Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Andrew James
  • 1 Post By marylandGT
  • 1 Post By Jeremy Weigel

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member

FRPP Hot Rod Cams Initial Thoughts

So I installed a set of FRPP Hot Rod Cams this weekend and have to say I love the old school muscle car lope and deeper note the ole girl has now. I also took the time this go round to clean, prime & paint the valve covers Ford blue while I had them off again. I believe the tune is running a bit on the rich side, but I 'll have to do some data logging and checking plugs to verify. One unexpected side effect is that the change idle smoothness has revealed that my original throw out bearing is probably shot (190k miles on original equipment no surprise) as it rattles/clunks when not engaged in neutral. It goes away immediately when the pedal pressed in. I don't hear it when I get the rpms up above idle (750~800rpm). So I guess I'll be doing the clutch assembly next.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170603_144305.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	702.4 KB
ID:	566593  

2006 GT- Airaid Race CAI, 62mm BBK TB, SR Performance UD Pullies, FRPP Hot Rod Cams, CMDP's, Excedy Stage One Clutch and lightweight flywheel, Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with matching O/R H-Pipe & MBRP Street Axlebacks, Lito 91 Octane Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017
Rookie

Looks great. It prolly just smells rich to you due to the dual overlap on the exhaust ports from the cams...that's how they get their sound

Jeremy Weigel likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage

So headers are right around the corner then? Lol.
Btw, valve covers look good.
Jeremy Weigel likes this.

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandGT View Post

So headers are right around the corner then? Lol.
Btw, valve covers look good.
Yep. Bought a set of open box Pacesetter and matching H-pipe. One of the headers has a dented collector flange that I'll have to get put back in round then I plan on stripping the black protective paint, priming and repainting with VHT High Temp Ceramic rattle can paint. They have a grey that closely matches the tungsten grey of the body. Plan to do the install in early July. Probably do the clutch assembly and rear main seal(preventative while the tranny is out).

Do have to say its taking some relearning how to time the clutch & gas to take off without nearly stalling. Haven't yet though!
marylandGT likes this.

2006 GT- Airaid Race CAI, 62mm BBK TB, SR Performance UD Pullies, FRPP Hot Rod Cams, CMDP's, Excedy Stage One Clutch and lightweight flywheel, Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with matching O/R H-Pipe & MBRP Street Axlebacks, Lito 91 Octane Tune
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew James View Post
Looks great. It prolly just smells rich to you due to the dual overlap on the exhaust ports from the cams...that's how they get their sound
I was thinking that may be why too. Just have to get used to the way she runs now.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017
Rookie

Those were my thoughts as well right after I put mine in...even to this day she still smells rich but a/f is spot on...hope you like them...be ready to talk about them at about every gas station you stop at as everybody seems to like the sound of these.....not really a bad thing though
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member

For those who are using these cams, what is your hot idle rpm? Its currently set to 740 neutral. At times it feels like its about die especially when the AC is turned on and I even have UDP installed. Thinking it should be bumped up a little to 840.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Weigel View Post
For those who are using these cams, what is your hot idle rpm? Its currently set to 740 neutral. At times it feels like its about die especially when the AC is turned on and I even have UDP installed. Thinking it should be bumped up a little to 840.
Mine is at 740 as well...but its an auto. When I was using an e-mail tune my car would run the same as yours...wanting to die.. idle would dip.. car would buck slightly at low speed and low rpms...but after I had it dyno tuned all that nonsense went away. Up it to 840 and see what happens...it should help.. the lobes of the cam might lose some choppiness though...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I know I have different cams but mine looks to be around 780 and it likes it. 840 seems a little high to me.
And like Andrew said, dyno tune smoothed everything out.
Mine DID idle fine when I was running a dataloged tune but I also had cam bucking in low rpm situations pretty much daily.

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page