Pinion seal change - Help with Lug nut pre-load. - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Scott2

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Transporter83 Send a message via MSN to Transporter83
Exclamation Pinion seal change - Help with Lug nut pre-load.

Hey guys,

I had my Pinion seal changed but the mechanic did not checked the pre-load on the lug nut, now it's to tight (whining noise) if we take it back out, how do we know how to place it correctly?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
If only the pinion seal was replaced I would not think you need to check the pinion pre-load. An inch-pound torque wrench typically used for bicycle repair is used to test pinion pre-load, this is with the axles removed.

Your likely problem is that the pinion nut was replaced with an impact gun and not properly torqued to factor specifications. If the nut is too lose this can be corrected by torquing properly, if the nut is too tight the "crush sleeve" may be compressed to much and the original pre-load can not be achieved.

Urambo Tauro likes this.

2008 GT/CS Auto Mods Courtesy: AeroForce, Agent 47, Air Lift Performance, American Racing Headers, Auto Meter, Axle Exchange, Baer, BMR Suspensions, CPC, Canton, Covercraft, Cervini's Auto Design, DaSilva Racing, DiabloSport, FRPP, Fore Precision, JLT Perf, Kirban Perf, Lube Locker, Magnaflow, Maximum Motorsports, Moroso, Nitto, Performance Automatic, Pioneer, Raxiom, Royal Purple, Russell Perf, SCT, Shelby Perf Parts, SOS, Stack Racing, Steeda, StopTech, TA Perf, TCI Auto, UPR & Vortech
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017
GT Member

+1^
As seen in the pic that Scott2 posted, you'll want to use a beam-style torque wrench, not a clicker. Use that to measure the amount of torque required to freely turn the pinion. Tighten the nut a little at a time with a ratchet or breaker bar, frequently stopping to check the preload. On an axle with used bearings, there should only be about 8-14 lb-in of preload. Be careful and DO NOT overshoot that figure.

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017
Apprentice
S197 Member

You'll need a new crush sleeve and crush it to read about 15 or slightly less inch lbs with the used bearings in your case. I'd get a new nut as well. I installed a solid spacer in mine so I don't have to worry about preload, But seeing your mechanic over crushed yours you can't measure your crush sleeve to obtain the proper dimension to shim the solid spacer to get the same proper preload. You could crush a new sleeve to the right preload and then take everything apart and measure it and then put back together with the solid spacer. Lots of work. Good luck with your mechanic. Posts 3 and 4 above are good advice and illustrate as how to measure peload.

Saleen VI Stage 3 Brenspeed 530 hp, Comp Cams VSR 127300, 410 gears, Trufiber 3" Cowl Hood

Last edited by lenko; 06-17-2017 at 11:51 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017
Apprentice
S197 Member

Scott2 said:
"If only the pinion seal was replaced I would not think you need to check the pinion pre-load. An inch-pound torque wrench typically used for bicycle repair is used to test pinion pre-load, this is with the axles removed."

That's possible but you would have to get the nut to exactly that same position it was before you took it off to the remove the seal. It's possible and I've seen posts where some mark the position of the nut, but that's hard to do and I wouldn't rely on that unless the preload read within the parameters.

Saleen VI Stage 3 Brenspeed 530 hp, Comp Cams VSR 127300, 410 gears, Trufiber 3" Cowl Hood

Last edited by lenko; 06-17-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page