a sewing machine.
lzimmer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page